Author Topic: X52 stick LEDs  (Read 533 times)

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
X52 stick LEDs
« on: July 06, 2008, 11:48:41 AM »
Been having lots of problems with the LEDs on the stick suddenly going off or flashing, however the ones on the throttle never mess up. Most of the time I can get it to stop just by pushing down on the stick, but right now I can't get it to stop no matter what I do. I checked all the connections about 30 times and still nothing.

Can anyone help?
The Screwed One

"And so it begins, may it never end."

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: X52 stick LEDs
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 02:20:24 PM »
A powered USB hub might not hurt.  I know a lot of guys run into power issues with some joysticks (especially an X-52) and their computer not able to supply enough power along the USB ports.  So a powered USB hub has it's own power source.

Example
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817180008
You may be able to find one cheaper ($10 or so, I just randomly picked this one).  You'll want to make sure it has a AC adapter with it and not just a USB cord (draws power from the computer, AC cord is it's own power supply).

I picked one up on clearance at a department store the other day for $7.50 (orig $30), didn't really need it but couldn't pass up the deal.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 01:54:25 AM »
Either Fulmar said or get a bigger PSU, sounds like you have power issues. Running a underpowered system is not good for the components nor system stability.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 05:50:48 AM »
Iti s not necessarily a power supply issue.  Most motherboards USB hardware drivers cannot drive all the USB ports on a computer, depending on the power draw of the connected devices.

A USB chip on a motherboard can sink a certain amount of current.  When that current level is exceeded, the USB devices will not run reliably due to the USB chip contantly being reset.

If that is the case, then an external powered USB gub is the only solution to the problem.  To determine if that is the problem, just remove some USB devices and if the remaining devices styart acting normal, then your total USB devices being connected have exceeded the USB's current limits.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline edog1977

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:31:58 AM »
I have a powered USB hub, and still have that problem.  The cables joining the throttle and stick are secure.  I think it's a problem with the X52.

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 01:21:01 PM »
If that is the case, then an external powered USB gub is the only solution to the problem.  To determine if that is the problem, just remove some USB devices and if the remaining devices styart acting normal, then your total USB devices being connected have exceeded the USB's current limits.

Don't think its a power problem, the stick is the only usb device I use and as I said only the lights on the stick go nuts, the throttle stays fine. So yeah, I think theres a problem with the stick. Thanks anyway guys.

<<S>>
The Screwed One

"And so it begins, may it never end."

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 02:46:18 PM »
Then it's a issue for Saitek support.  :devil

Truth has no agenda.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 03:47:41 PM »
I will never own another Saitek product
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 04:04:14 PM »
I will never own another Saitek product

I've had that experience with Logitech. Happy with Saitek so far.

Truth has no agenda.

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 05:55:03 PM »
I swear this is true....
Right before FSO my stick took a $%#. So I scrabled to pull out my antique one, and continued to fly. After FSO i was still pissed off about my stick, so to take out my anger I walked over to the pool and chucked that sucker in!!! No joke the frickin thing was sitting on the bottom of the pool!! I did take a sec to sink, but it did bubble its way to the bottom. I then proceeded to drink and forget about it and go to sleep. So I wake up the next morning and decide to take a quick wake up swim. Sooo I go over and jump in. upon diving into the pool I notice a strange sillouette at the deep end, and it all comes back to me...Having had a full night sleep I am not so mad at the stick and decide to rescue it, and see why it broke. I take it back to the garage where I pop it apart and dry it off to see if there is anything obviously wrong with it, there is not. I see nothing other than the fact that its bath had washed all the grease out of it, so I sprayed it down with grease(white lithium) and put it back together content that it is broken and I need a new one...but wait maybe I should try it one last time............It works perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :rock

so maybe you just need to throw it in the pool, a pond or lake will mostlikely work as well  :aok
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 07:22:19 PM »
 :rofl

Best post I've read on this BBS in a while.  :aok

Truth has no agenda.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 04:29:02 AM »
I've noticed that if the PS2 connector from the throttle to the stick gets knocked it can come out and the stick will lose it's lights.
Having a 2 year old Daughter that likes to play with them I find lot's of this type of technical issue.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 04:22:02 PM »
How about getting it exchanged for a new one? I don't have this issue with my X52 (Non-Pro) running it on a powered USB Hub.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 02:47:39 PM »
Allen:

I've had this occur as well,simple solution tho,open saitek control panel,select led tab,move slider abit then put back to original position. this solved it for me,happens the odd time,usually after hibernation mode.  Seems to be a software glitch,but I've been wrong B4...

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 04:52:11 PM »
I have a bad LED in my T5/T6 switch. The button still works fine and maps with no problems so I dont worry about it.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"