Author Topic: Ack not so bad...  (Read 135 times)

Offline lemur

• Zinc Member
Ack not so bad...
« on: December 25, 1999, 04:10:00 AM »
The main thing is to give it a learning curve to taking out the critical parts of a field, but also make it not impossible for a relative 'newbie' to eventually do it as well.

I've found I can consistently take out one ack provided I use 500lb bombs, a fast approach and drop from very low level (pretty unrealistic, as the bombs should take me out too). But I find that I can rarely made a safe egress without at least getting my motor shot out.

Perhaps UBER Acks but with limited arcs of fire so making a 'correct' pass (in this way, out that way) rewards a seasoned player?

The best balance might also be to add some larger buildings that are critical to base defence (garages for the flak panzers when they're added?) so the heavy fighters get to play too. Add in flak panzers and I bet it's suddenly too hard again. With building that are 'hittable' by fast moving fighters (i.e. hard for the FPs to tag) the two can balance each other out a tad.

One request is that we have randomly placed acks with some sort of visual cue as to where the acks are (sandbags?). Right now it's too easy to take out all acks with a single pass by a b-17. Place them randomly to avoid this, but make them visible from higher alts so they can be spotted (not just memorized)

As it stands now an only marginally well-planned attack can take a field with little hope of the defenders holding onto the place. Once people learn the right combo, a field falls rediculously easily. I guessing the hard part is going to be balancing all of these out to make it remain fun for everyone working as a team.

In other words, true flak guns that can take out (or at least damage) high, non-manovering targets like bombers. But this AA is vulnerable to low level attack by fighters along with limited range and AA machineguns that hit low level targets but are vulnerable to high-level attacks.

Make it so the little guys can help the big guys and vice-versa. But also make it possible (but difficult) for them to each work separately

My dos pesos

~Lemur

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Ack not so bad...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 1999, 05:00:00 AM »
"One request is that we have randomly placed acks with some sort of visual cue as to where the acks are (sandbags?). Right now it's too easy to take out all acks with a single pass by a b-17. Place them randomly to avoid this, but make them visible from higher alts so they can be spotted (not just memorized)"

It is possible to see acks from 70,000ft, you want to see acks from the orbit with your own eyes?
I Think we have quite a relaxed realism here with spotting targets from altitude like 25,000ft.
Guess you didn't see flakpanzer from that high while it was under camoflage and covered by other stuff around...
(note, this is just flakpanzer, i would say its even harder to see stationary flak gun)

What I would like to see, would be to have more acks and with some reduced lethality..
Also make ack fire more dispersing, now it seems like its laser.
(note: its easy to go through acks now when ack fire doesnt spread everywhere, if knows the trick)

Also it wouldn't bother me if acks wouldn't be visible from above 10,000ft or so, it would just make it more intresting and require more than just hop into norden and pull on the trigger.
It was quite intresting in v0.33 when there was no zoom and couldn't see anything from above 7k, nor have messages of killed structures.. bombing blind just with some recon picture or your memory was intresting  

funked

Ack not so bad...
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 1999, 03:16:00 PM »
My dad commanded a platoon of M113 APC's with Vulcan 20mm gatling guns and radar.  He saw the AH ack and laughed his butt off.  It's much better than anything in the history of warfare.  Certainly better than some hung-over guys with a .50 cal sitting a ditch...

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Ack not so bad...
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 1999, 12:22:00 AM »

Also it wouldn't bother me if acks wouldn't be visible from above 10,000ft or so, it would just make it more intresting and require more than just hop into norden and pull on the trigger.

Yup, you're right Fishu.  While we're at it, lets get it programmed that once a certain amount of damage to a field is done, no fighters or buffs can take off from that field.  The field is essentially closed.

-Ding

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Ack not so bad...
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 1999, 07:51:00 AM »
Funked: acks in AH are not based on realistic acks..
(how many fields had maybe 3 acks with 7.5k ceiling and nothing else?)

What I heard HT saying, was that those laser acks are made to decrease vulching... (though, does decrease usage of bombs in fighters quite significantly also)

Mr.ED

Ack not so bad...
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 1999, 10:01:00 AM »
Hey I've been rocketing  ack, in me 51, this is what I call fun!!

Two of us hung over, with belt fed hand held 30 cal M-60 MGs shot down a rotory wing tank killer. Don't discount the ground pounder!