Author Topic: NBC settles lawsuit over man’s suicide  (Read 567 times)

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
NBC settles lawsuit over man’s suicide
« on: June 26, 2008, 01:41:16 PM »

Hello Louis....I'm dateline NBC's Chris Hansen...why don't you have a seat over there......

I dunno......I have a problem having ANY sympathy for this freak.......and if you ask me......NBC should have fought the good fight here....

+   +   +   +   +

NEW YORK - NBC has settled a lawsuit brought by the family of a man who killed himself when the crew of TV show “To Catch a Predator” showed up at his home to film his arrest, according to court papers.

The $100 million lawsuit was brought against NBC by the family of Louis W. Conradt Jr., an assistant district attorney in Rockwall County, Texas, who shot himself as he was about to be arrested by police for attempting to solicit a minor over the Internet.

Accompanying the police were a crew from the NBC show “To Catch a Predator,” who were filming the arrest for a segment to be broadcast later, court papers show.

A representative from NBC was not immediately available to comment on the terms of the settlement. The agreement was first reported by the Los Angeles Times.

Msnbc.com is a joint venture between NBC Universal and Microsoft.

The premise of “To Catch a Predator” is that someone poses as an underage girl in an Internet chat room and then lures men who want to meet them to a house. Instead of finding the girl, they are confronted by the TV show’s host and a camera crew.

In Conradt’s case, local police decided to arrest him at his home after he failed to show up at the prearranged house. Conradt took his own life as the police and camera crews entered his home.

Conradt’s sister sued NBC Universal, alleging it is responsible for her brother’s death and the harm to his reputation and name, according to court papers.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: NBC settles lawsuit over man’s suicide
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 02:39:30 PM »
How is NBC responsible when they didn't even get the chance to sit down and chat with him.  What if NBC wasn't there and the police showed up at his door.  Would we have seen a $100 million lawsuit against the police department?
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 02:53:22 PM »
Scumbag kiddie rapist lawyer did us all a favor when he offed himself.   

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 03:08:33 PM »
It's a sad story.

The case needs to be thrown out.

If he's roasting on a spit in H-E-double-hockey-sticks, he deserved it.

ROX

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 03:28:10 PM »
I wouldnt have settled.
far as Im concerned
The perp did the only honorable thing left
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline SpazMan

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 03:42:06 PM »
Harm to his reputation and name...... :mad: Of course that was NBC's fault, he had nothing to do with trying to solicit a minor.......Freaking guy hope his brain matter splattered all over his sister's face.... :furious

Stupid crap like that is what's wrong with this country......So much for saving money on housing and feeding him for life...

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 03:45:52 PM »
I wouldnt have settled.
far as Im concerned
The perp did the only honorable thing left

you're not a network.  this opens more litigation sure to head NBC's way.

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 03:55:39 PM »
WTF? When did this all go down?  :O

His sister made a frivilous lawsuit to protect the journalist's reputation? She's really just pushing the fact that this hypocrite should have just done his time... Killing urself is a selfish act; coward... I really woulda Tivo'd that episode for sure.
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 04:34:25 PM »
Conradt’s sister sued NBC Universal, alleging it is responsible for her brother’s death and the harm to his reputation and name, according to court papers.

:lol :lol :lol

If the scumbag hadn't tried to hit on a minor he wouldn't have had to kill himself.

All the family did with the lawsuit was get international coverage for the scumbag and his family. Now the whole world knows. :rolleyes:  :(

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 04:46:32 PM »
So he is guilty until proven innocent?

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 05:44:37 PM »
So he is guilty until proven innocent?

....or dead.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 05:51:29 PM »
Hmmm...In court, they'd want every single little detail (such as a transcript of what was said in the chatroom) and all the details they could get. However, His defence (Or the case of his relatives litigation, in this case) Might be that He didn't show at the house because he realized it was a minor. There might also be a case for entrapment. I dunno. Gotta read the whole story and get all the details. This is kinda the epilogue to the whole story, So we'd have to go backwards' to determine everything.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 08:15:53 PM »
Isn't there still some harassment or delinquency charge that could be brought against him for talking to the "child" in what was probably an obscene conversation?

Like you said, have to get all the details.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
How many of you know the history of the founder of Perverted Justice?
Perverted Justice is the "consulting firm" NBC hired to do those "To Catch a Predator" shows.
From what I understand, he tried to set up a business partner in some contrived sexual escapade, and happily admitted the frame up and his prowess in doing it. I think NBC settled because they were going to have huge problems with Perverted Justice. Google them , and their founder, Xavier Von Erck  (much catchier than his real name Phillip Eide) and make your decision.

Like most vigilantes, this clown has a very dark side. Yes, the devil does good sometimes and catching sexual predators is a good thing. But NBC could have found a better crew to do this with.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 01:13:42 AM »
Isn't there still some harassment or delinquency charge that could be brought against him for talking to the "child" in what was probably an obscene conversation?

Like you said, have to get all the details.

Do you ever believe anyone is what the say they are on the net? I'm always dubious. In reality he had some dirty chat online with someone pretending to be a kid, maybe he knew they weren't but who know's.

So the question is if he didn't show up to the meeting was he really guilty of a crime?

If you say yes then there are quite possibly some posts on this BBS which would see half the members locked up.