Author Topic: Quebec man acquitted in police officer slaying  (Read 415 times)

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Quebec man acquitted in police officer slaying
« on: June 13, 2008, 11:27:11 PM »
"A jury in Quebec has acquitted a man of first-degree murder in the deadly shooting of a Laval police officer who raided his home last year.

Basil Parasiris and his wife Penny Gounis leave the Longueuil courthouse after he was acquitted of murdering Const. Daniel Tessier.Basil Parasiris and his wife Penny Gounis leave the Longueuil courthouse after he was acquitted of murdering Const. Daniel Tessier. (Radio-Canada)Basil Parasiris was acquitted on Friday by a 12-person jury at the Longueuil courthouse, on Montreal's South Shore.

He was charged with first-degree murder in the death of Const. Daniel Tessier, who died after being shot three times last spring after he entered Parasiris's Brossard home with a battering ram during a botched drug raid.

The verdict means the jury believed Parasiris's self-defence argument was enough to raise a reasonable doubt about the charges.

The father of two insisted he believed his family was being attacked by home invaders when a police team swarmed their house on March 2, 2007.

Believing the invaders were going to harm him, his wife and his children, Parasiris testified he had no choice but to shoot.

It was only after Tessier was lying on the ground that Parasiris realized he was an officer, he told the court.
Wife bursts into tears

Parasiris's wife, Penny Gounis, yelled "Oh my God" as the verdict was read out, and then burst into tears.

Crown prosecutors said they would take some time to consider whether they'll appeal.

Quebec Superior Court Judge Guy Cournoyer had already acquitted Parasiris of the attempted murder of another officer, Const. Stéphane Forbes, who was shot in the arm during the raid.

Two weapons-related charges were also dropped earlier this week.

Cournoyer also declared the warrant police used to enter the home to be illegal — a ruling that was kept from the jury while it deliberated the verdict for three and a half days behind closed doors.

Parasiris was granted bail after his arrest, unprecedented in any previous Canadian police officer slaying.
Police to review guidelines: chief

Laval police Chief Jean-Pierre Gariépy expressed dismay at the decision, and reiterated the reason his officers entered Parasiris's home in the first place.

"Beyond the verdict, it is useful to remember that Mr. Parasiris had four firearms in his home and only one was legally registered," Gariepy told a news conference Friday night. "We found a variety of drugs and 17 cellphones and pagers in the home."

But Gariepy also acknowledged the trial had raised concerns about how the police operation was conducted.

He said the force will recommend that Quebec's Public Security Department review the guidelines and training for "dynamic entries," and that it clarify the procedures for obtaining search warrants.

Tessier's death and Parasiris's murder trial have been difficult on police officers across Quebec, the province's federation of municipal officers said.

But the federation is disappointed to learn Parasiris will walk on the murder charge.

"We were looking for something else, we have to be truthful about that," president Denis Côté said on Friday. "We have to sit down and see what the verdict was about."

There could be lessons to learn from the raid on Parasiris's home, Côté said, but he refused to say officers involved in the bust were to blame for what happened.

Public Security Minister Jacques Dupuis said he will not be commenting on the verdict at this time."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2008/06/13/qc-parasiris0613.html

sooner or later, they will learn busting into someones house unannounced and out of uniform is a good way to get shot. even with canada's tight gun control.

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Re: Quebec man acquitted in police officer slaying
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 12:26:47 AM »
Crown prosecutors said they would take some time to consider whether they'll appeal.

You can re-try for the same crime in Canada?

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 12:37:53 AM »

Can the Crown appeal an acquittal or a sentence?

The Crown may appeal an acquittal, but the Crown's right to appeal is not as broad as the accused's right to appeal and is very limited. The Crown must show there was a significant error of law. An example of an error of law may occur when important evidence is wrongly excluded at the trial. The Crown may also appeal the sentence but such appeals are also very limited because appeal courts will not usually interfere with the trial judge's decision on sentencing.

Offline Rollins

• Silver Member
      • 4thFG
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 03:22:29 AM »
That's a shame no matter which way you look at it. 
http://www.flamewarriors.net    Here kitty kitty...

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 07:56:12 AM »
It is unfortunate...

On a side note, the person reporting this needs to go back to writing school. That story sucks, grammatically.

:aok
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

storch

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 08:45:15 AM »

yes you can.  they are after all subjects and are subjected to whims of their masters.  incidents like this only serve to re-iterate why it is vital for us in this somewhat free nation to tenaciously fight for our rights.  thank you for posting this alarming cautionary tale vorticon.  remember fellow citizens that the price of freedom is eternal vigilence, take note during this important election year.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 08:48:26 AM »

They don't have the U.S. Constitution, so possibly yes they can. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 10:05:11 AM »
it is a tragic situation but at least the verdict was just.

I think the real problem is government breaking down peoples doors to their homes.  when that happens.. tragedy is sure to follow.

lazs

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 10:31:06 AM »

Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
11. Any person charged with an offence has the right ...
(h) if finally acquitted of the offence, not to be tried for it again and, if finally found guilty and punished for the offence, not to be tried or punished for it again;

The key point here is that he is not finally aquitted until the appeals have been exhausted.  Once the crown has exhausted it's appeal, then he is free of re-trial.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 12:23:44 PM »

You can retry for the same incident here in the US. It is allowed under a filing for a civil rights violation. The same incident, the same allegations of wrong doing, only in the second trial the main allegation that the deceased's (in a homicide but it also applies to other crimes like assault) civil rights were violated the second time around means you get to try the same individual again, using the same evidence in addition to any testimony of the accused in the first trial. In this way if there is an acquital in the first proecution the state can simply refile under a civil rights violation and do it all again.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 01:15:01 PM »
I always confer with O.J. Simpson before making any legal decisions.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 04:18:16 PM »
I always confer with O.J. Simpson before making any legal decisions.

OJ is a great example.  He was found not guilty of murder of 2 ppl, and can never be tried for the murder of those 2 ppl again.  He was sued for wrongful death, as civil liability is not the same as criminal liability.

He can never be tried for civil rights violations for those 2 murders as he was not acting on behalf of the government and as an individual he is not charged with upholding anyone's civil rights.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 04:22:42 PM by Holden McGroin »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 04:21:30 PM »
You can retry for the same incident here in the US. It is allowed under a filing for a civil rights violation. The same incident, the same allegations of wrong doing, only in the second trial the main allegation that the deceased's (in a homicide but it also applies to other crimes like assault) civil rights were violated the second time around means you get to try the same individual again, using the same evidence in addition to any testimony of the accused in the first trial. In this way if there is an acquital in the first proecution the state can simply refile under a civil rights violation and do it all again.
Umm... so they are charging someone for the exact same criminal code?

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 04:22:51 PM »
The key point IMO is "the warrant was not legal"! The cops screwed up and should not have been there. Yea i know he had drugs, unregistered guns, ect... but they blew it from the start. :( The fact that the case even made it to trial with that type of information out there is amazing in and of itself. :O As soon as the judge knew the warrant to be illegal that case should have been tossed out.
I don't know how Canadian law works, but i see a lawsuit coming from the defendant.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 05:10:45 PM »

Prosecutors can't appeal in the U.S.?
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB