Author Topic: Smacking the smack talker  (Read 908 times)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Smacking the smack talker
« on: July 15, 2008, 04:21:47 PM »
Sure, most of us do it now and then, including me.
Still, it's fun to kill the high alt smack talker now and then.

To his credit, as I tried to equalized the E states, he barrel rolled quite nicely to keep the initiative. Then it was my turn.*

http://www.mediafire.com/?ljbejua91my

*disclaimer:  No, I'm not claiming to be a great stick so if you think I suck in this video, you are probably right.   :aok
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 04:41:53 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
Re: Smacking the smack talker
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 05:17:01 PM »
gk
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline doleboy

• Copper Member
      • mushrooms
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
A no skill dive to the deck and run.  

you must feel so proud.  :rolleyes:
We shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be.

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 05:19:56 PM »

you must feel so proud.  :rolleyes:

huh?
In my eyes it was a good kill. He used his plane to his advantage. The F4 should have easily dodged that.
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:21:11 PM »

Heh, thanks so much for your input.  Were you to pay attention, you'd notice that I  made no effort to out run him in the dive( I could have easily evaded him) and  then chopped throttle effort to get him to overshoot and to bleed off his E to get on equal footing.. Kinda hard to run while throttled down. Thanks again for watching.   :aok
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 05:25:31 PM by Steve »

Offline doleboy

• Copper Member
      • mushrooms
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 05:29:59 PM »
Kinda hard to run while throttled down.

It is a good idea to throttle down when your going warp factor 10 in a dive.  :t
We shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 05:30:27 PM »
A nice film showing the reasons not to:

1.  Dive in with excess speed
2.  HO
3.  Stick Stir

(The last might not be exactly what he was doing at the end before you lit him up, but he sure wasn't doing anything particularly useful).

Thanks for sharing, Steve.

I have to wonder, how did you run him out of gas?  He started at 18k or so?  If anything, he climbed himself out of gas...
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 05:32:07 PM »

Actually I was thinking as I watched the film 'gee I would have wound up trying to turnfight the F4 when I thought I had the advantage and probably stalled myself out'  looked good to me *shrug*.  Bottom line is Steve got the kill without having to ho, vulch, or gang.  That goes into my books as a good kill.

Steve,

One question... it looks to me like you've got your convergence offset... am I correct?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 05:37:14 PM »
 :aok
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 06:33:26 PM »
But Steve, you "ran him out of gas"!   :lol

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 06:37:01 PM »
The boy in the Chog simply needs to brush the poodle fur off his lap and move on, cuz him have skarued da pooch!!!  :rofl

Righteous kill....especially after his "I'm in a better position and have help..so you suck for not fighting me" speech at the beginning.  :rock

Oh, I found out how you ran him out of gas...you shot off his gas tanks. :D
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 06:55:11 PM »
rofl you post a film of you running then turning back when guy breaks off
Pannono
Proud Member of Pigs On The Wing
8 Player H2H: 2006-07
MA Tours: 87, 97-113, 143-144, 160-Present
FSO: JG54

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 07:00:42 PM »

Steve 3, Pannono 0.  It's the score but it's just in  WWII flying  game.  Don't be so bitter.
FYI, you whined so well after the first kill, I couldn't help but hunt you down and kill you a couple of more times. Priceless.    :aok

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 07:31:49 PM »

We don't get to see what Steve might have done if the Corsair didn't break off so early (1.5k is an extension...  not a run), and we do see Steve take on the Corsair in a fairly aggressive knife fight (something the Corsair really has the advantage in, IMO) before killing him.

That Corsair could have taken steps that might have let it win (or at least survive longer) at several points, and didn't:

Start of the Engagement:

He had all the things he needed to win.  Position, alt, closure, and an ability better than any other plane in the game to reduce that rate of closure to something manageable. 

Corsair completely failed to utilize any of these advantages.

Middle of Engagement:

Fight goes into rolling scissors.  Steve starts out well in this, but it starts to go the Corsair's way...  Steve is not stupid, and actually does a great job of timing his break out... Steve extends for the reset...  Corsair, apparently not having noticed that this pony is there to fight, decides to bug off quickly.  Steve reverses (please note, entire extension was less than what you're even allowed in KoTH...)

First true "Fair" Merge

Corsair goes for HO, so obviously sees exactly what Steve's doing (avoiding HO and going UP!), and then for some reason Corsair decides best bet is to make pretty much a flat turn reversal.  Hey, if you've already given up position with the HO, might as well give up your E too, right?

In fairness, the Corsair doesn't follow rope...  Which could have really gone either way...  That thing can zoom and with those cannons, well, might not have been great for Steve, but that's all conjecture now)...

Anyway, right now would have been a good time for the Corsair to extend a little as well.  Instead he turned right into where Steve wanted him.

End Game

Steve, with position, dives down on Corsair.  Corsair has less E, but enough to apply a simple barrel roll guns defense and possibly acquire a snapshot, which, since the Hog's a -C, he has an excellent chance to kill Steve with.  Steve also has enough excess energy that should this tactic be used against him, he'll have to do one of a number of things (simplified - go up, or overshoot), none of which are going to keep him on the Corsair's tail (at least for now).

However, Corsair neglects to do this, instead opting to try and jink and pray until, hopefully, Steve just flies by him.

Jink & Pray effectively gives Steve a very long firing solution comparative to what a barrel roll guns defense (or even just a break turn for that matter) would have, and Steve wins.

Steve got the most out of his plane, the Corsair guy didn't.

Once again, thanks for sharing, Steve.

---

Guys arguing this or complaining about it...  Dunno if the Corsair's a squaddie/friend/whatever...  But take this opportunity to learn a thing or two.  No one's going to remember next week, anyway.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 07:34:49 PM »
Steve i love you!!!!  Tripl5 is one of the reasons i am now a country hopper instead of being a rooktard with him all the time.  Nice kill and #S#  :salute
Tours 86 - 296