Author Topic: I have to quit playing AH when I want to have fun!  (Read 1156 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
I have to quit playing AH when I want to have fun!
« on: June 14, 2008, 09:59:39 AM »
I ended last camp 7th overall rank and wanted to get in the top 5 this camp and top 100 fighters (never done that).  I started out #2 and pretty much held it until this week.

Then... I started flying into outnumbered situations, supressing enemy's where they were upping to attack our bases... I started flying Hurri IID's in base support against Wirbles and Ostis (in fighter mode no less... gotta quit drinking when I want to have fun too), I started wrecklessly driving GV's onto fully functional enemy V Bases (setting up the captures)...

Well, I guess you get the story by now... it was fun!  I gotta stop.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline AAolds

• Nickel Member
Re: I have to quit playing AH when I want to have fun!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »
I'd agree, I had a span of a few tours where I was trying to have a good rank just to see if I could.   Now, I dont want to know my scores and just fly or GV wherever I please with no regard to outcome---other than fun.    Its been great.  Now if I can get my frame rate to stay stable all will be well.
The AArch AAngelz is its own country, we owe loyalty only unto ourselves and those we fly with at the moment.---AAolds AArch AAngelz XO.

I love to GV and do Jabo missions vs GVs, get used to it.  Being good at one helps in the other.

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 10:13:10 AM »
For some it is all about the score and the scoring system rewards certain behaviors.  :(   For others it is about the game play and having fun. Unfortunately the scoring system rewards you more for blasting an undefended strat with a Stuka than it does for helping to clear a vbase to capture it, or trying to wirbels, or clearing a pilot's six when it puts you in jeopardy. 

:salute to all who could care less what their ranking is.
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 12:14:07 PM »
I ended last camp 7th overall rank and wanted to get in the top 5 this camp and top 100 fighters (never done that).  I started out #2 and pretty much held it until this week.

Then... I started flying into outnumbered situations, supressing enemy's where they were upping to attack our bases... I started flying Hurri IID's in base support against Wirbles and Ostis (in fighter mode no less... gotta quit drinking when I want to have fun too), I started wrecklessly driving GV's onto fully functional enemy V Bases (setting up the captures)...

Now, now.... that's what a game should be about, isn't it? Let it go.... resistance is futile.... welcome to the fun club! ;)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Castedo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 02:17:48 PM »
f

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 04:22:38 PM »

There is a point to this.....

Score monkeys are BORING! There are folks out that that "compete" for highest rank every month. It amazes me that at least a few don't hang themselves from the ceiling fan or something every month to alleviate the boredom. Perhaps I just have a low threshold for boredom.....oh well.  :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 04:30:42 PM »
is what you are saying that when you feel like just having fun you should not play aces high because it harms your rank? that you should only play when youre serious and concentrated enough to achieve a high rank?

maybe thats just how i read it.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 04:40:27 PM »
is what you are saying that when you feel like just having fun you should not play aces high because it harms your rank? that you should only play when youre serious and concentrated enough to achieve a high rank?

maybe thats just how i read it.

That's how I read it.  :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 05:05:07 PM »
I took it to mean that BaldEagl has finally found complete enlightenment when it comes to AH.

It's all about the fun.  Score means nothing.

Glad you have found the AH promised land  :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 05:16:33 PM »

Shucks! I've been playing since.....????....but each Tour I choose a Goal in the Scoring system with which to challenge myself.

The Scoring System allows a lot of flexibility considering the wide range of Fighters, Bombers, GVs, and PTs available.

Score is what you make of it...nothing else. Challenge yourself.
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 06:10:32 PM »
I'm just saying I'm not sure I have the discipline to play for rank alone.  Sometimes it's just more fun to have fun.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 06:12:47 PM »
I'm just saying I'm not sure I have the discipline to play for rank alone.  Sometimes it's just more fun to have fun.
You say that as if it's a bad thing.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 07:04:40 PM »
Meh, rank shmank.
I play to play. Yeah I sometimes get frustrated at little things like constantly being wasted by spawn campers, but I'll still keep upping. :lol
I love nothing more than throwing my cartoon aircraft in to big engagements and coming home. I don't make it back most of the time.
When it all gets too much I'll up a set of buffs and climb to 25K and lay waste to everything I fly over. Sometimes I make it back, sometimes I won't.
Did I have fun? Hell yes! Will I ever be NUMBA WUN!!111!!1? No. Do I give a rancid rodents rectum? No.
:salute
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 09:33:37 PM »
The day you stop looking at and worrying about your stats/score you'll start having more fun. Most usually realise this after a few weeks or at most months, but every couple years there seems to be a different small core of new score wh*res that focus on being #1 for what ever reason.

Remember, no one gives a toss about your stats/score other then you. No matter how much you might try and sell it in game and in the forums. Simply because the entire score system has been porked since day one and is an indication only that you've taken the time to game the system. When you see it as the main focus of entire squads it's even more laughable.

Also imho HT needs to remove the stupid "Tour XX Completed Top Scorers" from the front page, straight away your giving newbies and visitors the wrong impression. And bores the rest of us as we have to scroll through the usual list of tards each tour to read the news.

<S>...-Gixer
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 09:37:32 PM by Gixer »

Offline John Curnutte

• Nickel Member
      • Precisionsquad.org
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 01:04:25 AM »
 I'm entertained with my score but look at in its proper content , a guide at best and really play to relieve pressures of my day , when I fly with my squaddies I do my assigned missions and do the job at hand . But  I enjoy the game play and all of you nice people whom I have met in this game and have even met in person . So score is not my main thing at all , i just enjoy .
                                                                                   Thanks Nutte
Don't be afraid to put it out there , if it gets cut off it'll grow back
On your mark , Get set , go away !