Author Topic: Aces High 2nd Annual Recipe Swap  (Read 6112 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: Aces High 2nd Annual Recipe Swap
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2008, 03:05:20 PM »
due to an illness we had to postpone the fish fry  :cry
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #181 on: July 21, 2008, 04:00:51 PM »
 :furious :furious :furious

I had to laugh at She Devils ex a few months ago.  They were spitting at each other and it was insinuated that, since I do the cooking for the kids by choice, they were eating hot dogs and peanut butter sandwiches and that wasn't healty eating in his opinion.  So she goes over to the refrigerator and reads the menu for the week 'Well Monday they're having ziti, corn, and a wheat roll.  Tuesday they're having mozzarella chicken with green beans and wheat bread, Wednesday they DO get pizza, Thursday tacos, mexican rice, and corn, Friday they're getting chicken Fajitas, and Saturday he's not sure what he's making but it will probably be Salsa chicken or something like that.' *listens for a minute* 'oh really? well tell you what smart a%% why don't you run to the store and tell me exactly WHERE you find those recipes in a box'.  So I'm truly going to laugh when the kids tell him and his new spouse 'Dicho learned to make homemade deep dish pizza.  Now we don't have to order it and we get to pick the toppings' :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2008, 04:06:06 PM »
lol that is funny
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #183 on: July 21, 2008, 04:14:10 PM »
I love my kids.  They know how to slide the knife in without even trying :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #184 on: July 21, 2008, 04:59:05 PM »
due to an illness we had to postpone the fish fry  :cry

YIKES!  Hope and pray everyone is ok!   :pray    :aok

That's better than having a chicken BBQ and not getting it cooked all the way and everyone having trouble getting enough "throne time"

Better late than never!   :salute

ROX

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #185 on: July 21, 2008, 05:03:17 PM »
:furious :furious :furious

I had to laugh at She Devils ex a few months ago.  They were spitting at each other and it was insinuated that, since I do the cooking for the kids by choice, they were eating hot dogs and peanut butter sandwiches and that wasn't healty eating in his opinion.  So she goes over to the refrigerator and reads the menu for the week 'Well Monday they're having ziti, corn, and a wheat roll.  Tuesday they're having mozzarella chicken with green beans and wheat bread, Wednesday they DO get pizza, Thursday tacos, mexican rice, and corn, Friday they're getting chicken Fajitas, and Saturday he's not sure what he's making but it will probably be Salsa chicken or something like that.' *listens for a minute* 'oh really? well tell you what smart a%% why don't you run to the store and tell me exactly WHERE you find those recipes in a box'.  So I'm truly going to laugh when the kids tell him and his new spouse 'Dicho learned to make homemade deep dish pizza.  Now we don't have to order it and we get to pick the toppings' :D

Would you adopt me?

ROX

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #186 on: July 21, 2008, 05:07:04 PM »
sure ... why not? :D

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #187 on: July 21, 2008, 05:13:34 PM »

YIKES!  Hope and pray everyone is ok!   :pray    :aok

That's better than having a chicken BBQ and not getting it cooked all the way and everyone having trouble getting enough "throne time"

Better late than never!   :salute

ROX
The cook had a 24 hour virus.  We had a chicken BBQ Friday night...opened a bag of chicken leg quarters that was bought thrusday and it STUNK.  So we had to make another trip to Wal-Mart.
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #188 on: July 22, 2008, 10:23:06 AM »
Arkansas Crock Pot Brisket ... was off the hook ... was a huge success in my house !!!
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Trucker

• Zinc Member
« Reply #189 on: July 22, 2008, 11:38:02 AM »
Care to share that recipe?   I have a brisket and can't decide what to do with it...

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: July 22, 2008, 12:50:53 PM »
Arkansas Crock Pot Brisket

5 1/2  lbs               Beef brisket
 1 bottle                 mesquite flavor liquid smoke
 ALL                       Barbecue sauce* (see Below)
 8                          VERY large cloves of garlic

Calorie concious?  Trim at least half the fat off the fatty side.  If not, leave fat on and skim it off later...there is a flavor factor

In the largest cookware you have, on high heat, brown (almost burnt) the fatty side first, then flip and brown the meaty side.

Relocate the brisket to a cutting board and let it cool.

Take the cloves of garlic into thin "sharp" strips lengthwise.  Taking a sharp steak knife, cut a deep slit and insert the garlic into the meat.  Repeat this all over the brisket.

Combine all ingredients except brisket in removable liner.  Shake on 4T of the bottle of liquid smoke and reserve the rest. Add brisket and turn to coat well with barbecue sauce. Marinate overnight in the fridge. If you have problems getting the lid to close, using an electric knife, trim off what you need to to get it to fit, and place all the meat in inside liner, covered.

Only add enough BBQ Sauce to no more than 1" below the top of the crock pot liner, reserve the rest for use at the table.

The next morning, place liner in the crock pot base and cover with the lid.   Cook on low for 9-11 hours.

(If you are able to...cook on high for 1 hour and then low the rest of the time.)

ROX Super-Secret Beef BBQ Sauce*

3 Tea bags       Orange Pekoe Tea
3T                   Butter
1                    large onion, chopped fine (Vidalia, if avialable)
1 14 oz can      Tomato Sauce
2 Cups            Catsup
1 Cup             White or Apple Cider Vinegar
3T                  Chili Powder (New Mexico, if available)
4T                  Paprika
3T                  BBQ Spice (Spice aisle at Walmart)
1T                  Dry Mustard
1T                  Extremely Chopped fresh garlic
1T                  White Papper
1T                  Fresh Ground Pepper
1T                  Onion Powder
5T                  Dark Molasses (Braer Rabbit, if available) (OR: 1/4 cup brown sugar if molasses are unavailable)
3T ea              Corn Starch & Water (thickening agent), mixed well (semi-solid)
4T                  Cayene Pepper (Optional)
4T                 Bottle, Mesquite Flavored Liquid Smoke

Take 3 teabags and place in a "knee-high" nylon (so no tea leaves get into the tea) you have borrowed from the wife. Steep in about 1 gallon of hot water until almost a bronze colored darkness.  Remove the tea bags and take the tea to a large stock pot and boil until you have reduced it to about two cups.

Take 3T of butter and melt in a pan on low heat.  Add onions and garlic and gently sautee intil soft.  Add the tomato sauce and combine all the other spices, tea, and ingredients stirring well.  Bring up the hear to medium but  DO NOT let boil.  Add the corn starch/water mixture last, stirring in a little at a time until fully added.

You can double the recipe and use half for the brisket and "bottle" the other half in a Ball or Mason Jar.  Refridgerated, it lasts up to 3 months.

Liquid Smoke USED to be way more potent 20 years ago.  The current version has gotten a lot more winpy--that's why we have to use more today than back then.

Go ahead and laugh at the tea and the way I keep tea leaves out of the sauce--but it works.

ROX

-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline Trucker

• Zinc Member
« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2008, 06:05:01 AM »
Thanks  :)

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2008, 02:34:45 PM »
Sorry, I just had to - just came up with a new one......which the lovely Mrs Wurzel enjoyed.

Chicken in a honey mustard and lemon sauce, served with Spicey rice (or whatever you fancy really).

4 x chicken breasts

1 x Jar Honey Mustard (its a bugger finding it in the UK, but luckily we buy it in the States on each visit)

Cut chicken into small strips

Heat 1 tb extra virgin olive oil in a pan, until hot enough to sear chicken on 1 side

Add chicken - let it get a small touch of colour

Turn heat down to a simmer (1 side of chicken should  still be pinkish)

Add 2 x tablespoons of Honey Mustard, squeeze 2 full lemons into resulting mess

Add scrapings from lemon side (cant remember what the hell its called doh!!)

Add Garlic if required - make sure you taste the honey mustard and lemon mix - too much lemon add sugar, not sour enough, add lemon (according to taste)

Simmer for approx 10 - 15 mins, having stirred the mix thoroughly around the chicken (make sure you cover it while its simmering).

Serve over spicy rice (or plain - tho my favourite is over a good garlic mashed potato)

Serve whilst hot.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #193 on: July 24, 2008, 05:27:50 PM »

Add scrapings from lemon side (cant remember what the hell its called doh!!)

Wurzel

zest , I think.

edit ; yep zest   http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/what-is-lemon-zest.htm

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #194 on: July 24, 2008, 05:40:45 PM »
as for the honey mustard.
one way is http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Honey-Mustard-Dressing-I/Detail.aspx
another way is http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Honey-Mustard-Dressing-II/Detail.aspx <4 ingredients easy enough to make.>
and another http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-and-Good-Honey-Mustard-Salad-Dressing/Detail.aspx
and yet another http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Honey-Mustard-Dressing/Detail.aspx

haven't tried it but might be able to mix your choice of mustard a cup or two with a spoonful or two of honey.

maybe Rox has a tried and true recipe.