Author Topic: An Idea - Campaign Series  (Read 7092 times)

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Re: Not in favor of your planesets
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2008, 09:22:56 PM »
Planeset obviously favors Axis.  I know you will disagree, and historically I love it.  I wouldn't touch it from an Allied perspective.  The only balancing factor between the two planesets could only be found in numbers.  However, few virtual pilots will choose to be cannon fodder for very long.

Any arguement that P40E could stand up to the Axis tater launchers, is lost on me.  Spit V, maybe against 1 or possibly 2 with a good pilot, but the flood of players will be to Axis with the choice of rides.  Sorry, if I am not enthusiastic about the planeset, but I do love the idea up to that point.

I am completely missing any basis for your argument.  I do not see the discrepancies you are mentioning.  Please check out the fighter comparisons here. 

http://www.gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php?p1=109e4&p2=c202&p3=hurri1&p4=p40e

Lethality is matched quite nicely if I do say so myself.  P40e to the 109e and Hurri I to the 202. 

Spit V is far more lethal than the 109f in regards to guns.  There will most definitely be the need for play-balance, I in no way dispute that.  But that would most likely be a decrease in the rarity of the 202(making its use limited) and an increase in the availability of the Spit V.  But none of those balance adjustments can be to compensate for poor markmanship, because the tables tell a much different story for the relative effectiveness of the guns. 

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 09:25:38 PM by TheBug »
的t's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: An Idea - Campaign Series
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2008, 09:56:37 PM »
Axis tater launchers? The only plane on the axis side with a good armament is the 109F :rolleyes:

Try using the 2 MG/FF's on the 109E and 110C and then come back to us. It's possible to bring someone down, but not much easier than it is with 8x .303's, and MUCH less than 6 .50 cals.

....er....you sure you've flown these planes, Bubi?

- oldman

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2008, 10:09:27 PM »
I don't have any experience in the 202, but other than that, I don't really see an axis bias in this.  Been on the receiving end of a P-40E smackdown too many times to underestimate it.

Perhaps add the Spit I?  Would it be a better "balance" to the 202?

Suppose it is too early a set for the P-39D.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2008, 03:13:21 AM »
Believe me there is no P40 smack down ever.  There are however, very excellent pilots that know their stuff.   I have plenty of basis for my arguement.  Show me as many charts as you want.  I know that Hurri 2C clobbers them all.  Why is that?  It has tater launchers and good ones at that. 

My point?  I guess you would have to find Dastrdly flying his 110 C against anyone doubting any validity in my arguement and ask them afterwards.

Anyhow, planesets have been a sore point in this arena.  Given the choices, I tell you right now what side I won't fly.  As good as AH2 is, it does not do the 50 cal armament justice.  The battles that we engage in are snapshot battles, seldom a shot long enough to give the 50 cal saw effect needed in game.  On the other hand, snap, crackle pop..... cannon round .... I'm down...... way too often.

Offline a4944

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2008, 08:34:24 AM »
The Spit I could be added.  It is a good matchup for the 109E.  Set your convergence low and get in close.  I've flown both the Spit I and 109E and don't have a huge preference for either.  The Spit I can outturn the 109E if the driver knows how to use flaps. 

The Axis have a large advantage in base capture in my opinion.  Cannon equipped planes seem to do better knocking down ground structures.  The Boston is tough to use and has those 303s.  Is the P40E a good ground attack fighter?  If not, perhaps throw in a P38G for balancing to give the allies a good ground attack plane with cannons.  Perhaps make the P38G a rare plane.

Venom

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2008, 08:51:47 AM »
Hurri IID was there to aid in the Allies ground attack for the first week.  P38G would be added the third week I'm thinking.  Was basing the planeset along the lines of weeks representing 1941, 1942 & 1943.
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 09:28:40 AM »
Still working on the second and third week planesets, haven't had much online time this week.  After that going to look into a Continuation War setup, always a popular AvA map. <S>
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2008, 10:43:57 AM »
Still working on the second and third week planesets, haven't had much online time this week.  After that going to look into a Continuation War setup, always a popular AvA map. <S>

:aok

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2008, 06:06:01 AM »
There are pieces of this idea that I like and think are neat but the idea as a whole still doesn't work for me. I'll tell ya why.

This is something I would be interested in playing, in a one-two night a week kind of special event type of thing. Not as a 24 hours, 7 days a week for 3 weeks, or even 1 week deal. Specifically because the plane set is still so limited that it would hold little interest for the majority of players.

Yes you could get them to log in and fly this on occasion. This is essential to how the FSO works. People are willing to fly limited plane sets, but not all day long.

For the AvA to work, a casual player needs to be able to log in to the AvA find the plane he wants to fly, go out and contribute to the effort, for 30-45 minutes and log off.

The SEA already scratches that itch for a rolling plane set type of fight.
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008, 08:36:57 AM »
I think the people that are drawn to a historical planeset are quite willing to fly a limited planeset. As the reasonably successful Combat Theater of past has shown.  If you were to have a complete open Axis/Allied planeset, it would not only lead to non-historical matchups in the air, you might as well just make it a late-'44-45 planeset cause that is all most people will be flying. 

The planes I have in the setup, are reasonably matched, allow for fun for the multiple factions in the game and also allow a plane for the different styles of flying.

I say give the setup a try, will require a little tuning I am sure. But can't tell whether it will work or not without trying it.
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2008, 08:38:19 AM »
Only for those in the right time zones.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008, 01:03:40 PM »

Sea does nothing for me. i liked it when the AVA had rolling planesets and every week, you got better or different planes. I really enjoyed that setup not so long ago. running bombers and supplies and no GV's leaves alot to be desired. just my opinion

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2008, 01:12:41 PM »
Just to be clear, my idea does include GVs.  It is basically the Old AvA, with base capture and point objectives to determine a side "winner".  Strats would be there to influence play, but on a controlled level and would not be the whole determining factor for a side's victory.

I can see no way how my idea compares to the SEA and to question a limited planeset in the Axis versus Allies arena seems a little silly to me.
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2008, 02:42:07 PM »
It's just the rolling plane set that doesn't hold enough apeal.

The 20 people in the early war + 30 in the mid war -vs- 500 in the late war right now shows the "mass" appeal of the earlier war rides. There is not enough appeal for those early rides to dedicate 2 out of 3 weeks to them.

Chances are that those numbers are only even up that high because some of the old school AvA crowd is hiding out there rather than play in the AvA right now.

None of those other features make up for not having planes that you like. Think of it this way. For every ship you doesn't have that's probably 5 players who are not going to play.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 02:44:38 PM by Damionte »
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline a4944

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2008, 03:27:51 PM »
It's just the rolling plane set that doesn't hold enough apeal.

The 20 people in the early war + 30 in the mid war -vs- 500 in the late war right now shows the "mass" appeal of the earlier war rides. There is not enough appeal for those early rides to dedicate 2 out of 3 weeks to them.

Chances are that those numbers are only even up that high because some of the old school AvA crowd is hiding out there rather than play in the AvA right now.

None of those other features make up for not having planes that you like. Think of it this way. For every ship you doesn't have that's probably 5 players who are not going to play.

Perhaps we can start with late war for the "beta" phase.  Get MA people to try it, and then do the rolling plane set.  They will probably stay if they like it.  I really like the opportunity to have all of the Axis vs Allies matchups, not just the late war matchups, so I like the rolling plane set idea.  The beginning BoB in early rides drew good crowds and that was with early rides.  It became less popular as the planes advanced but that was for other reasons also.

Personally, I think 40 to 60 people would be great for AvA.  I like the smaller numbers.  There are still opportunities for small scale fights which get hard to find in the MA at times.  You also get to know everyone.  30+ people a night would be a success.

Venom