Author Topic: <S> Casey Edwards  (Read 270 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
<S> Casey Edwards
« on: June 25, 2008, 01:00:53 AM »
A Brevard County teenager lost his arm to an 11-foot alligator during a battle for his life early Monday.

Witnesses said the gator attempted to drag Kasey Edwards, 18, underwater as the boy held onto buoys to save his life.

"I got away from him," he said. "Luckily, it was a fight for survival: He was trying to eat. I was trying not to get eaten."

Edwards was taking a 2 a.m. swim in a canal stemming from Lake Okeechobee. He said he was hanging out with friends on the banks of the canal when he decided to swim to the other side.

"We tried to talk him out of it in the first place," said Robert Schriber, a friend of Edwards.

Edwards said he was halfway across the canal when he heard his friends start screaming.

"I thought [they were] just cheering me on," he said, "(I) didn't know there was a gator tracking me this whole time."

The huge alligator pulled him under the water. The canal is about 25 feet deep, authorities said. The teenager managed to grab a buoy during the struggle.

"I thought, 'I'm going for a pretty wild ride here,'" Edwards said. "I knew they usually do a death roll."

Edwards said he fought with the ferocious reptile, finally jabbing his middle finger in the gator's eye as far back as he could get it. The gator retreated.

"I started trying to swim back to the other bank, and that time I realized most of my arm wasn't there," he said.

Edwards' friends called for help and attempted to stop the bleeding once he was back on shore.

"The whole time I felt myself bleeding to death. I was screaming for help, asking God for forgiveness," he said.

But Edwards survived the ordeal. Authorities said they located and killed the alligator, finding the teenager's arm inside. However, it could not be reattached.

Officials said Casey was scheduled to have surgery Tuesday. Doctors made sure his arm was not infected and proceeded with prosthetic options.

In spite of everything, Edwards maintained a positive outlook on the situation.

"There's no reason to be discouraged," he said. "Life's hard enough with two arms. One less isn't too much of a deal."

WTG Casey! :salute
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
Re: <S> Casey Edwards
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 01:21:35 AM »
WTG Stumpy  :salute
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 02:13:56 AM »
kid sure has a good attitude about the whole thing. 

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 05:54:18 AM »
LMAO, and here I am thinking RPM got Casey Mears and Carl Edwards confused!

<S> Mr. Edwards...the alligator fightin' dude!
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 07:27:25 AM »
<S> to Mr. Edwards, but do note, he admitted that he and his friends had been drinking earlier in the evening. Who knows how much this impaired his judgement.  I'll admit I've done the same thing as he, but in a lake that had nothing more dangerous than northern pike.(hehe)  As a young man, I sure as hell wouldn't be swimming in a gator lake, unless alcohol warped my judgement.  It's probably why he's taking it in stride, he screwed up and he knows it. Taking responsibility for ones actions is part of a fast healing process mentally.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 07:34:54 AM »
It's probably why he's taking it in stride, he screwed up and he knows it. Taking responsibility for ones actions is part of a fast healing process mentally.

Thanks Oprah.

The lad is a puff. I'd have banged it out and turned it into a hand-bag for Ripsnort to keep his balls in. :aok
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 10:23:05 AM »
"I got away from him," he said. "Luckily, it was a fight for survival: He was trying to eat. I was trying not to get eaten."

:rofl Pretty prophetic words there. I know exactly the feeling as when i was younger i had a paper route and got attacked by a dog one day. He was trying to bite me and i was trying not to get bitten. I was lucky in that i was close to a tree and put my back against it and just kept swinging my paper carry bag at him till the owner ran out.

Amazing that he survived and he's got a great attitude considering what happened. :salute

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 10:28:02 AM »
The kids life just took a bad turn there but I think he has the right attitude to make the most of it. He sure seems to have plenty of determination and he'll need it to continue on with a normal life. Best of luck to him.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 11:44:40 AM »
Thanks Oprah.

The lad is a puff. I'd have banged it out and turned it into a hand-bag for Ripsnort to keep his balls in. :aok
Wouldn't that be a "ball-bag" then?  You'd have to use every inch of that hide!  :aok :rock