Author Topic: Did HTC run out of time?  (Read 627 times)

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Did HTC run out of time?
« on: March 01, 2001, 01:22:00 PM »
Well I'm sorry but I really don't like the new map much at all, I looked at it and wondered if HTC had run out of time working on v1.06 that they did'nt allow enough time to put out a better map.

On the face of things it funnels the fights into a few area's whichmight make for better battles, but it looks just so damned plain! I am really looking forward to v1.06 and was expecting a map more along the lines of the Med terrains we used to have in Warbirds, something a little less fantasy, just a rough approximation of the med would have been nice.

So far I've only flown around the arena offline to have a good nosey about unhindered and it just does'nt look as nice as the old terrain we had. A few nights ago I was flying around and got distracted looking out of my cockpit, to the right I looked at the mountains and the textures covering them (especially the tops) and thought how beautiful they looked, one the best looking terrains I've seen in a sim for a while, then I looked out of my cockpit to the left and thought how nice the new arena would look with the coastal lines put in, in the new terrain for v1.06 all I think of is past BETA terrains.

I think v1.06 is going to be great...apart from the terrain, why does'nt HTC use one of the talented map creators that can be found in the map making forum and ask them to create an arena map?

Offline Effdub

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.netsurf.de/robert.sander/
Did HTC run out of time?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2001, 02:12:00 PM »
Quote from HTC:
"There's also a new terrain for the main arena. There is a central sea and a carrier task force for each country but it is a more land oriented terrain. We'll be swapping out this terrain with the current one every tour."

One Carrier per country, more land for all. IMO HTC are testing gameplay. After all it's up to us to fill the arena with life, new tactics and strategies etc.

They can always fill in the eye-candy later but (as a first step) workable terrains that offer different tactical approaches are more important than white-capped mountain tops, don't you think?

just my 4 Euro's

Effdub

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Did HTC run out of time?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2001, 02:48:00 PM »
Well, er, actually I really dislike this terrain also.  But then I didnt like the last one much either.

The Med is still the best map I've seen.

[This message has been edited by Swoop (edited 03-01-2001).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Did HTC run out of time?
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2001, 02:51:00 PM »
 I think AH progressed too fast the past few months to use those custom terrains. The first ones were obsolete with the addition of he Navy and the terrains after that via the new terrain builder and the ones built right now will be unusable for 1.06. IMO of course.

As for the current terrain? Anyone who's been around a *long* time remember the old, old AW dos map?  The VoD ???

-Westy

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
Did HTC run out of time?
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2001, 03:00:00 PM »
As for "running out of time" I have to say that when I was beta testing the TE, and as I'm sure some of the talented terrain creators can tell you, creating any terrain takes a lot of time.  Even the simple ones.

I'm not making excuses for them (I have not even tried the terrain), just commenting that terrains take a lot of time.

Fury

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Did HTC run out of time?
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2001, 03:10:00 PM »
 Besides, how on earth would you create a nice looking terrain that would be 3-way symmetrical lest it impart initial advantage on one of the sides?
 miko

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Did HTC run out of time?
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2001, 03:33:00 PM »
We were looking at making this terrain an imported Med.  We're not adverse at all to importing real geography for use in the main.  The catch in doing so is that we need to be able to keeps sides fairly even.  It won't work if one side is out of the action or too vulnerable to attack.  Then there's spacing issues as well.  We're open to suggestions for future terrains for the main if you know of a good area that would work.  Just scan in a map of it and show how you think the bases should be laid on the the terrain.  

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Did HTC run out of time?
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2001, 03:35:00 PM »
Hehe Westy, the old AW DOS "big" ETO was the first thing I thought of.  
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Moose11

Did HTC run out of time?
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2001, 03:41:00 PM »
Just import a map of say... Nebraska. That's a real world place and I bet it'll be easy to divide it up..  

Hey, if it works for gameplay, I personally don't care what it looks like. (heart, uterus, or fatty's ass) Can't wait to get home and see the shores...

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Did HTC run out of time?
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2001, 03:48:00 PM »
"why does'nt HTC use one of the talented map creators...."

Because nobody makes MA style terrains.  See pyro's post above.

------------------
"Holy Underwear!"
John "SUPERFLY" Guytan - Art Director
HiTech Creations
-=HELLFIRE=- SQUAD
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Did HTC run out of time?
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2001, 04:42:00 PM »
Geeze I wonder why...

NUTTZ

Originally posted by SUPERFLY:
"why does'nt HTC use one of the talented map creators...."

Because nobody makes MA style terrains.  See pyro's post above.

AKSeaWulfe

Did HTC run out of time?
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2001, 04:54:00 PM »

Originally posted by NUTTZ:
Geeze I wonder why...
NUTTZ

Because no one's made terrain for the MA...?
-SW

Moose11

Did HTC run out of time?
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2001, 05:03:00 PM »
I missed that one too.  

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
Did HTC run out of time?
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2001, 07:34:00 PM »
Here's my suggestion for the MA-terrain for 1.06!

Now quit complaining and put that Terrain Editor to work!  

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

Brewster into AH!

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"