Author Topic: Question for you gear heads  (Read 141 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Question for you gear heads
« on: June 17, 2008, 09:38:38 AM »
Where can I buy Edelmann connectors and fittings? Would any autoparts store carry a wide assortment? I need them by Sat as I have 4 other 4x4's coming over to do differential/transition/transfer case breather mods.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Question for you gear heads
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 10:30:40 AM »
Your talking T fittings and moving the vent lines so they dont suck up water?

Where does toyota run them on an FJ?

Mine in the rear are all zip tied to the Fuel filler tube. In the front,  I am not sure, I don't do deep water so its not that important...

Most auto parts stores have a big rack of the fittings.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:54:48 AM »
Your talking T fittings and moving the vent lines so they dont suck up water?

Where does toyota run them on an FJ?

Mine in the rear are all zip tied to the Fuel filler tube. In the front,  I am not sure, I don't do deep water so its not that important...

Most auto parts stores have a big rack of the fittings.
Thanks GTo!
They have them on the top of the rear axle, top of tranny, and top of transfer case, just a little valve and no clearance hose. Badly designed. I'm curious if Jeep has hoses or not clearing them higher?

The claim from Toyota is that fording water is not a problem, however if you stay in the water, the diff/tranny/transfer case cools down thus opening up the breather...therefore most that go offroad in these parts do the mod based on the mud puddles and water we have in our forests.  One guy in our club has already lost a transmission due to water ingestion into the tranny.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 11:00:03 AM »
Jeep has hoses on them from the factory, the front dif, tranny and Tcase all go up on the engine firewall near the brake booster.

The rears are tied to the fuel filler hose in the back behind the left rear qaurter panel.   The vent lines in the back made reinstalling the gas tank skid a pain, cause they got hung up on stuff.

I managed to get water in my rear dif, not sure exactly how, but the water was coming in under the doors too, so it was much deeper then I thought...

Deep water and mud are not something I really want to deal with anymore.... after a grand total of about 1200 bucks in repairs and or parts....

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 11:02:27 AM »
Ouch! 

John, my friend, had $5000 in damage but he managed to get his insurance company to pay for it somehow...

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 11:09:47 AM »
Well the parts lists is:

One starter, filled with mud covered under warrantie

One alternator filled with mud, 300$ plus tow.... didnt want to take it jeep covered in mud to the dealer and have them flag me as an "abuser".

New fluids for both pumpkins, and a tranny fluid change 200 bucks with all the pressure washes to try and clear some mud...

Last trip was, 400 for parts in labor replace a clutch fan that mud ruined, and have the radiator and condensor pulled and cleaned out cause mud was PACKED into the fins. The system had to be flushed as well cause mud seeped into the overflow and then got sucked into the cooling system...

Luckly its been a fairly dry winter so no stream crossing will be bad this year.

so I guess I spent less then I thought.... but thats still to much wasted money on "mud" lol :aok