Author Topic: my niece is talkin to recruiters....  (Read 1274 times)

Offline betty

• Gold Member
Re: my niece is talkin to recruiters....
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 05:59:29 PM »
ty guys for your opinions. i have told her about what was said, i had read them all to her over the phone, she is not sure what kind of job she wants, she thought about medical but she said she doesn't want to see any dead bodies. but helping people is her goal i guess.
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 06:02:57 PM »
airforce is the best bet . if she gets a guaranteed career field she will be nice and safe, along with the fact that  most AF jobs will transfur to the civilian world afterwards . 
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 06:07:40 PM »
Whichever she chooses, I strongly suggest that she very carefully researches any and all "claims" that the recruiter tells her.

I was in college in the early 90s, shortly after the F117 Stealth Fighter became public knowledge.  A buddy of mine who was a Proffesional Pilot student was told by a Navy recruiter that if he joined the Navy he would be flying F117s from a carrier.   :huh

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 06:31:11 PM »
She needs to figure out what she wants to do prior to commenting to any service. They all have good points and bad. I was in the Coast Guard (C-130 Flight Engineer) for 12yrs prior to transferring to the Army, I have 24yrs of service now. (Long story why I switched over, Loved the USCG) If she wants to do something Aviation, I would recommend the USCG, it's an awesome job. The ship guys are different story.  :D If she wants to get into the medical field I would go AF. They probably pamper their people a lot better. My son is in the AF and likes it. Anyway; I would suggest she research what it is she would like to do as a job prior to commenting to a particular service. Good Luck.
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 06:37:32 PM »
Air Force w/o a doubt.  She is much more likely to gain a technical skill with them. 

Is college out of the question here though?  Just about anyone with sense will tell you if you're going to go military, be an officer. 

Plus, college is so much fun!  Your first year if you live in the dorms you meet so many friends, people with comon goals of getting an education.  Away from parents...freedom...

The military isn't going to be quite as much fun, substitute one authority figure for 5 others.

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 06:38:23 PM »
Betty I have 2 cousins in the air force that are in the medical field. I will see if I can get some info from them and post on here for ya. <S>
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline DangerousGame

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 06:44:20 PM »
If she feels she has to join something I would go Air Force but a good JC might be a better choice right now, and would give her time to think about it more.
DG51 =Pony Express=

Offline rob53

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 07:01:47 PM »
If she wants a military career...........I'd suggest college, ROTC, and go in as an officer!

I did a 2 year stint as an Army recruiter in 90-91, and 11 years total service as enlisted.  My brother, on the other hand went to college, got into ROTC and went active duty Army as a brand new butter bar (2Lt).  He is now a Major, bucking for his LTC (Lt Col), and not 1 regret or gripe from him either. 

Many outstanding Universities and colleges offer ROTC for all the services.  Good way to get your education paid for too  ;)

Just my 2 cents worth  :salute

Rob
rob53
The Flying Circus

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 07:08:01 PM »
Air Force w/o a doubt.  She is much more likely to gain a technical skill with them. 

Is college out of the question here though?  Just about anyone with sense will tell you if you're going to go military, be an officer. 

Plus, college is so much fun!  Your first year if you live in the dorms you meet so many friends, people with comon goals of getting an education.  Away from parents...freedom...

The military isn't going to be quite as much fun, substitute one authority figure for 5 others.

yes dredger..she wants to go to college. that was one big point of her joining she said her 2 reasons was "to make a difference and have them pay for my college" she's got a good head on her shoulders. she could care less bout the "officer" thing, she just wants a strong financial future. she does plan to go in this year to ROTC. she said she would have more experience and would help her in her military future.
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 07:13:23 PM »
Navy or Air Force

i think Air Force pays a little better and offers alot more jobs after millitary life
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline aenigma

• Zinc Member
      • 173rd Guardian Angels
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 07:14:30 PM »
Doesn't matter which she picks, they will all ship her off to the same place (Afghanistan).

Not really true.
173rd Guardian Angels
www.173rdguardianangels.info

Navy Veterans- www.Navyvets.com

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 07:16:19 PM »
Depends on what she likes. If she still like school she can always go ROTC, it's pretty easy imo. She can get an easy major for the 4 years degree while doing ROTC. If she can't take learning anymore go then go enlisted. Air Force is probably the easiest and less dangerious side of the arm force, navy probably come seconds. If she like it a lil tuff go army or marine. Best of luck.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline aenigma

• Zinc Member
      • 173rd Guardian Angels
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 07:24:12 PM »
Navy or Air Force

i think Air Force pays a little better and offers alot more jobs after millitary life

Pay is the same just depends on the situation. If you go Navy and go to sea, you get sea pay. Then add in combat pay, sub pay, and other types of pay just depends on what you do. Get married, you get more pay. Have kids, more pay.
The big advantage for anyone without a college degree joining the military is that you can get FREE college while active. Now the new GI Bill is looking really good for the members about to leave the service.

For the posters who state going AF is the safest route. That is not true either as we have many AF Boots in combat areas.

As a 11 year Naval Vet. I would push Navy so anyone can travel and see the world unless you are on a submarine. Jobs can be transfered to civilian work force and the Navy has some of the best schools for the career/job choice you want. Shhh, I won't mention how many AF personnel were in some of my classes...LOL.

173rd Guardian Angels
www.173rdguardianangels.info

Navy Veterans- www.Navyvets.com

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 07:34:29 PM »
Navy

Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 08:03:09 PM »
Betty, I am active duty USAF (for 23 years) so I am biased.  I have been a crew chief on fighters, a helicopter flight engineer and am now currently a sensor operator on the RQ-4A Global Hawk UAV.  I have been many many places and if I was just coming in I would either go USAF or Coast Guard.
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.