Author Topic: Sponteneous mechanical and hydraulic failures  (Read 1937 times)

Offline slipknot

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Sponteneous mechanical and hydraulic failures
« on: June 18, 2008, 10:38:54 AM »
Seriously now, this will add to realism.

All machines fail. Due either to poor construction, poor design, or poor maintenance, machines can and will break down.

I think that Aces High needs to implement a system where a certian percentage of vehicles simply break down, shut off, or explode with no reason, are random times.

You're flying along, admiring the lines of the 262 you just picked up, and all the sudden, you're back at base. Your later squadmates inform you that you just exploded.

For bomb-laden aircraft, this can include the spontaneous detonation of munitions.

This is an amazing idea.

Offline halo342

• Copper Member
Oh my God, what has the Internet evolved itself into? :huh

Offline slipknot

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Sponteneous mechanical and hydraulic failures
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 10:48:15 AM »
Yeah, okay, and some tool asked for Gremlins too... Consider this a renewal of the request. I will gladly add details to this request to justify its repetition.

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 11:18:25 AM »
It already exists.

It is called a 'Disco'.. Short for disconnect.

Accomplishes, essentially, the same thing.  An external influence to your flight, of which you have no control, that removes you from your intended path.

The only difference being that you are spared the indignity and vulnerability of trying to nurse your plane back to friendly airspace, but, rather, sent to your nice, safe, desktop instead.

And, you're probably not real happy about that.

Adding additional, random, events of unhappiness doesn't sound like a good idea.

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 11:36:54 AM »
...and here is my reply to the afore mentioned thread.....

No, I don't. The game is a simulation of combat...not random equipment failure.

I know....sometimes it seems that combat is the last thing some folks want to simulate....but, that is the intent of the game.  :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline slipknot

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 11:47:41 AM »
...and here is my reply to the afore mentioned thread.....

I know....sometimes it seems that combat is the last thing some folks want to simulate....but, that is the intent of the game.  :)

I know you're probably really proud of that thought you posted, but if it's a simulation of combat, then any aspect of such combat should be included therein--mechanical failure included. Having black and red outs, structural failure during high speed dives and being killed by your own ords and not including these failures is a bit arbitrary.

Now if it's just a simulation of fault-free flight, I might tend to agree, but you said combat, so that's what I'm going by.

Come to think of it, we should have guns jam and bombs failing to explode on impact too.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 11:59:52 AM »
Puffy ack is bad enough.   
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline mentalguy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 12:22:01 PM »
but if it's a simulation of combat

It's not a simulation of combat, it's a game.
PFC. Corey "Mentalguy" Gibson
USMC

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 12:38:29 PM »
It already exists.

It is called a 'Disco'.. Short for disconnect.

Accomplishes, essentially, the same thing.  An external influence to your flight, of which you have no control, that removes you from your intended path.

The only difference being that you are spared the indignity and vulnerability of trying to nurse your plane back to friendly airspace, but, rather, sent to your nice, safe, desktop instead.

And, you're probably not real happy about that.

Adding additional, random, events of unhappiness doesn't sound like a good idea.

I would have to agree.  I get discoed ALOT, so my maintenance men need to be in the brig. :O
Amazing you could actually recruit that much suck into one squad.
Your Proctologist called, they found your head.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 12:43:22 PM »
Bad idea in my opinion.  In offline sims, fine, but in an online sim where we are testing our skill against the skill of other players it isn't a good thing to have an arbitrary random event that decides the fight.  There is no effective way to plan a fight that allows for your #1 engine to sieze.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 12:54:10 PM »
I know you're probably really proud of that thought you posted, but if it's a simulation of combat, then any aspect of such combat should be included therein--mechanical failure included. Having black and red outs, structural failure during high speed dives and being killed by your own ords and not including these failures is a bit arbitrary.

Now if it's just a simulation of fault-free flight, I might tend to agree, but you said combat, so that's what I'm going by.

Come to think of it, we should have guns jam and bombs failing to explode on impact too.

...and all of the stuff you mention is controllable. You control black outs, red outs and wing rips by controlling your speed and the g forces exerted on your plane. You control your alt when you drop a bomb. Not ONE of the things you mentioned is a randomly inserted event.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline slipknot

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 12:57:58 PM »
...and all of the stuff you mention is controllable. You control black outs, red outs and wing rips by controlling your speed and the g forces exerted on your plane. You control your alt when you drop a bomb. Not ONE of the things you mentioned is a randomly inserted event.

The point is, all of the things I mentioned are necessary aspects of flying an airplane--failures included... The failures cannot be controlled, but if they worked really hard to develope the realism, then these spontaneous failures can be minimized through careful flight.

Puffy ack, as somebody mentioned, does a fine job of delivering surprising death. This isn't too big of an extension of that sort of risk.

In truth, I know this idea pretty much blows, but I had no other suggestions tomake today.

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 01:01:06 PM »
In truth, I know this idea pretty much blows, but I had no other suggestions tomake today.

That's || close to being signature material..

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 01:16:50 PM »
....   In truth, I know this idea pretty much blows, but I had no other suggestions tomake today.

And what on God's green earth made you think that you needed to post an idea every day - or that an idea that hoovers dirty pond water was better than no idea at all?  Just wondering....

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 01:28:31 PM »
any aspect of such combat should be included

I'd be dead. :huh
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"