Author Topic: MLB All-Star Game....  (Read 547 times)

Offline Newman5

• Nickel Member
MLB All-Star Game....
« on: July 16, 2008, 12:20:34 AM »
The game is now in the 14th inning...  almost 1:30am NYC time.  It's getting out of hand.  Both teams are almost out of players.  This game is about having fun and celebrating the players that have had the best seasons so far, not about who is going to have home field advantage in the World Series.  There is way to much emphasis put on winning this exhibition game.  Can we just get rid of that stupid idea already???  Let's end this ridiculousness.  Who's with me?   :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 12:35:39 AM by Newman5 »
"Hello, Newman."

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: MLB All-Star Game....
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:51:59 AM »
Agree wholeheartedly. I'm not even watching it this year.

As if MLB didn't fawn all over the Yankees as it is, it's the Last All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium!!!!!! Big friggen deal. Like we need more proof the sports media believes there's nothing happening between the East and West Coasts.

As always, guys who have no business being on that team in the first place taking up roster spots for guys who do, either because of the "Someone from every team" rule, or because they play in a massive media market that can overwhelmingly stack the ballot.

They want to fix baseball, and the best they can come up with is the All-Star game deciding homefield in the World Series?

Sure-fire solutions to fix it right here:

1. RAISE THE FRIGGEN' MOUND. It will even things up between the pitchers and hitters, AND your pitchers won't be blowing their arms out at these alarming rates

2. Do away with Interleague. It was modestly novel the first couple years, or the first time long-time post-season rivals rivals have played each other (Dogers/Yankees, Cards/Yankees, etc. etc.) but 99% of the matchups just leave me wondering, "Who the hell cares?" And then to have it count towards your record at the end of the year?

Baseball DID used to have games like these in the past, but they were played strictly as exhibition games that didn't count.

3. Contract a couple dead-weight teams, or turn them into Minor League franchises. The leagues have just plain gotten too big, and the talent pool has gotten too thinned out. Guys are playing now that would never have made it to the Bigs even twenty years ago.

4. Give the pitcher back the plate, and stop ejecting them if they so much as brush the batter's jersey.

5. For that matter, take away the fricken ARMOR batters get to wear!

6. Reign in prima dona umpires like Angel Hernandez. Any time I hear he's on the umpiring crew in a game the Cards are playing I roll my eyes, because he's gonna do SOMETHING to try and show up the players.

7. Get the strike zone more consistent again.

8. Ball fields should not only play fair, but actually look tasteful and elegant. Turn down the sound-system, (Shea and Dodger Stadiums: GUILTY!) it's a ball game, not a rock concert. Quirks are fine, but remember, less is more (I'm ESPECIALLY looking at you, Ten-Run--er--I mean Enron--dammit--I mean Minute Maid Park with your Little League left-field wall and tacky orange-filled train. Or how about you SBC? With your 80-foot Coke Bottle :p ).

9. Instant Replay will NOT speed up games.

10. Baseball is mean to be played OUTSIDE. If your stadium spends half to three-quarters of the season covered with snow, flooded by torrential rains, or scorched dry by the sun then MAYBE you should move.

10a. Retractable roofs are STILL roofs.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Newman5

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 12:54:09 AM »
4 hours, 40 min.  1:37am it finally ended.  All available pitchers were used.  The longest game in All-Star Game history.  The ballpark was half empty when it ended.
"Hello, Newman."

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 01:23:18 AM »
Glad the AL won. That's 13 games since the NL has won :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 01:41:43 AM »
great game
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 03:52:59 AM by Pannono »
Pannono
Proud Member of Pigs On The Wing
8 Player H2H: 2006-07
MA Tours: 87, 97-113, 143-144, 160-Present
FSO: JG54

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 01:45:31 AM »
10. Baseball is mean to be played OUTSIDE. If your stadium spends half to three-quarters of the season covered with snow, flooded by torrential rains, or scorched dry by the sun then MAYBE you should move.

10a. Retractable roofs are STILL roofs.

So teams like my Brewers (previously the Braves) should just discount their history as a franchise in Milwaukee and leave? I don't think so.

Oh and 1/2 to 3/4 of the season... it didn't used to be until baseball took 8 months opening day until World Series (opening day in March, end in October). Thats 2/3 of a freaking year. 1/2 the country doesn't have that many "nice" days.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 01:48:41 AM by Mustaine »
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 01:50:58 AM »
Glad the AL won. That's 13 games since the NL has won :)

AL are wussies and need "designated hitters" cause their pitchers are crap ball players.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 02:23:21 AM »
As much as I wanted the NL to win, he was safe at home on the last play no doubt about it. IMOP the All Star game is a joke and should count for nothing and serves no purpose other then to showcase the publics most popular players.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 02:24:54 AM by Husky01 »
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 03:07:27 AM »
11. Do away with the DH. make pitchers hit the ball.

12. Get rid of the first two rounds of the playoffs.  When people like Yogi Berra and Jackie Robinson played, it was the best record in the American vs the best record in the National league.  When "The Giant's win the pennant!The Giant's win the pennant!The Giant's win the pennant!" was yelled, their next game was game 1 of the world series.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 03:13:18 AM »
And the Yankees and whomever in New York was in on the decision, the field where DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra, Ford, and Gehrig played, and the field where 26 world series were won should be a shrine to the game and should not be covered with a parking lot.

Yeah, tear down the stadium, but keep the feild and build the new stadium around it.

New York, you blew it.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Rollins

• Silver Member
      • 4thFG
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 04:34:53 AM »
Every baseball game is a joke and counts for nothing and serves no purpose other then to showcase the publics most popular players.

Fixed for you sports dweebs!  Hehehe  :D
http://www.flamewarriors.net    Here kitty kitty...

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 07:38:56 AM »
11. Do away with the DH. make pitchers hit the ball.

Thanks Holden, I knew I forgot one.

I disagree with 12 primarily on the premise that there's too many teams for that format to work anymore. When you only had 8 teams in each league, (which was only a little larger than the NL Central is today) yeah, but no way would it work the way it is now. However if some of the glorified AAA teams were actually moved by baseball TO AAA maybe we could get it back down to the two-division system which was less unwieldy.

Actually, the overall history of Milwaukee baseball IS teams moving away. ;)

Milwaukee Brewers #1 -> Moved to St. Louis and became the Browns

Boston Braves -> Milwaukee Braves -> Atlanta Braves (current incarnation of the Brewers has NOTHING to do with the Braves)

Milwaukee Brewers #2 was the former Seattle Pilots, who moved there in 1970.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Newman5

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 11:43:43 AM »
Unfortunately the players Union will never let them get rid of the DH.  It would mean that people like Jim Thome and David Ortiz would have to play defense.  That will never happen!!    :lol
"Hello, Newman."