Author Topic: Stall fighting pullout  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Stall fighting pullout
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2008, 03:44:12 AM »
Only recently I've had the pleasure of playing with my home built dual throttle. I've done the manuver you describe, and it isn't gamey at all as it was done historically. Now, granted a real pilot may be disoriented from such a move but it was performed.

Here is a quote Guppy/Corky was nice enough to post for me in a private forum.

I came across this comment in the back of "Twelve to One"  It's by Elliot Summers who was an ace and Squadron CO of the 432nd FS, 475th FG

"If caught by the enemy and you have plenty of altitude, the trick of chopping one throttle and applying aileron and rudder will lose him."

At the top of a climb, I use opposing aileron, I cut one throttle briefly and then cut both. I tap the opposing throttle to recover and in doing so it performs a perfect hammerhead. I never cut one throttle and spiral down, and lose precious alt and speed.

The only time I cut one throttle and perform an out of plane manuver is when I see something behind me and is so close that I cannot evade. I can count on one hand how many times I've done it, and I've had this dual throttle for over a month now.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 04:05:22 AM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 03:55:04 AM »
I've done the manuver you describe, and it isn't gamey at all as it was done historically.

Ok this is were you are confusing reality to a game, yes in reality nice move. In game causes warps very much unlike reality.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 04:47:18 AM »
Frankly, I'm going to keep doing it... I've asked the experienced community in the past about it, and I have absolutely no guilt about performing the move.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 04:59:36 AM »
I don't care whether you do or not and what you've thought over to work around any guilt.  I'm just stating the difference in it's effect between a maneuver in reality compared to this cartoon environment. That and the maneuver in reality was far more subtle then the crazy warp inducing spins you can perform here. Even the "experienced community" can't deny that one.

Generally I find that if I just lob a single 37mm round into the centre of the spin I often hit something warps or not.   :D

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2008, 05:18:31 AM »
Just curious:

"That and the maneuver in reality was far more subtle then the crazy warp inducing spins you can perform here."
How do you know this?

"Generally I find that if I just lob a single 37mm round into the centre of the spin I often hit something warps or not."
Warping normally describes the movement on an aircraft from point A to point B in a manner that is physically impossible.  Is he actually doing this, or just spinning as in your description "the centre of the spin"?

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2008, 05:42:32 AM »
Just curious:

"That and the maneuver in reality was far more subtle then the crazy warp inducing spins you can perform here."
How do you know this?

"Generally I find that if I just lob a single 37mm round into the centre of the spin I often hit something warps or not."
Warping normally describes the movement on an aircraft from point A to point B in a manner that is physically impossible.  Is he actually doing this, or just spinning as in your description "the centre of the spin"?

Because the fastest spin I've seen was by a Russian acrobatics pilot in a specially built plane for the task. The last throttle closed one open spin that I saw in the MA by a P38 would put that acrobatics plane to shame, it was more like the spin of a RC plane with no vertical or lateral movement. And I doubt that a WW2 P38 could top that in reality without ripping the wings off and blacking out.

As for the warps, it doesn't cause point A point B warps like a bad connection, but throws off your aim like fish tailing or 190s stick stirring rolls.

As for the shot. If you completely ignore what your looking at, estimate where the plane will be in space and along with good timing you can fire a single round and it will hit. With the spinning 38 generally they have very little if at all movement in any direction so you only need to make a small adjustment and fire.

But really, I'm not interested in a anti P38 argument. Just the concept of some historical maneuver being applied here where compared to reality it's impact is warps not ACM.

<S>...-Gixer

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 05:47:17 AM by Gixer »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2008, 09:55:45 AM »
As for the shot. If you completely ignore what your looking at, estimate where the plane will be in space and along with good timing you can fire a single round and it will hit. [...] But really, I'm not interested in a anti P38 argument. Just the concept of some historical maneuver being applied here where compared to reality it's impact is warps not ACM.
So the only problem you have is aesthetic?  All you have to do is shoot one tater, doesn't seem like there's anything worth complaining about.

Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2008, 10:01:34 AM »
I don't ever see warping when someone does that.  All I see is someone who's desperate and will soon be dead.

You are correct.  Chop throttle and fire into the center of the rotation and they are an easy kill.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2008, 12:36:14 PM »
it seems funny to me but i have some trouble hitting a stalling plane.
ill rope a guy and he'll drop of and stall as im coming back down ofted the spin changes i over adjust and go right by. either that or i ram straight into him trying to get the shot. im thinking im lot leaving myself enough vertical room to get the shot or im fliping over on the enemy too soon.

what u guys thinK?
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2008, 10:21:15 PM »
Because the fastest spin I've seen was by a Russian acrobatics pilot in a specially built plane for the task. The last throttle closed one open spin that I saw in the MA by a P38 would put that acrobatics plane to shame, it was more like the spin of a RC plane with no vertical or lateral movement. And I doubt that a WW2 P38 could top that in reality without ripping the wings off and blacking out.

As for the warps, it doesn't cause point A point B warps like a bad connection, but throws off your aim like fish tailing or 190s stick stirring rolls.

As for the shot. If you completely ignore what your looking at, estimate where the plane will be in space and along with good timing you can fire a single round and it will hit. With the spinning 38 generally they have very little if at all movement in any direction so you only need to make a small adjustment and fire.

But really, I'm not interested in a anti P38 argument. Just the concept of some historical maneuver being applied here where compared to reality it's impact is warps not ACM.

<S>...-Gixer

How many guys do you think are flying 38 with dual throttles? :)  I sure don't.  Granted most of the time one of my engines is shot out, but I know unintentionally I've snap rolled my 38G.  It's probably more of a high speed stall where the wing drops and I ride the rudder to keep the roll going, but it's quick.

All Del was trying to figure out was if the move was gamey.  When I came across the quote, it seemed to confirm it wasn't.  Since he's gotten good with the dual throttle, why not use it?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline jerkins

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2008, 10:41:42 PM »
Its a method that was used by real pilots, a high speed stall.  I would not consider it gamey, he remains in control the entire time.  Just fire into the center and the problems solved.
Jerkins
Strike Bandits
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2008, 02:16:32 AM »
A way to get out of those devilish spins in the 38 is to simply press "x".

I didn't know about it until recently either.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer