Author Topic: Aces High 2nd Annual Recipe Swap  (Read 6017 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: Aces High 2nd Annual Recipe Swap
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 04:02:35 PM »
Bolognese Sauce

This is my personal recipe and makes enough sauce for two pounds of pasta.

Ingredients:

6 slices of pancetta (Italian Bacon) … chopped ... you can get this at any Deli counter.
 2 medium onions minced … Osterizer is good for this.
 2 stalks celery minced … Osterizer is good for this.
 1 large carrot minced … Osterizer is good for this.
 6 cloves garlic, minced
 1 pound ground beef (medium fat)  and 1 pound of ground veal.
 16oz container of Heavy Cream
 2 pinches ground nutmeg
 2 generous dashes crushed red pepper
 1 cup dry red wine (Merlot or Cab Sav are what I prefer ... whatever I have at the time)
 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes

I use an 8-qt Crock Pot for this recipe but it should fit into a 6-qt Crock Pot or Dutch Oven.

Open the 2 cans of tomatoes and pour into the Crock Pot and turn it on ... get the sauce cooking while you prepare the rest.

In a large saute pan, cook pancetta. Remove pancetta leaving rendered fat. Grind pancetta in Osterizer until minced. Set aside.

Cook onions, celery, carrot, and garlic in the pancetta fat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes.

Add meat mixture; season with a few dashes of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring and breaking up meat with a spoon, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. I like the meat broken down as much as possible. I don't like a chunky/lumpy sauce.

Raise heat a little higher to make it bubble after adding the Cream. Add 1/2+ of the Heavy Cream, nutmeg, and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring frequently. You want to try and evaporate some of the Heavy Cream to get rid of some of the water to leave the cream taste behind ... about 6 to 8 minutes.

Add wine; cook, stirring frequently, Again, you want to try and cook off some of the wine's water, leaving just the "taste" behind ... about 6 to 8 minutes.

Add the meat and veggies, along with the pancetta that you put aside, to the tomatoe sauce in the crock pot. If you like a lighter creamier sauce, then pour as much of the leftover Heavy Cream as your deem necessary. Season sauce with additional salt and pepper to taste at this point too. With the cream, salt and pepper ... put some in - stir -taste ... do it again if necessary. Remember ... you can always put more in ... but you can't take it out.

With the Crock Pot on warm/medium, let it simmer for at least a couple of hours, or until you can't stand it anymore (the aroma will drive you nuts) ... cook up you favorite pasta and have at it.

I am lucky to have a pasta shop about a couple of miles down the road, so we enjoy this sauce with fresh homemade cavatelli or short tubed rigatoni. Add a nice glass of red wine, some garlic bread and you would think you died and went to "Italian Heaven".

Enjoy ...

SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 04:17:27 PM »
Indy:  Just like last year you have stepped up to the plate and delivered!  :aok  :aok  :aok  :aok  WTG  I am printing those up as we speak!!

[public service]

*****ATTENTION SINGLE GUYS*****  

When your hot date looks in your fridge & freezer when you aren't looking and sees boatloads of frozen dinners--a lot of things with mold that can't be identified, and while "looking for a glass"...stumbles into your cabinets and can't find one spice whatsoever besides packets of Mc Donalds salt, red flags start going up.  She's thinking this guy lives on fast-food, delivered pizza, and would starve to death if the can opener broke.

You become the two date wonder and the next thing you hear is "It's just not working out"..."There's no spark here"...or "It's all my fault".

We're only here to help you bro's.

Everyone posting a recipe here is helping to make you the Renaissance man-hero!!.  Throw down one entree posted on this thread and one side dish, plus a Caesar or nice, small tossed garden salad for starters with HOME MADE DRESSING (let her watch you make it) at a nice romantic candle lit dinner at your place (we'll help you pick the right wine...just ask)...(CLEAN your bathroom beforehand!).  

Some of the younger guys TAKE NOTE!  By the time you are out of college and have your own place you will NEED this info.  TRUST ME!  We can even make AWmac look like the ultimate romantic if he cooks like this (plus candles) fer his lovely missus!

Sure, the football guys may get the cheerleaders, but they don't always get the hotties or the sweeties!

ROX

[/end public service]

Copy & paste this into Word, print it off, and go have it laminated and keep it in your wallet!

BTW:  Don't thank me, just make sure you brush your teeth and use breath mints.  I'm only here to help.

ROX

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 05:11:53 PM by ROX »

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2008, 04:28:02 PM »
Bolognese Sauce

Slapshot: Yet ANOTHER one that is high-priced restaurant quality  :aok  :aok  :aok  :aok  :aok

Are you a really a chef and just hiding behind the B/K mystique?

Looks very Wolfgang Puck to me :aok

Slapshot = Wolfgang Puck....is that you Wolfgang?  The heavy cream might be giving you away!

ROX
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 04:36:24 PM by ROX »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2008, 04:53:40 PM »

Slapshot: Yet ANOTHER one that is high-priced restaurant quality  :aok  :aok  :aok  :aok  :aok

Are you a really a chef and just hiding behind the B/K mystique?

Looks very Wolfgang Puck to me :aok

Slapshot = Wolfgang Puck....is that you Wolfgang?  The heavy cream might be giving you away!

ROX

:rofl ... If I had his money ... I'd burn mine.

I just enjoy cooking, eating, and tasting good food. My job has sent me all over the world and the opportunity to eat at fine dining establishments with my customers ... from sushi to real "fish and chips" (wrapped in paper) in an old English village pub.

I drive my wife nuts because I am addicted to watching ... Top Chef ... I am fascinated and always interested in the combination of flavors that they create and put into their dishes.

For me ... food is all about the taste and/or combinations of tastes.

I have paid more than $25.00 to try Bolognese sauce in some high class restaurants that can't touch mine ... YMMV.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 04:57:15 PM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2008, 05:18:27 PM »
Squirrel Gravy!

Grab Ruger 10-22 Load the 10 shot magazine with 22s. Naw put 10 shot magazine back in duffel bag, Grab Hi capacity Magazine. Cram 50 shells into and go to woods.

Sit and wait by Beechnut tree, and wait and wait until dawn breaks. Spot squirrel. Unload all you got at laughing bastage squirrel. Heck with this run back to truck, grab 12 gauge auto. Find formidable squirrel and unload everything you have on him. Pick up squirrel buy bush and rock and next to tree. Take squirrel home. Fry him up and let simmer. Maybe soak him in salt first. Once fried to a reddish brown. Throw bony, gamy rodent away. Add about 2 tablespoons of flour to a 3 cups of milk. Slowly bring to boil. Oops throw some butter in there. Mash lumps with fork, add more flour, and then add more milk, maybe more flour.  Season with salt and pepper. Wait until gravy thickens, hopefully not to the point of wet bread, and whala, Squirrel gravy.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 05:29:16 PM by Getback »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2008, 05:28:05 PM »
Nwbie:  Your quick pretzel cheese dip is the SCHIZNITZ!    :aok  :aok  :aok  :aok

Had to use no-salt pretzels...derned high blood pressure :(

Well done!

ROX

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2008, 07:32:34 PM »
I've got one son who would eat peas at all meals every day if I let him. I run out of ways to cook those real quick.  In fact, I'm thinking that a pea recipe book is going to be a gift from me to him for when he moves out of the house.

Texasmom i also am a pea eating freak. :aok I put em in/on almost anything. Toss em in rice dishes, scoop some on spaghetti, heck i've even had em mixed in with mac and cheese. :lol

One of my favorite nuke and go to work quick meals is a baked potatoe covered in butter and sour cream, then some peas or corn on top. :aok Sure my heart screams NO but my belly says YES. :lol

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2008, 11:57:33 PM »
Quick salmon (or trout) fishcakes

Buy (or catch) your prefered fish

Steam the fish until cooked - personal preference is lightly done

Boil potatoes - then mash until smooth (or lumpy) - whichever you prefer

(I add pea's/corn to mine) - cooked obviously

Combine fish, pea's/corn with mashed potatoes - adding a bit of lemon/orange rind as to your taste

Shape into patties/fish cakes

Roast in oven for 20 mins at a highish temp

Serve with a salad, juice lemon/orange over them before serving

Lovely jubbly, jobs a good un

Wurzel (and yes, I got this one from the Telly)

I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2008, 12:07:33 PM »
Anyone know how to make Tuna-Mac? I know it's elbow macaroni, peas, and tuna. But i'm forgetting something and i can not remember if it was mayo that got put in or what? If i remember right my mom made it by cooking the pasta, drain and let it cool then mix in the peas, tuna and mayo? Does that sound right? Guess i could make it like that and see what happens. :D

BTW tried the meatloaf recipe. Was very tasty. :aok I used Bob Evans spicey sausage in it. MMM MMM good. I left out a few of the spice ingredients i didn't care for but the spices in the sausage probably made up for that. Instead of bread crumbs i used oatmeal, that's what my sister said she uses. She's going to also try your recipe using all the ingredients you listed as she loves to cook and meatloaf is a family favorite. :salute

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2008, 12:11:26 PM »
Anyone know how to make Tuna-Mac? I know it's elbow macaroni, peas, and tuna. But i'm forgetting something and i can not remember if it was mayo that got put in or what? If i remember right my mom made it by cooking the pasta, drain and let it cool then mix in the peas, tuna and mayo? Does that sound right? Guess i could make it like that and see what happens. :D
Take what you've got there, add in some diced carrots, diced celery and diced onions.  Douse it with mayo.  I prefer the tiny mac noodles instead of the regular elbow noodles ~ that way the noodles are the same size as they stuff you've cut to put in there.  I don't know why I prefer that. I'm sure it tastes the same with regular sized noodles...

At any rate, add carrots, celery, onions & mayo to the peas & tuna; salt & pepper to taste.   :aok
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Slamfire

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2008, 01:23:18 PM »
Bolognese Sauce

This is my personal recipe and makes enough sauce for two pounds of pasta.

Man that looks excellent Slapshot - I will be trying it, thx for posting.

The following is how I make mine, as taught to me by my dear old mom, who learned it from her own dear old mom.  You will be hard pressed to ever find better IMHO.

PASTA SAUCE

Ingredients
-=-=-=-=-=
- 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (high quality)
- 1 whole white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 25oz Hunts Tomato Sauce (can)
- 12oz Hunts Tomato Paste (can)
- 20oz Hunts Tomato Puree (can)
- 1 Can of Campbell’s tomato soup (add only if you like a thinner sauce)
- 1 pound of 7% lean ground beef
- 2 spicy Italian Sausages
  note: ground veal and/or ground pork can be substituted in for sausages – about  ½ pound.  Veal is incredible stuff but is sadly getting hard to find.
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of chili
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Handful of torn up Fresh basil leaves (tear each leaf in 3 pieces).  Add tablespoon of ground/dried basil if fresh can't be found.
- 1 tablespoon of Oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon of pickling spice (in small metal spice ball)

Directions
----------
- Combine pepper, turmeric, cloves, cumin, chili powder, curry powder and salt.  Call this Bowl #1 and set aside
- Combine oregano, sugar, basil and spice ball in a bowl.  Call this Bowl #2 and set aside
- Peel Onion and Garlic.
- chop up garlic/onion as fine as possible (i use a food processor because I have zero knife skills)
- De-skin both sausages, and knead into ground beef until well mixed and put aside
- Put Olive Oil, chopped onion and garlic in large pot, heat 50% on stovetop and stir around until tender (onions will be translucent about 6-8 mins)
- Take out contents from pot and put aside.  Pot should be empty again
- Add Bowl #1 + meat mixture to pot.  Heat at 80% on stovetop until meat is browned.  Break up and stir around with large spoon.  Mix it well as it browns
- Take pot off fire, add onion/garlic mix
- Add all canned Tomato products to the pot (over the meat)
- Add Bowl #2 to pot
- mix contents of pot thoroughly with large spoon
- Cover, Bring pot to boil at 100% heat on stovetop (this only takes 5 mins or thereabouts).
- As soon as it starts boiling (you'll hear big pops of air going through the pot), bring down heat on stovetop to 10% heat.
- Let simmer for 1.5 hours (again, pot covered, low heat)
- Take off stove, and let sit for 5 hours at room temperature (Mix around a few times during this time)
- Put entire pot in fridge for 24 hours and let the sauce "age" (Mix around a few times during this time)
Aging the sauce is key - it won't be anywhere near as good if you eat it right then and there.
- Divide into small plastic tupperwear type containers, and freeze
- to enjoy at a later time, thaw tupperwear container in fridge overnight - then reheat your portion of sauce at lowest heat in a small pot.  Enjoy with your favorite pasta dish.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Chief Marshal, Elite Top Aces
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2008, 02:09:49 PM »
Here you go. This lady makes it almost like my mom did, but instead of crackers my mom used oatmeal. Think the reason for oatmeal over crackers was it was cheaper back in the day. At least that is what my sister says she thinks was mom's reason. I think she just tried to trick us into likeing oatmeal. ;)

There is no sausage used in this recipe and that's how i remember my mom making it, but i actually liked the addition of the sausage, so you can do it either way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqpqx-Qm7lk

I really liked it with the spicey sausage added, so instead of 1 and a half pounds of ground chuck, just use 1 lb of ground chuck, then a half pound of sausage.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2008, 03:27:44 PM »
alright rox........I beat ya to it.

here's the simple ingredients for the worlds best "white lightening"...  Roast beef on Pumpernickel w/ horseradish cheese spread.....just finished lunch...and dayum it was tasty.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2008, 04:06:47 PM »
"ROX, NwBie- old midwest brethren, who knew.  Born and raised in Hazel Crest and Chicago Heights.
Try these potatoes with that batch of NwBie meatloaf  (and I second the need for the ground pork, it really makes it)
Saw this on Food Network and tried it, some of the best things I've ever had. "

McAllister Potatoes - my heart valves are clogging reading this recipe already - cant wait to try em :) - i luv tater recipes- but what the H is a pepedew pepper? never heard of it -- Hazel Crest and Chicago Heights - real fine towns :) - my wife is a states attorney - felony review - many clients in those towns these days :)
Got this one from my sister years & years ago when I asked for some appetizers for a party I was having for a friend opening up a business years ago, he needed "models" for a traveling lingerie "modeling' business in the local bars and clubs- lol- he asked me to help him impress the applicants to show them  he had more class then just chips and dip and beer - he was a nut lol-
I scarf em up- not sure where the original recipe came from

Impress the girls Tex Mex Wontons
1.5 lbs Chicken Breast
2 teasp. chili powder
1 cup Ranch Dressing
2 teasp. Paprika
1/2 teasp salt
1/2 teasp. pepper
2 teasp. Garlic Powder
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1 Red Pepper, 1 Green Pepper - Chopped into small pieces
1 package wonton wrappers
2 T oil
Container Sour Cream
Salsa

Preheat oven to 350
Cook Chicken in oil in frying pan til done, and chop into small pieces
In bowl mix ranch dressing and spices- mix in chicken pieces
place wonton wrappers in a small muffin tin pan to form cups - (or like I first had to - using tin foil, make tiny cup forms with tin foil and position on a baking sheet with wonton wraps inside - it actually works - but muffin tin way less time consuming)
bake wrappers for 6 minutes and let cool
Spoon about 1 T mixture into each wonton cup - cover it with shredded jack cheese, and sprinkle the chopped peppers on them
Bake for 10 minutes -
Serve with sour cream and salsa
They are delicious

NwBie

ROX - Next trip to the grocery store gonna get some nanners and do it up for the kids - I think it will be a nice treat for them - especially with this upper 80's weather we are getting now - nice cold treat - and they need the nanners for the vitamins - they have no problem asking for candy right after they say they are too full to eat their dinner - lol

Made this today.  Couldn't find wonton wraps so I settled for regular tortillas.  The kids and She Devil scarfluffied them up in record time  :aok
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2008, 04:16:47 PM »
This one is excellent if you like hot spicy food.  It takes 1 1/2-2 hours to prepare and uses every pot and pan in the house but it's worth it.

Thai Chicken (4 servings - slightly modified by yours truely)

1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup vinegar
2 green onions, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2-2/3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cubed
1/2 pound thin spaghetti cooked al dente
3/4-1 pound asparagas cut into mouthsize pieces and steamed until tender

Combine the marinade ingredients (1st list) in a small sauce pan ans stir. 
Place the raw chicken breasts in an adequate tupperware container with three tablespoons of the marinade covered for 20-30 minutes at room temp.
Once marinaded, saute the chicken in a non-stick pan for 7-10 minutes at slightly below medium heat.
Warm the reamining marinade on low heat
Put the cooked pasta in a large bowl, add three tablespoons of marinade and toss.
Put the cooked chicken and steamed asparagas on top of the pasta, then pour on the remaining marinade and toss.

You can also add jalapeno pepper to the marinade as an option.

I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.