Author Topic: microphone headsets and software  (Read 975 times)

Offline adamsri

• Zinc Member
microphone headsets and software
« on: July 12, 2008, 02:27:53 PM »
i'd like to get a decent headset to be able to talk whilst playing AH but i've only been flying a few months and I haven't found a thread on here that really explains it all to me. I know I need some sort of headset but what about software? I've heard of roger wilco but is that the definitive software for online gaming voice chat? Any help would be appreciated

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
Re: microphone headsets and software
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 03:51:22 PM »
AH has built in voice communication so you don't need additional voice commo software.

This article: http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/radio/radio.htm has voice information towards the bottom.

I go to Walmart or Radio Shack and buy a headset for PCs and usually don't pay more than $25.  I was buying more expensive Plantronics headsets but they broke often.  Ticked me off so I tried a cheapie that lasted until the cord accidentally was separated from the headset.

The headset will have two plugs.  One for speaker and one for mic.  I use a Y-connector (from Radio Shack, cheap) to plug both my speakers and my headset into one jack.  Normally, my speakers are off and I use the headset for AH.

I prefer the headsets that have an inline volume control.  Makes it easier to adjust volume on the fly.

Voice commo makes AH.  It's all about having fun with your squaddies and countrymen.

Good luck.

HONK!
Gooss

CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 04:13:58 PM »
If you buy a headset that plugs into the sound port (where the speakers plug in.. little round plug) then you won't need any additional software.

If you buy a headset that plugs into the USB port (small rectangular port) then you'll need the driver software, which will come with the headset.

Several years ago I spent $90 on a set of LTB USB Surround Sound headphones with mic.  The sound is absolutely incredible!  (Sitting in a GV I can locate the position of an enemy tank just by sound).  They still work pretty well after all of this time, but have a little bit of a crackle (which goes away if I bend the wires just right... probably about to break a wire) and one of the headphones is held in place with a rubber band.  Also I've never had any problems with the mic.

I know I'll be shopping for a new pair soon, but $90 for 4+ years of service.. well I can't complain.

Now you CAN download teamspeak for other games, but it's not necessary for AH, because (as Gooss said) it had voice communications built into the game.

Offline adamsri

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 04:14:33 PM »
thanks for the info

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 04:24:51 PM »
If you buy a headset that plugs into the USB port (small rectangular port) then you'll need the driver software, which will come with the headset.
Not necessarily, maybe on higher end units but the last two pair I've used used stock Windows XP drivers, no driver disk/file needed.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 08:53:52 PM »
AH has built in voice communication so you don't need additional voice commo software.

This article: http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/radio/radio.htm has voice information towards the bottom.

I go to Walmart or Radio Shack and buy a headset for PCs and usually don't pay more than $25.  I was buying more expensive Plantronics headsets but they broke often.  Ticked me off so I tried a cheapie that lasted until the cord accidentally was separated from the headset.

The headset will have two plugs.  One for speaker and one for mic.  I use a Y-connector (from Radio Shack, cheap) to plug both my speakers and my headset into one jack.  Normally, my speakers are off and I use the headset for AH.

I prefer the headsets that have an inline volume control.  Makes it easier to adjust volume on the fly.

Voice commo makes AH.  It's all about having fun with your squaddies and countrymen.

Good luck.

HONK!
Gooss

Home Depot has a cheap set made by GE that works well in game for under $20
They sound pretty decnt and you dont mind replacing them because you broke them from throwing them off you head in disgust rather then cuss on open channel LOL
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 08:55:31 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 11:14:23 PM »
Stay away from USB head sets if you can.  In some cases they've been known to cause lag in joysticks and Head tracking hardware.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 07:05:44 AM »
USB devices are always going to use more CPU cycles than a good sound card.

AH is very CPU dependant, any good sound card and headphones is going to work better for you.
Does not have to be top of the line. I ran SB pci128 in my systems for years with very good results
from very modest outlaw. Plus as someone mentioned above with a cheap Y splitter you can have sound going to
both headphones and speakers.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 07:46:17 AM »
I went through a Labtec Headset and went to a Plantronics, each mic was broken within a year.   I bought a $10 Logitech mic that I used with the plantronics phones.   When the phones gave out 4 months later I bought some Sennheiser phones.   I've had em almost 2 years.

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 08:16:13 AM »
Good call Karaya. After going thru about 4 sets of "Wally World" $20 headsets, I found these at Best Buy, on sale, for $50. Very well built and durable.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8497888&st=plantronic+headset&type=product&id=1186004297578

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 11:50:38 AM »
I bought this set from Turtle Beach. I found mine on Ebay for $50, they work great and the surround sound is awesome.

Offline adamsri

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 07:48:32 PM »
I bought a plantronics set and Its both usb and analog adaptable. I can hear the game through the headsets but I don't know how to get the mic to work in game. any suggestions?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 08:27:48 PM »
I bought a plantronics set and Its both usb and analog adaptable. I can hear the game through the headsets but I don't know how to get the mic to work in game. any suggestions?

Did you first check to make sure the mic works in windows?
You may have it muted.
You can check and troubleshoot in

control panel/sounds and audio devices
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 05:52:52 AM »
roger wilco is oldschool,

two options these days Teamspeak 2 or Ventrilo v3.0

We use vent because it is the best in terms of voice clarity.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 09:11:03 AM »
i bought a set @ Best Buy Approximately $50.  Can be used USB or analog, works fine.  Brand was Logitek.  :rock :noid
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.