Author Topic: I hope this is one of the better 4th of July weekends I've had  (Read 969 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Just ordered everything but the Video Card.

ASUS P5K-E P35 775 RETAIL
2Gx2-MUSHKIN 996619 PC-8500 (1066)
APEVIA(ASPIRE) CF4SL-UBL-LED
LINK DEPOT 12" 3PIN POWER EX CABLE

ASUS-SILENT KNIGHT II CPU COOLER

I'm hoping everything goes good.   Mushkin has been recommended to me by Mushkin (damn good Tech. Support for their forums.  My post was answered within two minutes), and MANY friends.   I have a friend from my work who has built a ton of PC's and is gonna help me out.    I debated on the Cooler the most, this one seems to be pretty darn good.   I don't like the "pin" style ones.   

I will be posting some pics of a "clean pc" after this is done.   Mine is VERY CLEAN right now, but this will be even better.  I haven't seen a cleaner "X-Cruiser" case to date.  I have absolutely NO INTENTION of OC'ing anything but the Memory to 2.0v if I need too.   I'm hoping a lot of this is "plug and play.   I'll be reinstalling XP Pro.   I will be sticking with SP2.   My disc has 1 and having the minimal amount of programs running is mighty tempting.   But, I'll go to SP2 and ignore SP3. 

I'm looking at a 9800GTX now.   8800GTS's seem hard to come by and now I'm reading horror stories of BFG's being "reused" with "overlapping stickers" and "being dusty".   Wife wanted me to wait a week or two on the VC, I obliged. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 09:57:25 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Re: I hope this is one of the better 4th of July weekends I've had
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 11:08:06 PM »
Congrats! But did I miss something? I don't see the cpu.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:15:17 PM »
I have only the highest recommendations for BFG products in my personal experience.  About 3 years ago my trust ti4600 fan was making the dying noise.  So I called their tech support asking if I could at least order a replacement fan.  They told me that even the fan is covered by their lifetime warranty.  So I RMA'd the card and in return I was given a new 5900XT (I know it was the 5xxx series, but at least a sort of upgrade since the 4600 was discontinued).

A few months later I was getting BSOD during some games, so I called their tech support and they transfered me to one of their engineers (not a read from script Joe) who pointed me to check out my PSU as causing the problems.  He was right, my voltages were severely weak.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 12:54:12 AM »
Congrats! But did I miss something? I don't see the cpu.

Getback if I recall correctly, he already has an e8400 which he had ordered roughly a month ago.  Bought a few things first then was gonna order the other stuff later, which later is here now looks like.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 01:03:17 AM »
Karaya you will have essentially the same system I have, although yours a tad better.  Mine has not glitched even once or balked or anything but work like it is supposed to.  I have not done any overclocking nor do I see any need to.  I am using the stock intel cooler on my 8400 and after a good hour and a half of gv'ing in here my temps on both cores have not risen above 39 with an average room temp of 76 degrees.  Idle temps run at 32 to 33  using the Realtemp software.

I do have an Evga 8800gt  512mb vid card.  The frames stay at 60 no matter what I do, smoke, explosions, fire, etc.  and have not had any puter freezups like in the past with old computer.  I am sold on a good power supply.  I used to think it really didnt matter much but after getting a good one I can see the difference.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 02:39:53 AM »
Here's hoping everything goes well.  I'm sure you're going to like it.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 04:53:12 PM »
Getback if I recall correctly, he already has an e8400 which he had ordered roughly a month ago.  Bought a few things first then was gonna order the other stuff later, which later is here now looks like.

Thanks Rondar, Hard for me to keep track.

In that case Masher, wtg, excellent chip. Currently have mine clocked at 3.45 ghz. and leaving it there.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 07:25:49 PM »
I got everything here.   It appears that either Sat. or Sunday is going to be "D-Day."   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 07:32:38 PM »
That thing will fly Masher. Good luck on the build. Any questions you know where to post.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 07:54:13 PM »
You know what's special bout this BBS.   Sure, some of us will "butt heads" every now and then.   But, when the call comes for help, help is always there. 

<<S>> bro's and I'll keep you posted.   I'm just hoping everything got here in good condition. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 03:39:59 PM »
Quick dumb question:

I'm going to be using my primary HD (SATA) as my Boot drive.   My IDE drive crapped out, literally right after I got my 90GB's of ripped CD's in my collection off of it and onto my WD Passport.   

Now, I'm gathering my programs, AH included onto My Passport.   When I wipe this drive to reinstall XP Pro, do I need a Floppy?   Or can I go into BIOS and set my startup to CD ROM or SATA?   

I don't know if I'm confusing RAID with SATA.   I'm not going RAID.

Thanks in advance.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 03:58:38 PM »
Your confusing RAID with SATA, SATA is the connection for the hard drive, RAID is the joining of multiple hard drives to act as on or to provide backup.  You will have to boot from CD in BIOS.  Connect minimum parts together for XP install and then add vid, sound, extra RAM later.  Makes for a less aggravating install. 
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 05:26:16 PM »
Connect minimum parts together for XP install and then add vid, sound, extra RAM later.  Makes for a less aggravating install. 

LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 06:44:56 PM »
That's some funny toejam. But, you won't get those messages till XPloder is done loading.  There are a lot of sites that give incredible amounts of info on how to build a new comp.  I recommend that you visit 3-4 sites and compile all the info, get together the steps that are similar, and follow the directions that you come up with.  I'm assuming this is your first build.  Sorry if it's not.  But mine is my first build and that's what I did.  The only problem I had was XP would not intsall properly till I pulled my 2nd gig of ram from the motherboard and tried again.  Installed w/o issue.  Then had to install 2nd stick of RAM and vid card and this and that.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline MonsterZer0

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 07:31:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure u know this but when u remove parts out of the static bag - Do Not place them on top of the static bag. Make sure your grounded : > I have had no problems with sp3 karaya. The less u have 2 open your case 2 check things the better off u are.  So just take your time.  As for the cpu fan u might have 2 change the bracket surrounding the cpu on the motherboard. Check that first before U install the motherboard 2 the case. Sweet machine Karaya.