Author Topic: The REAL problems with flak guns  (Read 129 times)

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
The REAL problems with flak guns
« on: January 24, 2001, 09:46:00 PM »
THe real problems with flak guns (88mm and 5") are as follows:

1. it's ability to track at high speed. Man a 5" gun on fleet and see if you can track a 400 MPH fighter OUTSIDE of Icon range. Very Very difficult. Inside Icon range... forget it. Especially in a dive, those guns just don't traverse in Y that fast. I don't know the 88mm as I can't man them.

2. The computer controlled gunners have infinite range markers. If you are outside normal icon range, you should be also for the computer gunner. That means it should not be able to calclate aim based on your exact range information.

3. 88mm can fire through terrain. I was attacking Knit ammo factory today. 88mm started firing at me. I flew behind the mountain to come aound the other side. Although line of site was gone, 88mm continued to fire and trail flak all around.

So, The main problems I think are #1 and #2. Make the computer gunners have the same problems as player gunnners and the problem will be solved.

------------------
"Wing up, Get kills, Be happy"

Midnight
13th TAS

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
The REAL problems with flak guns
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2001, 11:07:00 PM »
Agreed. I have a heck of a time even gettin a single flak burst anywhere near a con from the 5" guns when they are outta icon range. But the otto flak is more accurate than patriot missiles.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group