Author Topic: A question about DROP_ORD  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
A question about DROP_ORD
« on: June 16, 2008, 01:17:02 PM »
Hi, I've been playing around with one of my older missions, and I'm trying to get a couple of bombers to drop at different targets.  Here's the question: is there any way to get different flights on the same route to drop at different targets?

For example, in the "Segment Properties" for my "DROP_ORD" segment, is there any way to get it so that the planes listed in the "Plane Type" box can drop at different targets/times?  Or, is there any way to do this without using a separate route.

Also, what's the best way to get planes to form up correctly?  I've tried using warp segments, and this works, but then it messes up the timing of the mission (I'm aiming to get all the routes to land at around the same time), so what could I do to avoid doing this.

<S>

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
Re: A question about DROP_ORD
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 01:44:24 PM »
The only way to get multiple targets is to have multiple routes. However, you can space the flights out to get a very good area bombing pattern.

As to your second question, are you talking about landing at the end of the mission at the same time or having your ords land at the same time?
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 02:02:08 PM »
I'm talking about landing at the end.
O o

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 03:53:48 PM »
The only thing I can think of, is to have a few extra segments after the combat area so you can adjust the timing for your return group. for example have the flights in route slow down a bit to increase the flight time so the planes in the route can catchup.

Unfortunately, it still takes a lot of trial and error to get mission speeds and timings correct. Gives you an insight into how much work went into planning these large missions back then.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 02:11:52 AM »
Ok, thanks for your help.  Interesting to think about what this would have been like over 60 years ago.

<S>

Yossarian
O o

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Gives you an insight into how much work went into planning these large missions back then.

Amen... When ever I spend a little time playing with these cool AH toys, and get a bit fussy with them, just the thought of all this in RL, in all it's implications, well, it's overwhelming.  Men really did this, for real.