Author Topic: To perk or not to perk?  (Read 133 times)

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
To perk or not to perk?
« on: March 09, 2001, 08:02:00 AM »
There is something that puzzles me. Well, I dont see the need to perk any plane in a 1944-45 plane set, provided they flew and were in combat during those years, and since production numbers dont mean anything here.

Are the Niki and the C-Hog the kings of the arena (so far)? Yes. Indeed we see lot of them ... clouds of them, literally. Look at the stats. Well, why do I have to see clouds of Niki and C-Hog "dweebs" and not clouds of Tempest or Ta-152 "dweebs"? Whats the difference in a "what-if" plane set? I've been playing for many months against some of the best a/c of the whole second world war (P-51D, 109G-10 and Georges for example). Now that we have more of them (maybe we lack only the late Spitfire IX-XIV, the late Yak-3 and the Ki-84) ... why do they have to be perked?

Becouse they were the best from 0 to 15K (Tempest)? Becouse they were the best super-high alt interceptor of the 1945 (Ta-152H)? Hmmmmmmm ...

I know the perk system will be under evaluation for some time. Lets wait and see. But I hope HTC will find a good solution to this weird situation.

No flame, but it looks like using double standards to me.

[This message has been edited by gatt (edited 03-09-2001).]
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
To perk or not to perk?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2001, 10:20:00 AM »
One comment:

If production numbers don't mean anything, then combat shouldn't mean anything either.

Both the Ta152H and the Spitfire F.Mk21 were in squadron service and flying in hostile airspace.  Why should only the Ta152H be valid and not the Spitfire F.Mk21?  Just because the Germans didn't have enough aircraft for it to get into air-to-air combat.

Using production OR combat as the basis of what is or is not valid creates a double standard.

To your point, at a max airspeed of 369mph the N1K2-J would rarely be used if it took perk points as your chance of losing them would be too great.  The only reason the Ta152 is sucking right now is that a lot of people who seem to have no idea of how to fly it are taking off of capped airfileds or turn fighting at low altitude with it.  Once people figure out how to use the Ta152, it'll do great.

I think the F4U-1C should be a cheap perk, say 5 or 10 points.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Spitfire F.MkXIVc to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Graywolf

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flibble.org/~tim
To perk or not to perk?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2001, 11:49:00 AM »
The reason they are perked is to stop a few planes dominating the arena (which would be boring). This was the only reason why perking the F4U-1C was considered (as I understand things).

The Ta152 is a scary beast, my first engagement with one was in a Yak9T and I had at least a 5,000 ft altitude advantage (actually I misread the icon and though I was diving on an Ar234, I realised my mistake when the thing came striaght up at me about 350 MPH =), it was fun, but I was completely outclassed.

It'll be interesting to see how the perk system works out, as Pyro said it's early days yet and they INTEND to have to tweak things to make it work the right way.

As it stands if someone trys to fly the Ta152 exclusively and only engages Yaks or other Ta152s (silly I know but, I just want to play with the maths for a minute), he has to shoot down either 125 Yaks or 40 Ta152s, and land them all, before he can afford to be shot down once!

As the perk points that people aquired last tour get used up I think we'll see a lot less of the perked planes with them turning into scary occaisonal encounters.

It'll make life interesting that's for sure =)

------------------
Graywolfe <tim@flibble.org>

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
To perk or not to perk?
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2001, 04:05:00 PM »

The reason they are perked is to stop a few planes dominating the arena (which would be boring). This was the only reason why perking the F4U-1C was considered (as I understand things).

This is not really accurate.  The F4u-1C was too prevelant in the MA... thus the perk consideration.  Dominance was never really presented as a factor by HTC.  I'm curious as to how the new planes will affect the F4u-1C usage.

AKDejaVu

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
To perk or not to perk?
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2001, 06:03:00 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing the perk system worked into the existing points system, variable and self adjusting as stats in planes and vs planes are generated (even so far as automatically pulling planes from or adding them to the perk list), so long as it didn't turn into 79 griping threads.

Offline lemur

• Zinc Member
To perk or not to perk?
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2001, 12:37:00 PM »
I like the idea of a low-cost perk arena.

As soon as we get more early war planes we could do a rotating planeset (where 1 week would represent 1 year of the war). And as an added bonus we could perk "this year's models" at a small cost.

Spit Is are free, Spit IIIs cost 3 perk points... that sort of thing.