Author Topic: Computer relec, I need one...  (Read 716 times)

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
Computer relec, I need one...
« on: July 08, 2008, 06:11:19 PM »
Anyone have an old 286 or 386 machine you want to get rid of? Preferably an IBM AT but I will settle for just about any 286/386 machine. No OS needed. DOS would be ideal but I have a copy here I can install. Working on a hobby project and this is a big piece of the puzzle.

Word.
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Re: Computer relec, I need one...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 06:20:59 PM »
Any reason not to use Microsoft 2004 VM?  or do you actually need the hardware to do the project?

Offline bcadoo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 06:23:55 PM »
I have many.  What specs are you looking for and how close are you to Houston?
The fight is the fun........Don't run from the fun!
"Nothin' cuts the taste of clam juice like a big hunk o' chocolate" - Rosie O'Donnell

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 07:34:48 PM »
I've got a crappy old gateway that I'm using as a doorstop.  I think the hd is fried though
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

storch

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 07:46:44 PM »
I have an old gateway that I use as a word processor

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 07:51:15 PM »
want some parts?  I offered to fix it for my ex wife.  Even had a new hard drive ordered that I was going to pay for.  Then she made the mistake of annoying me :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline DYNAMITE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.texasaircav.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 10:50:01 PM »
I had an old Compaq 486 rocking at 100mhz up to just a little while ago... if i'd only known it would be yours.  Alas it's now in the great recycle bin in the sky  :cry

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 07:41:59 AM »
The slower, the better in this case. I am working with some older software that, if used on anything faster than a 386, pure DOS OS, it will not work and my entire project (and $$$) will be for not. Ideally, a 286 or early 386 model will do. Pre-Win 3.1. The entire project is for programming a 2-way radio and if any of you are Ham nerds, you'll understand my plight when I say Motorola RSS 1992-94.

Thanks gang

Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 12:19:58 PM »
Yeah, I saw most of those. I was looking for cheaper units. Thought someone maybe throwing some away....

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 12:41:19 PM »
My in-laws have one, but they play a few very simple games on it.

An ANCIENT Mac.

It looks like it's got squirrels powering it.

ROX

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 12:54:22 PM »
Have you tried DOS Box?

You can slow it way down for old DOS applications.  It may not work but it's free and a lot less trouble than finding and setting up and old 286.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 03:31:30 PM »
Rep,

I have xt 286 dated 1982.  Doesn't have a video card.  If i can find an old one, I'll see if it will boot.
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 10:10:14 PM »
OoooOOooOOooOooo and you're close by....

Saweeeeeet Rashy.

Thanks!

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 10:22:23 PM »
dated 1982  no way!!!!