Author Topic: Radar...  (Read 5739 times)

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
Re: Radar...
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2008, 05:09:37 PM »
Trade bar dar for dot dar.  Dot dar nowwhere, but bar dar every where.  When you have to purposely fly across radar in route to your target just to generate some action, something's wrong.

Can the "reporting" of aircraft in bar dar be delayed by a couple of minutes?  That way groups launching from fields would have time to get away from the field before they are engaged.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2008, 05:10:47 PM »
Short range icons is great, it's one of the big factors what makes the arena what it is.

Nothing productive will ever come out of replying to storch, and that says it all. Jaeger all I have to say to you is that JG54 has a way of disappointing, don't expect anything else. If storch can't keep his word, it wouldn't be the first time.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

storch

« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2008, 05:57:08 PM »
like I said vortex you are safe from me but just in case continue running to ack

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2008, 06:04:59 PM »
Actually Chilli limited icons have long been a standard in the CT/AVA. The main reasons behind it is it's more realistic, allowing the occasional bounce, andd forcing people to practice a higher level of SA.  I know some guys come into the AVA and can't stand the limited icons. Personally I've always liked them. You'd be suprised but you can usually tell if a plane is Axis or Allied before you get an icon. 190s TA-152s, and 110s I'm usually able to I.D. before I get an icon. 109s are much harder.

Same for the Allies.   Depending on what planes mak-up the group, there is usually a flashing speck of silver mixed in, which is a dead giveaway.  P-38's also have an unmistakable silhouette. 
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2008, 06:10:35 PM »
like I said vortex you are safe from me but just in case continue running to ack

Oh, what a relief! You had me sweating there for a while!  :uhoh

Truth has no agenda.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2008, 06:17:15 PM »
Okay, now that you know that they are in a particular sector (25 x 25 miles)  and 0 to 20 to 25k altitude.  PLEASE.......... no difference.   You all know I am telling the truth.  Even with dar bar enabled in BOB and clear skies countless enemy slipped through to Allied HQs, even though we had multiple attack angles (hats off to JG11). 

FOR THE LAST TIME WHAT IS WRONG WITH TRYING TO INCREASE ICON RANGE?  Everything here is suggesting higher visibiltity / and detection of enemy aircraft.

The Bardar is to simulate a ground controller getting you to the approximate location of an enemy force, along with a rough estimate on size.  The only thing missing is an altitude.  Coupled with limited icons that limited bit of knowledge gets you into the hunt without giving everything away.  You have to focus on SA or either be jumped or let your prey slip by.  It is by far the best blend of realism and game play.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 06:23:15 PM by TheBug »
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

VWE

« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2008, 07:07:37 AM »
Good. Then I shall expect to see you, and your squad, in AvA no more.

I'll believe it when I (don't) see it. Time to put your money where your mouth is.

I'll come to the AvA any time I please vortex, last time I looked you were paying your $14.95 just like me.

storch

« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2008, 07:17:13 AM »
oh no!!! someone will be working extra hard at getting a tail gun for his run90

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2008, 08:02:08 AM »
The Bardar is to simulate a ground controller getting you to the approximate location of an enemy force, along with a rough estimate on size.  The only thing missing is an altitude.  Coupled with limited icons that limited bit of knowledge gets you into the hunt without giving everything away.  You have to focus on SA or either be jumped or let your prey slip by.  It is by far the best blend of realism and game play.

Agreed, this would be the most realistic method to reflect capabilities of early radar.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »

Agree 100%  :aok

Truth has no agenda.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2008, 08:37:54 AM »

Aye!  :aok

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2008, 02:33:59 PM »

You mean no GS radar?       

I like it  :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2008, 02:57:59 PM »

Ya, and if you're not used to both the bar dar AND the weather, you make a tasty snack over, and over, and over, again.   :lol
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2008, 03:13:16 PM »
Saw this thread and looked at the last page (page 9).

Couple of things to point out:

Delaying dar is a dangerous thing. It can have bad results. It only takes 5 minutes going at a measely 300mph to cross an entire 25-mile-wide sector. The second the dar shifts from one sector to the one next to it, you can head there, but with a 2 minute delay the cons are already through the 5 keypad and on their way out the other side, almost.

Further, dar bar alone isn't very useful for finding fights. Not in low-population arenas. 25 mi by 25 mi is a very large area to try and find a single speck 30k above you and 20mi apart. Takes far more time than it's worth. Dar bar almost always leads to alt-monkey-ism, as folks keep climbing and orbiting as they look for the enemy, and the enemy does the same.

P.S. I don't consider short icons to be "more realistic" because all you see is a 1x1 pixel as a plane representation until it's well within 3k anyways. Real vision allows SO much more detail to be recognized and at longer ranges, than we can see on our screens here. Keep in mind AH runs at 90-degree FOV. That's way wider than normal human vision (this replicates peripheral vision, I think Skuzzy pointed this out, perhaps Pyro). Even zoomed in halfway, about 50-degree FOV, you're still only seeing 1x2 pixels for most cons at 3k. IMO folks calling for reduced icons or no icons in the pursuit of "realism" got things backwards. More info at greater range would be realistic, not vice versa.

Anyway, food for thought in your radar discussion.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2008, 03:16:56 PM »
That's odd. I can usually identify cons well before coming in icon range in the AvA. Heck I can identify different bombers in 5"er's in the MA before they come into icon range.