Author Topic: Best Fighter Aircraft in Aces High Part 2  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
Best Fighter Aircraft in Aces High Part 2
« on: June 09, 2008, 01:15:41 PM »
List taken down - View these websites for more information.

http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm

and http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 03:01:09 PM by Adonai »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Best Fighter Aircraft in Aces High Part 2
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 01:21:40 PM »
110C-4, one of the slowest fighters in LW arena is rated as speed=average?? 110G4 and 109F 4 speed=good? With LW arena in mind?
You should check your numbers ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 01:28:43 PM »
I wrote this up off top of my head - gimmie break  :aok

p.s I can modify anything you feel should be changed

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 01:47:02 PM »
I wrote this up off top of my head - gimmie break  :aok

p.s I can modify anything you feel should be changed

While I welcome this approach on giving new players a quick overview, I do thoroughly recommend not to simply post such lists in Help & Training "from the top off my head"
I think it's better to double check numbers first before posting guesses here, or you you may confuse new players more than you might help them.

Just my opinion, of course ;)

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 01:49:43 PM »
Well of course the idea is give a general "idea" not exact numbers, if they want they can check gonzo's website
to see exactly how much faster, or turn rate a plane has over one another.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 02:01:45 PM »
Well of course the idea is give a general "idea" not exact numbers, if they want they can check gonzo's website
to see exactly how much faster, or turn rate a plane has over one another.

Even "general idea" should be based on  reality = numbers as much as possible. You simply shouldn't post wrong information accidentally, just because you are doing it  from the top of your head without checking the facts first. It never hurts to check before posting

If someone reads 110C = "averag" speed, he will believe it's better than "poor". That may kill him -In fact more than 50 out of 60 fighter planes in AH2 are faster than a 110C. You rated a 109E as "poor", yet it's considerable faster than a "average" 110C at all altitudes up to 15k.

I may just be a bit sensible about posting in H&T rather than General Discussion or Aircraft forums.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 02:04:45 PM by Lusche »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 02:15:34 PM »
Better yet compare the speed/climb charts as well as fuel, weapons, and weight info on all the HTC aircraft detail pages.

Or have people play around with http://www.gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php

to better get a feel of compared performances on certain planes.

I just wish that page would list bombers, too!

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 02:20:54 PM »
Definally true, I believe once someone chooses a plane to try out they need to hit up
http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm

and http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php

Both these website are invaluable tools to learning all planes and aircraft.

P.S I didn't bother adding bombers for idea was based on fighters in a late war arena only and under 15k.

Easily to argue every aircrafts performance down to numbers but for a new guy with no ACM or knowledge of the aircraft,
a rough estimate can help him understand better and learn to classify planes based on their performance.

But Lusche if you feel these 2 posts will hinder a newer players choice in an aircraft I can take it down?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 02:29:07 PM by Adonai »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 02:51:54 PM »
I think you are misunderstanding me.

I said "I welcome that approach" - meaning I'm totally agreeing with you that some general categorisation is often better and less confusing than posting a bunch of numbers. It's easier to grasp. He who is interested in more detail may indeed look up numbers on the various other pages. It's a good thing.

I'm merely criticizing they way you have done it. Instead of setting yourself some criteria and checking them, you have done it "from the top of your head". Which often leads to plain wrong statements like the ones I pointed out above. I'm merely pleading for a more serious, or if you want "scientific" approach. Get your data together, define the categories and judge the planes accordingly.
While it may be difficult to tulips a very broad category like "maneuverability", things like "speed" or "acceleration" are indeed easy top sort out.

When new players see such a list, they normally tend to read it like gospel ;) So don't just post things from the top of your head - Always try to make sure it's correct info before posting instead of going into lenghty edits afterwards :P

BTW, did you ever visit: http://www.jcsautomation.com/AH_View_Planes.asp?UpdateSort=yes&SortOrder=DESC&PreviousSortField=CMu&SortField=Plane
You could take that kind of approach as a guide....
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 02:57:43 PM by Lusche »

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 03:03:38 PM »
Took list offline, not going to debate over a veteran player on which methods to help a complete new player learn a game.
I only offered 3 hours writing that information up as my way to contribute, I apologise for the post being not worthy enough here  :aok

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 03:14:27 PM »
Adonai,

I think a wee bit of imaturity is coming thru. Your list is a worthy project and offers some decent insight from someone who has taken the time to learn and improve your game dramatically in a relatively short time. No one (including me) is going to agree with completely. Lushes comments were well ment...no reason to act like he just pissed in your cheerios. I think your intentions are good and your info of solid overall value. Build on it and refine it, dont just ditch it...think of us as proof readers not antagonists.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 03:34:01 PM »
Was attempting to simplify the information to a list people can view and see which aircraft fits them best.
However if numbers is what they want they can view the websites given and get more detailed information there, however
was not the intent of this post at all.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 04:01:02 PM »
Was attempting to simplify the information to a list people can view and see which aircraft fits them best.
However if numbers is what they want

You apparently didn't read my post at all:

I think you are misunderstanding me.
I said "I welcome that approach" - meaning I'm totally agreeing with you that some general categorisation is often better and less confusing than posting a bunch of numbers. It's easier to grasp. He who is interested in more detail may indeed look up numbers on the various other pages.

Where do I say "it's numbers that I want"?  I was merely criticizing the rather careless way you were compiling your info

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 05:08:30 PM by Lusche »

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 06:28:12 PM »
"careless" I know, I wasn't expecting my first draft to be perfect on the money, sorry.

Don't worry bout the list, was just trying to offer my input hoping to help community. I won't do so anymore
so there wont be anymore conflicts with my "crappy" way of posting my ideas.  :salute
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 06:34:02 PM by Adonai »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 06:45:17 PM »
I wasn't expecting my first draft to be perfect on the money, sorry.

But you should. Or better: Don't publish quick first drafts without double-checking, at least not in H&T forum - It's more confusing here as many inexperienced players come here for reliable information. Check your info to make sure it's as correct as possible (errors still can happen of course). Or you should at least put a disclaimer like "All values are from my memory" or "My thoughts, please discuss" or similar to make clear it's only been a draft. So people just see a list and take it for granted.

And on a personal note: You should work a bit on your ability to cope with criticism on details. You won't have much of a career in later life if you feel being offended and give up that easy just because someone criticises a part of your work - especially someone actually trying to help you  ;)

But again I DO appreciate your attempts to help, train & educate new players!

EDIT: Just saw your edit... oh my  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 06:52:12 PM by Lusche »