Author Topic: Mobile artillery  (Read 995 times)

Offline SKYGUNS

• Nickel Member
Mobile artillery
« on: July 09, 2008, 04:24:53 AM »
Mobile artillery would be a great addition to the game. Axis 105mm and Allied 25pounders would be great because you could fire from the spawn at a town, base, factory or whatever and do great destruction instead or risking your lives getting into closer combat, and you might be saying now, great if we get these then we'll just might as well shoot ourselves. But before you do so consider the following

1) armor is considerably thin
2) speed considerably slow
3) firing rate would be like a 5 incher on a destroyer + firing on a  period of time could knock you off target
4) you would have to line your gun up by driving into position before firing and do it on flat terrain to make it the easiest at firing
5) the considerably low speed and armor and lack of rotating gun makes it a bad close combat weapon
6) must be stopped to do accurate fire

But whats great about it is its MASIVE range, damage, and accuracy making it ideal for the game. My vision of it is having it similar to a 5 inch but on tank chaise

it should be easy for HTC to make i think, just make it so a tank chaise carries a gun similar to a 5 inch and fire the required round at the correct velocity, range, and do the correct damage.

Thankyou for reading...
Skyguns  :salute

Offline LarryT

• Zinc Member
Re: Mobile artillery
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 04:28:12 AM »
I litterally just made a thread about artillary. Mine did not go into detail as your own did, but I think it is a necesary addition to the game. After all, there were no "well that wouldnt be fair" remarks being made during the war. Artillary was used, and it was extremely effective. In order for AH to be an accurate simulation artillary MUST be implimented.

Along with artillary i would also like to see some sort of spotting mechanic. Where forward units could call out coordinates for the artillary to hit. Let me know what you think :salute

Offline valdals

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 07:05:11 AM »
i use the lvt4 as mobile artillery. wish i did not have to get so close to fire it.

Offline SKYGUNS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 08:01:22 PM »

Very difficult picture to find, about only 5 still live to this day

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:48:39 PM by SKYGUNS »

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:24:54 PM »
I've requested an M7 more than once. Pyro told me that he wanted to have it use a spotter plane and wasn't sure how that was going to work. That was a couple of years ago.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Redlegs

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 10:14:16 PM »
I've requested an M7 more than once. Pyro told me that he wanted to have it use a spotter plane and wasn't sure how that was going to work. That was a couple of years ago.

Resident Arizona Cardinals/Cincinnati Reds fan

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 11:09:20 AM »
I know this might sound stupid but I use to get in a jeep with vehicle supplies (mainly b/c I flipped alot lol) and park where i had a good advantage to spot. I really like this idea
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline flyboy96

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 08:03:46 PM »
So how would you aim it?Would it be like a CV gun,where you press E or W and open the keyboard and click on a target?Or would it be like a God's eye view when u press a button,and u click on a target in a certain range and the gun adjusts to that position?
flyboy96
"Circle around the enemy and kick'em in the pants"-George S. Patton
40th FS 'Fight'n Red Devils' (Recruiting)

Offline SKYGUNS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 09:50:28 PM »
So how would you aim it?Would it be like a CV gun,where you press E or W and open the keyboard and click on a target?Or would it be like a God's eye view when u press a button,and u click on a target in a certain range and the gun adjusts to that position?

It would be like firing a 5 inch on the taskgroups but with no sea mode and no land mode and it would be on a tank chaise like the HUMMEL.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 10:05:15 PM »
The Wespe would be the only one I'd like to see implemented. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Homer13

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 11:21:20 PM »
Mobile artillery would be a great addition to the game. Axis 105mm and Allied 25pounders would be great because you could fire from the spawn at a town, base, factory or whatever and do great destruction instead or risking your lives getting into closer combat, and you might be saying now, great if we get these then we'll just might as well shoot ourselves. But before you do so consider the following

1) armor is considerably thin
2) speed considerably slow
3) firing rate would be like a 5 incher on a destroyer + firing on a  period of time could knock you off target
4) you would have to line your gun up by driving into position before firing and do it on flat terrain to make it the easiest at firing
5) the considerably low speed and armor and lack of rotating gun makes it a bad close combat weapon
6) must be stopped to do accurate fire

But whats great about it is its MASIVE range, damage, and accuracy making it ideal for the game. My vision of it is having it similar to a 5 inch but on tank chaise

it should be easy for HTC to make i think, just make it so a tank chaise carries a gun similar to a 5 inch and fire the required round at the correct velocity, range, and do the correct damage.

Love the idea but i dont think HTC would put it in the game

B-17G 100th Bomb Group, 351st Bomb Squadron, Serial#42-30080
High Life  LT. Donald Okes, Pilot (1944)

3rd Bomb Division, Allied 8th Air Force
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 02:17:37 AM »
Now if we can just get an airburst modeld for those pesky ground troops, oh yeh, while your at it towed artilary wouldnt be bad either, anitaircraft anti tank, ,,geeez sounds like im describing an 88mm >< huh?
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 08:31:06 AM »
I know this might sound stupid but I use to get in a jeep with vehicle supplies (mainly b/c I flipped alot lol) and park where i had a good advantage to spot. I really like this idea

Why dont you just sneak a Jeep, get right behind the dude and let your friendlies target him in?  :noid
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline pokecheck

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 02:47:50 PM »
you know that idea of getting an m-7 is great,it would make hitting towns and fields with the 5 and 8 inchers alot easier.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:49:33 PM by pokecheck »
Quite frankly, I just don't give a damn.

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 07:14:35 PM »
Arty would be a nice addition.  FO could be used from any vehicle or plane and spotting done over vox. 
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom