Author Topic: Manned MGs  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Manned MGs
« on: June 24, 2008, 11:37:22 AM »
Ok, this is an attempt to address a pet peeve. In most of the WW2 air war biographies and histories, pilots make the point that strafing an airfield involved braving both AAA and fire from small arms/MGs. For instance, I just finished reading Rudel's memoirs and he mentions four American Mustangs brought down by small arms while strafing his field.

Unfortuantely, all we have in the AH2 for airfield defense is mid-caliber AAA (37mm). What I'd like to see is the ability to "spawn" an MG nest onto the field to simulate small arms fire. The MG could be a single MG34, Lewis Gun, or some other rifle caliber MG used in AA defense. The nest would have an MG icon and a pilot should be awarded a kill for killing such a nest, so it would work out for the strafers as well as the defenders.

Also, tie the ability to spawn the MG Nest to the barracks not the VH. If the barracks are destroyed, you have no troops or MGs available to spawn a new nest.

- SEAGOON   
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Re: Manned MGs
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 11:47:16 AM »
 :aok

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 04:12:32 PM »
all for it, but why should anyone get a kill??

Why wouldn't it just count like the regular soft gun batteries?

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 04:30:10 PM »
sounds fun

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 05:01:01 PM »
Wouldn't a jeep or an M3 serve the same purpose ? ... they both have machine guns.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline AAolds

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 06:06:40 PM »
could make a nest under player control and score it like man ack.

To address another matter, kills vs man ack should count for killer and perks should be give to successful man ackers to be put in whatever category they want. 
The AArch AAngelz is its own country, we owe loyalty only unto ourselves and those we fly with at the moment.---AAolds AArch AAngelz XO.

I love to GV and do Jabo missions vs GVs, get used to it.  Being good at one helps in the other.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 06:24:39 PM »
I like this one.

:aok
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline OSU

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 06:34:53 PM »
i like it.  :aok
If I can't win, I die. But if I win, I live. And I can't win if I don't fight.
--Mikasa Ackerman

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 06:58:34 PM »
What's the effective difference from an M3 or M16?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 07:10:25 PM »
What's the effective difference from an M3 or M16?

you dont die? And if the VH is kilt, you can still fight.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 07:13:28 PM »
Sounds fun!  :aok

But also think it should count as a 'soft gun' and not a 'kill'.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 07:22:29 PM »
Rather than an MG nest, why not have the option to spawn a "troop" vehicle (essentially a bailed out pilot) at the field - tied to the barracks as described?

Then it really can be small arms fire as in RL.

<S>

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Swatch

• Copper Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/rtcircus
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 02:36:14 AM »
Rather than an MG nest, why not have the option to spawn a "troop" vehicle (essentially a bailed out pilot) at the field - tied to the barracks as described?

Then it really can be small arms fire as in RL.

<S>

c'mon at least give me better aiming mechanism then!
OFFICIALLY AN AEROSPACE ENGINEER AS OF 1PM JUNE 13th!  Goodbye UC, you've been hell.

Proud member of the 364th CHawks, 383rd BG, formerly the RTC.

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 04:30:17 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks much for the feedback.

Regarding what would be the difference between this and an M3? The answer to that this is not a GV, it doesn't represent a vehicle on the base, it represents the troops guarding the base and the multiple smaller caliber weapons that were fired at strafing aircraft in reality. It would address the minor anachronisms of a) not having small caliber AA defense, and b) having barracks and therefore troops who cannot engage in AA defense. This addition makes the barracks a part of the ground defense in a way that only the VH is at present.

I may be wrong here, but to my mind the VH spawning multiple flak vehicles to defend the base from low-flying aircraft is less historical than barracks spawning soldiers with rifle caliber weapons.

As for the Kill or No Kill issue, I'm not that bothered either way, it just seems to me though that if it isn't a fixed emplacement, but a player spawned item, and has an Icon, and can kill an enemy A/C it should have at least half the kill value of say a jeep. Plus it keeps the "you buys your ticket you takes your chances" element intact, rather than making it an entirely risk free item. But as I said, that doesn't seem like a critical issue to me.

- SEAGOON

SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 07:49:46 PM »
How would it be kept to sensible numbers?  Maybe limited by 'no more than X on the field at a time' (like field guns now), till the source object (barracks) are destroyed.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you