Author Topic: GRISOFT AVG  (Read 757 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
GRISOFT AVG
« on: July 18, 2008, 12:02:46 AM »
hey all,

i have a question, and hope this is the right place for it.

i recently posted...i think in general discussion about some sort of virus that had gotten past my zone alarm, and spybot.
 when i finally got my puter working well enough, i went to CAP's national website, and d/l'd avg8.0. this did wonders for my computer. it cleaned it up, and caught a couple things trying to sneak in.

my problem now, is that i cannot turn it off or de-activate it when i try to log into the game?

has anyone else used this before? is there a way to do it, or do i have to un-install it now?

thanks!!!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Stogie

• Nickel Member
Re: GRISOFT AVG
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 12:12:01 AM »
I have used it for years.. I just leave it on doesn't seem to cause problems for me.
80th FS "Headhunters"Nose Art

S.A.P.P.-Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:21:14 AM »
I have used it for years.. I just leave it on doesn't seem to cause problems for me.

ok..you may hae given me the answer i was looking for then. i wanted to be able to turn it off, as when i was last on, my performance was waaaayyyyyy below what i know i can do. my personaal performance that is, not my puter. i stilll had decent frame rates, but it seemed i was losing the merges, couldn;t hold someone;s 6, hell, i couldn;t even shoot doen a bomber.
 when i mentioned that it was still active, someone nerby said to kill it when in game as it scans everythign as it comes in and goes out.....causing some possible packet loss, although i don't think i was warping.

possibly then i was having the mother of all bad nights? :O
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Stogie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:35:37 AM »
Sounds like most of my nights.. maybe what the guy told you was right  :O
I'll figure out how to turn it off and let you know.. I believe its easy to do.. might be a interesting experiment
80th FS "Headhunters"Nose Art

S.A.P.P.-Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 04:03:28 AM »
Ok, there are two ways to do this (turn off AVG to fly).

The first is to disable it's Windows Service so it doesn't automatically turn on when windows starts.

The second is to run a program such as FSAuto Start, which will turn off the service for you when you fly.

FSAuto was designed for flight sims.

Personally, and I have AVG, I only enable it when I wanna run a scan, and it's off the rest of the time.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 08:14:33 AM »
Here's all ya gotta do-

first off, make sure you have a scheduled scan for like 3am when you're sleeping.  AVG features GREAT automatic cleaning tools and will have a report waiting for you while you have your first morning coffee. 

Regarding performance- if you have performance issues, look for the tray icon down by your clock.  Right click it, and hit "exit".  AVG will then warn you that you're turning off active protection ( :O *gasp!* ), hit the "yes" button.

Your systray icon should dissapear  completely.  This should improve your performance. 

"You rebel scum"

Offline haasehole

• Copper Member
      • http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/The13thMidwestPilotGroup/
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 10:07:27 AM »
 i also use avg 8.0 i also click it off in the tool bar and then shut it down in the process there r bout 5 avg process running all can be shut down execpt 1 with the 8 in it. they take multi end task clicks to chop em down then i run fsauto    :salute
~GELU~CRUOR~IUGUOLO~o2b1ace~
             13 Midwest Pilot Group
                  WD40 - F.S.O.

Offline olddobe

• Zinc Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 09:50:22 AM »
There are a lot of software programs that allow you to shutdown windows services when you want to play games,and you don't want a lot of services sucking up resources.When I play AH I have only 12 processes running.I even shut down explorer once I'm playing AH.Do a little researching,and you will find a lot of help for what you are looking for.I have AVG,and I shut it down.I don't want anything running in the background whilst I'm playing.Good luck,and I hope this helps.
Dobe

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 03:50:40 PM »
well, i haven't been ingame yet since the last time with avg installed......

i've tried to kill the processes in windows task manager. they all come right back. i've done it 5 times on each
one of them even seemed to kill my internet connection, which made me have to reboot.

i went into the offline practice, and flew the battle of britian, and FR dropped to 17 in the furball......

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 04:39:49 AM »
you gota kill the SERVICE if you don't want it comin' back.

Right click My Computer

Left click Manage

Go to Services and Applications.

Go to Services

Find AVG on there.

Disable it.

OR...

Use FSAutoStart

It was designed for flight sims.  It can disable any service you want, launch AH and when you exit AH re-enable 'em for ya'.

Slick little program.  (can also defrag ram IIRC)
http://kensalter.com/software/
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 05:07:43 AM »
When I play AH I have only 12 processes running.I even shut down explorer once I'm playing AH.

what OS are you running? I have only been able to get down to 17/18 processes running.....if I try to go lower Win XP locks up / crashes.......

got a list to show us?

edit: not that there is much difference from 24 processes down to 17 or 18 processes.....no visual improvement in game framerates etc......

anything more than 24 then performances slowly ( snails craw ) drops up to 32 processes then anything higher is dramatic....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:09:38 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 07:27:16 AM »
what OS are you running? I have only been able to get down to 17/18 processes running.....if I try to go lower Win XP locks up / crashes.......

got a list to show us?

edit: not that there is much difference from 24 processes down to 17 or 18 processes.....no visual improvement in game framerates etc......

anything more than 24 then performances slowly ( snails craw ) drops up to 32 processes then anything higher is dramatic....

wow...when i didn't have avg, i could get down to 26, and thought i was doing good. not it's 31.....
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline olddobe

• Zinc Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 10:42:52 AM »
I got better idea,post a list of whats running and I can tell you if it's needed or not.If you shut down the wrong svch.host it will cause problems.There is a site called BlackViper that does a good job of telling you how to slim down processes.One should easily get their processes down to 14-16 w/o problems.Closing explorer after you have started AH is a big help.Just hit ctl-alt-del,highlight explorer,shut it down,then go to applications,double click AH,and your good to go.When your done with AH,bring up the task manager,click on File,new,and type in explorer,hit enter,and your done.
Dobe