Author Topic: A look at our game, a suggestion  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: A look at our game, a suggestion
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2008, 07:33:09 AM »
Maxy, I really don't know. HT let me do the Tank Town thing (I had to talk him into it) and that lead to Fighter Town. He REALLY dislikes the FT idea and TT may be caught in the fallout. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.  :rock

I suppose that would explain the demise of Donut as well, given the fact that FT was one of its most popular features. Connect those dots and it would appear that HT intended game play to slant towards "win the war" vs furballing. I wonder if that slant might change once Combat Tour goes live.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2008, 07:39:39 AM »
I suppose that would explain the demise of Donut as well, given the fact that FT was one of its most popular features. Connect those dots and it would appear that HT intended game play to slant towards "win the war" vs furballing. I wonder if that slant might change once Combat Tour goes live.

Appearances can be deceiving. What he has said he DOESN'T want is separate areas within the arena and all of the whining and complaining with those areas are violated.

I also know he doesn't want to stop the conquest part of the game. BUT, he does want to discourage conquest with out conflict. I give the guy all the credit in the world, he had done an excellent balancing act thus far.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2008, 07:53:31 AM »
On a side note somewhat related to CT.  I hear this is coming out in two weeks...
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2008, 07:59:59 AM »
Appearances can be deceiving. What he has said he DOESN'T want is separate areas within the arena and all of the whining and complaining with those areas are violated.

Simple solution would be to make the FT and TT bases uncapturable though I seem to recall there being a reason that prevented it. True?

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2008, 08:05:42 AM »
Seems like every time I read a "I'm leaving the game" post, six months later I'm reading a "Hi, I'm back" post :D

Max is right. 

Not flown in ages myself.  Hope I never laid one of those long goodbyes on the BBS.  Can't recall.

AH gets into one's blood.  Just the other day, I was going to load up XP on the old iMac.  Needed a USB keyboard and mouse.  Haven't done it yet because I'm one of those who do not limit the time they play to a reasonable amount.

It's a fun game.  Period. 

Don't forget it's a business.

Pretty sure any hues and cries from the BBS do not equal the desires of the majority of paying customers.  Seen plenty of hues and cries and raised some myself too. 

What counts as "improvement" and "better" to me or you probably does not mean the same thing to the folks at HTC who rely on AH for their livelihood.  Probably coincides here and there and diverges too.

I say its a good and fun game.  For $15 a month, it's an incredible deal too.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2008, 09:25:08 AM »
Well said HAP.

Think about it: there isn't a product or service on the planet that's going to satisfy 100% of the people 100% of the time.

For my 50 cents @ day, I can't think of a better deal in terms of entertainment, and the service support provided by HTC.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2008, 09:30:23 AM »
And to limit the kinds of plane a paying person can fly will cause less subscriptions.  Not the direction HTC wants to go.
I say its a good and fun game.  For $15 a month, it's an incredible deal too.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2008, 10:17:57 AM »

I also know he doesn't want to stop the conquest part of the game. BUT, he does want to discourage conquest with out conflict. I give the guy all the credit in the world, he had done an excellent balancing act thus far.

Donut was removed simply because it was a hugely divisive force pulling the community apart. HTC was not willing to contravene their original design concept for the game and make those particular fields uncapturable and the community was unwilling or unable to police itself. The result was a giant pissing contest between landgrabbers and furballers. Landgrabbers wanted to capture fightertown so the "misguided" furballers fighting there, not helping with the overall "war effort", would be forced to leave then presumably assist them with obtaining world domination...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:50:09 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2008, 10:44:40 AM »
^ ^ ^ ^   sounds like a Mel Brooks movie script  :rofl

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2008, 10:53:28 AM »
I honestly don't know how HTC makes a profit...I figure there's less than 2000 paying customers.  but I'm sure glad they do make a profit.....

I think a great idea is a pay your dues type of situation.......where for your first year here...you are segregated to a beginners arena...and I would be aggressive about marketing and packing that arena with as many kids, girls, guys, and whatever else I could.  I'd also make it $10 a month. that would bring in additional revenue steams...and still not effect anyone here...

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2008, 11:11:26 AM »
next time you're in the MA check out the ranks...look for the highest one and multiply that by 3 or 4

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2008, 11:17:27 AM »
next time you're in the MA check out the ranks...look for the highest one and multiply that by 3 or 4

I'm new here.......no idea what the MA even is......how about you give me a raw #

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2008, 05:22:51 PM »
I'm new here.......no idea what the MA even is......how about you give me a raw #

A good guess would be to multiply your number by at least 3 or 4. :)

Maxy...what Zaz said sums it up. Bottom line, the griefers skarued it up for everyone......such is life. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2008, 07:16:19 PM »

MA = Main Arena

6000 - 8000 subscribers, but they are only a guess, HTC will never release info like that.

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2008, 08:45:01 PM »
if they made a german side.. US side... jap side.... it would b almost an exact copy of WWII online.....

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH