Author Topic: X-52 problems  (Read 862 times)

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
X-52 problems
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
Hi, I've been using my X-52 for about a week now, and it's already had two problems.

The first was a few days after I got it (maybe 2) and I was in Aces High when suddenly the stick completely uncalibrated itself - from the AH scaling screen, it said the stick was pushed forwards 50% when it was actually centred (this happened with both the X and Y axes).  When I checked the Saitek X-52 control panel thing, it showed the same thing.
This happened shortly after I had been using a set of USB headphones (with a built in microphone) for the first time.
Anyway, after I rebooted the computer, it seemed to be recalibrated again, but then I reopened Aces High, this time the stick just didn't respond, then I got a Blue Screen of Death which said "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

I reinstalled all the Saitek drivers (but deleted and didn't reinstall the profiling software), and then it worked fine, but without some of the other functions such as the mouse thing until today.

Today, I was flying a bomber around a capped field, when suddenly the stick stopped working.  After I closed AH, I noticed that on the X-52's MFD, it didn't display anything when I pressed buttons on the stick.  So I rebooted the computer, and same problem.  Then I reinstalled the Saitek profiling software, turned out it was an older version (from it's appearance), but now the stick seems to work fine.

Any help is appreciated.

<S>

Yossarian

EDIT:  Another thing I've always noticed is that when I press the clutch button (the one on the throttle with the "i" on it), the LED for that button flashes on/off, and also the LED for the joystick's main hatswitch flashes on and off.  When I'm not pressing that "i" button, both lights stay on.  By the way, when I have the "Saitek Control Panel" open, and I press that button, the lights do not flash.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:24:13 PM by Yossarian »
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline trumpman

• Zinc Member
Re: X-52 problems
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 01:12:41 PM »
Be sure and reseat your "S" cable running between the throttle and the stick. I have  failures related to contact resistance there. Just too busy flying to order a new one.

Regards,
Trump

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 01:16:57 PM »
Surely if that were damaged/not working correctly, it would only cause the buttons on the joystick segment itself to stop working (as well as the joystick), but the throttle and it's buttons would continue to work.  What I noticed was that none of the button presses were registering on the MFD.

<S>

Yossarian
O o

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 11:22:59 AM »
if the buttons on my x-52 flash, its due to the wire from the throttle to the stick coming slightly out of contact.

Offline Hedworx

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 03:10:30 PM »
I had an issue where my throttle was at 50% even though I had it at idle.  This to was caused by the cable not in complete contact.

Another thing that I have read about that helps and therefore I use, is a powered usb hub.   Calibrate the controls in Windows also.  In the Windows calibrating area, I added a very small dead area to the stick.  That eliminated the small twitching of the controls when looking in the AH settings.

Others may have better suggestions, but this is what worked for me so I haven't looked into it any further.

Good Luck.

"Shunter"

Offline MajQBall

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 05:52:28 PM »
Have you resolved your problems with the X-52.  I am looking for a new joystick.   I have the freedom 2.4 corless joystick.  This joystick is OK but some of the buttons stick and it lacks a second hat switch.  What do you think of the X-52 and do you have the pro version.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 05:59:39 PM by MajQBall »

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 07:25:02 PM »
Have you resolved your problems with the X-52.  I am looking for a new joystick.   I have the freedom 2.4 corless joystick.  This joystick is OK but some of the buttons stick and it lacks a second hat switch.  What do you think of the X-52 and do you have the pro version.

Thanks,

When this X-52 works (which is usually), it is superb.  I doubt I'm using even a third of its capabilities and it's still brilliant, as in it is literally fun to use.  Some people have said that it's too easy to push the stick around; I think that it's just fun, easy, and feels nice/has good response.

As to the reliability, as long as it doesn't do anything else other than what it has already done, I'm happy.  Sure, it'd be nice if it always worked perfectly, but in my opinion it's so good that one or two inconveniences don't matter too much.

Also, I do not have the Pro version.

<S>

Yossarian
O o

Offline MajQBall

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 11:12:46 PM »
Thank you for the information about the x52.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 11:56:23 PM »

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 08:28:18 AM »
My problem is lack of Z Rotation. It's either full rudder or no rudder. I've looked and the properties in windows and it moves nicely. Just not in AH.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 12:43:21 PM »
My problem is lack of Z Rotation. It's either full rudder or no rudder. I've looked and the properties in windows and it moves nicely. Just not in AH.

be sure to calibrate ALL of your axis in AH as well as windows
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 01:13:31 PM »

awesome fix for that issue is

GET RUDDER PEDALS. oh did i shout that sorry.

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 06:37:46 AM »
One thing I found that helps with the X-52, use a powered USB hub.  Most failed units can be traced to low USB voltage.  :aok :noid
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 01:01:06 PM »
One thing I found that helps with the X-52, use a powered USB hub.  Most failed units can be traced to low USB voltage.  :aok :noid

first thing i did when i got mine was walk over to the hubs.

never had an issue its been about a year.

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 03:52:36 AM »
I've about had it with these sticks.

The standard X-52's all seem to have this problem. I've now burned through three of them. I'm going to see if I can't get them to send me a pro stick in exchange of these two standards I have neither of which work. Both having this same problem.
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy