Author Topic: Anyone here with good Doolittle info?  (Read 799 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Anyone here with good Doolittle info?
« on: July 04, 2008, 05:16:34 PM »
I need to find five primary sources (eye witness) accounts of the Doolittle raid on tokyo, and the events that led up to it. I've been looking around and havn't found much that meets the criteria. So, I figured with all of your great libraries, perhaps you can give me a few titles to narrow down my search.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Re: Anyone here with good Doolittle info?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 03:08:05 PM »
Anyone? Ive already read thirty seconds over tokyo, but thats the only eyewitness book the intardnet has been able to find me, and ive only found one eyewitness website. Someone has to have SOMETHING. Has anyone read ANY good books on Doolittle?

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 06:21:35 PM »
Lets see... He called himself a doctor, and it was rumoured he spoke to animals.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 06:31:43 PM »
there's tons of info and Biography's on Doolittle ..

Here start with Widewings Site ...enjoy.
http://home.att.net/~C.C.Jordan/index.html
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 10:08:12 PM »
there's tons of info and Biography's on Doolittle ..

Here start with Widewings Site ...enjoy.
http://home.att.net/~C.C.Jordan/index.html

Do you know of any autobiographies of any of the crews? Thats the real problem, the eye witness accounts.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 01:49:32 AM »
There are 3 that come to mind right off hand.  The first is a biography by his granddaughter, Jonna Hoppes, titled "Calculated Risk  The Extraordiary Life of Jimmy Doolittle - Aviation Pioneer and WWII Hero".  I have an autographed copy from her visit to Pearl not too long ago.  Doolittle's copilot from the raid, Dick Cole, was there too and gave a presentation.  The second book is "The Doolittle Raid 1942 - America's First Strike Back at Japan" by Clayton Chun.  The third is my personal favorite, written by Jimmy Doolittle himself, titled "I could Never Be so Lucky Again" (his autobiography).  He was an incredible man.  We will never see his like again.

Edit

Wont provide you with any more info really, but heres a link to the online Newsletter with the announcement.

http://www.pacificaviationmuseum.org/PAM%20Newsltr003.pdf

Edit 2

I've been trying to convince the powers that be at the museum that there would be interest in pod-casts of the guest speaker lectures they have, for a fee.  Who knows how many times Lt. Col. Cole will give a presentation outlining his memories of that historic mission?  To have his words recorded and available on the internet ...... well I'd pay for them.  I paid for the lecture, I'd sure pay for a recording of it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 01:57:44 AM by StarOfAfrica2 »

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 02:03:16 AM »
in Spain they teach youngsters that the Doolittle raid is proof of American imperialist aggression against the innocent
women and children of Japan.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 03:45:12 AM »
There are 3 that come to mind right off hand.  The first is a biography by his granddaughter, Jonna Hoppes, titled "Calculated Risk  The Extraordiary Life of Jimmy Doolittle - Aviation Pioneer and WWII Hero".  I have an autographed copy from her visit to Pearl not too long ago.  Doolittle's copilot from the raid, Dick Cole, was there too and gave a presentation.  The second book is "The Doolittle Raid 1942 - America's First Strike Back at Japan" by Clayton Chun.  The third is my personal favorite, written by Jimmy Doolittle himself, titled "I could Never Be so Lucky Again" (his autobiography).  He was an incredible man.  We will never see his like again.

Edit

Wont provide you with any more info really, but heres a link to the online Newsletter with the announcement.

http://www.pacificaviationmuseum.org/PAM%20Newsltr003.pdf

Edit 2

I've been trying to convince the powers that be at the museum that there would be interest in pod-casts of the guest speaker lectures they have, for a fee.  Who knows how many times Lt. Col. Cole will give a presentation outlining his memories of that historic mission?  To have his words recorded and available on the internet ...... well I'd pay for them.  I paid for the lecture, I'd sure pay for a recording of it.

Do you live out this way? I was actually going to attend that lecture, but I had something come up last minute. Thanks for the book names! Ill hit the library to find them tomorrow!

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 04:28:33 AM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,235056.0.html

Link is to an Aces High Movie that recreates the Doolittle Raid.
I know you have seen this already Serenity, but in case others see this thread, they might enjoy this AH movie.
Another pm sent to ya Serenity regarding more source documentation on the web.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 05:42:22 AM »
I recall that some pilots were caught and tortured as well as some were executed. But Doolitle got away.
It was one bold act to take the war to the Emperor's doorstep...
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 05:30:20 PM »
Do you live out this way? I was actually going to attend that lecture, but I had something come up last minute. Thanks for the book names! Ill hit the library to find them tomorrow!

If by "out this way" you mean on Oahu yes.  I live in Waipahu.  I signed up at the start to be a museum docent, but they didnt have a scehdule that worked with my work schedule so I had to bow out.  I only worked at a couple of special events to help out. 

If you havent been yet I highly recommend it.  Most of the books you want can be found in their bookstore.  You ought to go while the Kittyhawk is still in port at Pearl before the RIMPAC exercises start.  Its nice to see a carrier in Pearl Harbor again. 

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 06:06:04 PM »
If by "out this way" you mean on Oahu yes.  I live in Waipahu.  I signed up at the start to be a museum docent, but they didnt have a scehdule that worked with my work schedule so I had to bow out.  I only worked at a couple of special events to help out. 

If you havent been yet I highly recommend it.  Most of the books you want can be found in their bookstore.  You ought to go while the Kittyhawk is still in port at Pearl before the RIMPAC exercises start.  Its nice to see a carrier in Pearl Harbor again. 

We always seem to have a carrier in. I was there on the bridge when the Nimitz was just pulling in, and my that was a sight! Yeah, I tried to sign up to volunteer at PAM, but they never contacted me back. Ive been there MANY times though, in fact, I was at the VIP oppening! (Met Chuck Yeager that night!). Did you hear theyre getting a Tomcat and an Eagle?

Back on topic, yeah, most of the pilots capture IIRC, were executed by the japanese. A little while back, my mum worked with the wife of one of the men (I dont recall his position, and I was never able to meet him) who made it to Russia, only to be tossed in a Russian POW camp.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 06:25:58 PM »
Yeah the Tomcat is here now.  They have to curate it though, and they dont have the modern display up yet anyway.  Did you try the simulator?  They are always looking for people to man the sim.  I just cant get there early enough during the day to make it work for me, and they dont have anything I was interested in on the weekends.

Anyway, the main point I wanted to make about it was the bookstore there.  They have a good selection, and I know for a fact they have both Biographies (or at least they did a week ago). 

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 10:30:37 PM »
Yeah the Tomcat is here now.  They have to curate it though, and they dont have the modern display up yet anyway.  Did you try the simulator?  They are always looking for people to man the sim.  I just cant get there early enough during the day to make it work for me, and they dont have anything I was interested in on the weekends.

Anyway, the main point I wanted to make about it was the bookstore there.  They have a good selection, and I know for a fact they have both Biographies (or at least they did a week ago). 

Well, they have a link on their website to fill out a form if you are interested and they will contact you back. I filled out the form and never got called back. I would volunteer to do anything there, I think its a great cause that DEFINATELY needs help. (Its not cheap, they have big dreams, and I know they arent getting much funding).

Thanks! If I cannot find anything at the library, I will go there. I just want to avoid spending money I dont need to.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 11:03:06 PM »
pm Widewing the guy is a veritable cornucopia of information sir :)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute