Author Topic: The Executive Ban? It's Gone! <sniker>  (Read 4995 times)

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
Re: The Executive Ban? It's Gone! <sniker>
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2008, 08:17:43 AM »
I don't want no stinking oil rigs off the NC coast.  I like it just the way it is.  Vote No to lifting the ban congress!
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2008, 08:25:15 AM »
when I lived in LA in the fifties there was an oil derric down the street in a vacant lot.. they were all over.. no one minded.. now.. if there is one 20 miles out to sea..  panties get in a bunch.   

If we can keep gas at $4 a gallon for 10 years or so it would be worth it.. it doesn't have to go down and..  we are America.. we can do more than solar or wind or bio whatever or oil.. we can do it all at the same time.. and we don't need no stinking government to do it.. just get em out of the way.

I seen this before.. people sold all the muscle cars cause gas got to $1.50 a gallon and there was a "shortage"...  the price never went down from there but those cars are worth $100,000 to a million bucks right now.. you couldn't give em away in the 70's.

What a bunch of rutabagas we have become...... again....

lazs

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2008, 08:33:27 AM »
I don't want no stinking oil rigs off the NC coast.  I like it just the way it is.  Vote No to lifting the ban congress!

of course, here comes the not in my back yard syndrome.

you probably won't be able to see them
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2008, 09:04:19 AM »
you two have assumed i am also pissed off about gas prices.  But you would be wrong   :rock

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2008, 09:19:21 AM »
you two have assumed i am also pissed off about gas prices.  But you would be wrong   :rock

nope.....not assuming that. but you DO use oil products, and DO need them.......so you DO want oil, you just don't want it in produced your own backyard. as long as it comes from somewhere else, you're ok with it........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2008, 10:41:24 AM »
I'm gonna haul the up BS flag on that one. When the USSR made it into space all of America was embarrassed that the communists got into space and we really didn't even have a space program . No matter who was the president when that happened, we would have had a space program started and made it not only into space, but to the moon as well. That was inevitable given the Cold War attitudes.

It appears you need a bit of a history refresh. There were many that totally apposed us going into space and wasting the money. It was JFK's leadership that took us there, allowing us to beat the Soviets. Sure maybe we would have went there 20 years later (maybe) had it not been for his drive and leadership we sure as hell wouldn't have done it in 10 years.

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTyYM-dUgCI
part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfhIjI_N1Pk&feature=related

That's only one aspect of leadership and a good leader knows when to delegate authority and when not to.

I think it's becoming clear that you like nothing more than to just argue.

Why is this only on our current president? Oh wait....thats right....you hate him. Fact is, this is on every president for the past 40 years. Even so, the president can't do all of those things himself. Congress would have to pass laws giving tax breaks and to force the auto makers to produce cars with better mileage.

Because it's under his watch we have come into these problems.. Under no other president has oil doubled it's price every three years. Partly due to the actions of this president and his saber rattling in the middle east. His action by taking us into war with Iraq has caused much of the current rise. It's his duty to do something when the nation is in crisis, not some president from 20 years ago..

A few oil rigs? I'm guessing if the outer continental shelf was opened up to drilling that it would end up being a lot more than just a few. It's just plain dumb to not use the resources we have. Granted, with America's vast consumption of oil it won't make us independent of other countries for oil imports but it would lessen that dependence. Anything that lessens our dependence on others for our energy needs is a step in the right direction.

The estimated oil that will be gained by oil rigs in all the area's effected by the ban will be no more than 5% of our consumption and of course it will eventually run out. Meanwhile Solar and Wind power are renewable power and will never run out. Humm.. I assume it must take a rocket scientist to figure out which the better option is, because the reality sure seems to fall on daft ears around here.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:58:45 AM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2008, 10:44:15 AM »
No kidding. It's a myth. A Chinese company reportedly has a contract for exploratory drilling on land, but nothing has been drilled. A Norwegian company drilled a test well in 2005 (on shore) and this story was mixed with the Chinese story by a dumb Congressman because Cuba is 90 miles off the shore of Florida. Vice President Cheney repeated the myth on a Sunday news show with a new distance and the myth was reborn.

How about some photos of those Chinese oil rigs? ;)

It worked though. The end result was opening up drilling to provide a few years worth of oil. This oil price increase is just another warning from the marketplace to do something different. The legislation is just another aspirin to mask the pain from the tumor. Spot price is not much different than future prices. It's moot.

lol that's pretty funny and typical. I was kinda suprised by the news that we had Chinese oil rigs off our coast and I had heard nothing about them. So now the truth comes out..  :rofl
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2008, 10:50:06 AM »
The US uses very little oil for electricity generation. The oil that is used is likely to be either petroleum coke or residual fuel oil, both of which are left over products from the refining process, and of no use for cars.

The problem is the ones that have been converted off of oil are switching to natural gas. So we are just switching them from one fossil fuel to another that requires expensive recovery process which drives up our energy costs. Meanwhile we have clear alternatives that can be used that are renewable "renewable" energy sources. Solar and wind power don't require expensive drilling operations.

Once the farms are built they only require maintenance which would bring our costs down.
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2008, 10:57:01 AM »
I'm starting to be in favor of mandating micro-generation on new home construction. Drives small-scale solar/wind/hydro development, feeds power back into the grid when there's an excess, doesn't suffer nearly as bad during grid failures if it has a battery backup, and still can get energy from the grid if it's there's no wind and an overcast.

Cost of the system depends on the house size, but going with Texas prices, you can add about 10%. An 80k home would have a more than sufficient system for 8k. With Cali pricing, with that same postage stamp home being 300k, you're looking at 3% of the cost... and it can pay for itself in under 10 years based on energy prices from 4 years ago. I'd imagine it'd be quite a bit quicker now. Add to that the buying power of developers, and costs drop even further.

yes that's what I'm talking about when I say the govt should be pushing a national tax break for people who build homes that are more efficient and produce their own power. It works and the technology is already out there it's not like it's 20 years away. 

This is an example of a very large house in Main of all places that uses solar power and sells electric back to the power company.
http://www.solarhouse.com/

There are quite a few of them around, you just don't hear much about them. But the technology and ability is here and has been here for many years.
"strafing"

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2008, 10:59:58 AM »
The problem is the ones that have been converted off of oil are switching to natural gas. So we are just switching them from one fossil fuel to another that requires expensive recovery process which drives up our energy costs. Meanwhile we have clear alternatives that can be used that are renewable "renewable" energy sources. Solar and wind power don't require expensive drilling operations.

Once the farms are built they only require maintenance which would bring our costs down.

Wind farms are not that efficient though.  It takes ALOT of generators to equal one coal fired plant.  ALOT!  I like the Idea of building solar farms out in Nevada and arizona.  There is land apon land out there that is doing absolutly nothing and with sulinght 330+ days out of the year it would be pretty efficient.  

$320 Million for 154 megawatts

I can't find any stats on costs of a  new nuke plant but I have to assume it's in the billions of dollars price range but you get 2-3000 megawatts.

I say turn Those desert states into solar farms.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2008, 11:21:57 AM »
nope.....not assuming that. but you DO use oil products, and DO need them.......so you DO want oil, you just don't want it in produced your own backyard. as long as it comes from somewhere else, you're ok with it........

I do use oil products.  I could survive without them too.

Been riding my bike to work and campus.  Not buying plastic crap from walmart layered in more plastic crap for a while now.  Using cotton bags for the groceries that I can carry on my bike racks.  I'm even using some of my recent savings from this to budget money to pay a little more on the power bill for green energy.

Reduce, reuse, and recycle.  People have to start somewhere.

Are you doing anything to help?

I don't want it in my backyard because I'd like to think we are smart enough to not need it from anyone's backyard.  Stop assuming and communicate some, not just preaching your way or the highway.  <S>

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2008, 12:28:09 PM »
the horizon is 15 miles, you can't see a oil rig 20 miles offshore.

actually by drilling offshore you would be protecting the environment by stopping the natural oil seepage in to the sea.

save the environment by removing the oil before it can pollute the pristine seas.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2008, 12:43:14 PM »
the horizon is 15 miles, you can't see a oil rig 20 miles offshore.

actually by drilling offshore you would be protecting the environment by stopping the natural oil seepage in to the sea.

save the environment by removing the oil before it can pollute the pristine seas.

thank you!!
i wasn't sure how far it was to post it here........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2008, 12:45:53 PM »

Been riding my bike to work and campus.  Not buying plastic crap from walmart layered in more plastic crap for a while now.  Using cotton bags for the groceries that I can carry on my bike racks.  I'm even using some of my recent savings from this to budget money to pay a little more on the power bill for green energy.

I don't want it in my backyard because I'd like to think we are smart enough to not need it from anyone's backyard.  Stop assuming and communicate some, not just preaching your way or the highway.  <S>

well, what we could do then, is to run a poll.......find all the people like you that don't want this in your backyard....and then since because of you, we'd have to leave a natural resource lay in waste, you will survive completley without the benifit of anything at all that could have anythign to do with oil products. considering that virtually EVERYTHING you own, touch, or use has been involved with oil in some way shape or form.  :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2008, 12:49:47 PM »

i do recycle, i drive my geo prism rther than my dakota as the geo gets 35mpg. i turn out lights when i leave the room. i recycle. i don't use plastic cups, plates eating utensils etc.
 i do what i can.

the fact is that until an infrastructure is built for some other form of energy, we will continue to need oil for many many years to come. it still has to come from somewhere. it would be better to drill and use it rather than waste a valuable resource. it would help your local economy with jobs. it would help your local economy with workers spending money when they come ashore.

did i communicate enough yet? :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"