Author Topic: Marine Corps changes?!  (Read 691 times)

Offline olddobe

• Zinc Member
      • http://n/a
Marine Corps changes?!
« on: June 21, 2008, 10:11:45 AM »
I've noticed that Marine Corps drill instructors don't call cadence like they used to.They now just call one two three four etc.,and not like ell ight ell ight,like when I was in.Every DI had his own special call,and I always thought it was kindda neat.Through the years I got my chance to march troops,and I had practiced long and hard on my cadence calling.Even the way they march seems to have changed.
Would someone who was in the USMC please tell whats going on with that please.I would also like to find out if it's true about recruits
having a stress card they can hold up,if they can't take getting yelled at!One  more thing,whats with the patent leather shoes?
Dobe

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Re: Marine Corps changes?!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »
It's getting to the point the Marines either need to change their recruiting habits, or be disbanded.  We don't need any more women and children raped in Okinawa or Japan, nor do we need any more puppies thrown off a cliff for fun.

Shame morons today are disgracing the brave Marines who fought and died through history.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 12:24:50 PM »
Dago,

Don't you think you are painting with a rather overlarge generalization brush there? You are aware that there are many thousands of Marines who do not engage in acts like that.
 :huh

I'm not going to excuse the criminal acts of the very small minority but I also won't tar the rest of those serving with honor because there were some very few miscreants who slipped through the cracks in the selection / weeding process.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 02:06:45 PM »
All its ever taken was a slightly higher than normal amount of miscreants to ruin a group. 

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 02:16:38 PM »
It's getting to the point the Marines either need to change their recruiting habits, or be disbanded.  We don't need any more women and children raped in Okinawa or Japan, nor do we need any more puppies thrown off a cliff for fun.

Shame morons today are disgracing the brave Marines who fought and died through history.

There are idiots and losers in any large group of people.  I'm recently retired... worked with all the military service branches.  I found I'd rather work with the Marines than my own USAF any day.  Ya they're a bit rough around the edges but they have (and deliver) the goods when and where needed most.

Tumor
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline olddobe

• Zinc Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 03:23:20 PM »
Please I didn't mean to speak negativley about the USMC.I just wondered about the Marching,cadence,and patent leather shoes.I know things change over the years,but I fail to see how one could explain how a recruit can be handed a pair of patent leather shoes,and a card they can hold up if they are getting stressed by being yelled at!
Dobe

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »
Don't believe everything (or anything) you read in e-mail chainletters.

http://www.snopes.com/military/stress.asp
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 05:34:11 PM »

One or two bad apples does not, a bad bushel, make.

Besides... all this 'kinder, gentler Marine Corps' BS is just that.  BS. 

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 05:47:39 PM »
Things change over time to reflect the "political" and "social" correctness of the times. I went through Marine bootcamp in 1981, got out in 1994, and things are definitely different now.

When i was in they had just started the hand to hand combat instruction again and the recruits coming out would get into the fleet with all these so called deadly moves. I was a sargeant at the time i had to go through our first training session with these supposed well trained new crop of marines.

I was supposed to rush the young jarhead and he would try to flip me over his hip using this umber move they had taught him. After the second time of letting him do this, just so he could get his practice in, he started saying "well sargeant looks like I'm kicking your butt". :huh

So the third time i throw my arm out like they instructed us to do, as he went to grab it i put a boot into his nads, oops! ;) Sure i got chewed out by the Sargeant Major but the look on the rookies face as he's spewing up lunch?.............Priceless. :aok

Marines are Marines, the training may change, but the spirit begins in bootcamp, then through experience they become true warriors and a band of brothers. To this day i can still tell you the name of the guy that had the top bunk above me in bootcamp, and every single person of every single shop i worked in and every single squadron i served with. :salute

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 12:03:17 AM »
I saw the statistics on this once and the armed services have much less problems than the general public. Don't fall this garbage Dago. The politicians are screwy and so is the Media.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 09:03:24 AM »
as he went to grab it i put a boot into his nads, oops! ;)

Thanks for making my point for me.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Mackay

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 02:10:05 PM »
Thanks for making my point for me.

And your point is what?? Kicking someone in the nads is wrong? He was engaged in hand to hand COMBAT training and did what he had to do to win in addition to showing a young Marine that not everything he learned in boot camp will save him in a fight. You have to be ready for anything and everything and be willing to to do whatever is needed in order to win. Beside there are NO rules in hand to hand combat except to win. On the field of battle there isn't a ref standing there telling you, "No low blows, back to your corners." No rounds, no bells, no 10 second counts. You win or you die. That's it.

If your point was proven by his excample then you need to seriously think about what combat is and what it means. People win and people lose and the loosers end up dead.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 03:54:06 PM »
And your point is what?? Kicking someone in the nads is wrong? He was engaged in hand to hand COMBAT training and did what he had to do to win in addition to showing a young Marine that not everything he learned in boot camp will save him in a fight. You have to be ready for anything and everything and be willing to to do whatever is needed in order to win. Beside there are NO rules in hand to hand combat except to win. On the field of battle there isn't a ref standing there telling you, "No low blows, back to your corners." No rounds, no bells, no 10 second counts. You win or you die. That's it.

If your point was proven by his excample then you need to seriously think about what combat is and what it means. People win and people lose and the loosers end up dead.

Sorry you can't see the point, I will try to explain it to you. 

When you teach someone that while holding a position of authority or power over someone, it is okay to be cruel and abusive while taking advantage of your position or strength, you are abusing your position and basically teaching those under you to treat others the same way.  Hence the many cases of Marines raping young women and children that have occurred, tossing puppies off cliffs, shooting wild horses for fun around Camp Pendelton, etc.   If someone cares to study history, it is the same process that created cruel soldiers among the Japanese Imperial Army in WW2.  They were blatantly cruel to those they oppressed, including the Chinese and prisoners of war captured in places like Bataan because that is how they were treated and how they learned to treat others.

Personally wrongwayric didn't teach them what they needed, he failed them, and while it is just my opinion, the first time he kicked someone under him in rank in the nads and not in self-defense, he should have faced Courts Martial.  Do you think any troop under him could have done that to him and got away with it?  It can be argued he was "preparing them" etc, but that is just an excuse for a sadistic person.  That is why that type of treatment is in violation of the regulations.  The Sargent Major failed the troops also.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 04:02:42 PM »
Don't believe everything (or anything) you read in e-mail chainletters.

http://www.snopes.com/military/stress.asp

Um... no. I've got three friends who have just finished all their entry training, (2 air force, 1 marine), and while the Marine never mentioned any stress cards, BOTH Air Force airmen told me they got them.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 04:05:40 PM »
I saw the statistics on this once and the armed services have much less problems than the general public. Don't fall this garbage Dago. The politicians are screwy and so is the Media.

Fall for what?

The cases I allude to are real, reported, and have been prosecuted.  Sadly it seems way to common among Marine enlisted. 

I have tremendous respect for the history of the United States Marines and the tremendous sacrifices they have made for our country.  I just think something is going very wrong today in the recruitment and/or training of the troops.  It is appearing to be a systemic problem that must be fixed.