Author Topic: Arena cap and being booted when it is changed  (Read 706 times)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Re: Arena cap and being booted when it is changed
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 11:12:58 PM »

The split arena concept has been here for a while now. I think many people have left an arena and not been able to return to it soon after that. The over capacity usually doesn't last very long until the arenas begin to balance again. It may seem irritating that the arena numbers will not update while you are sitting there. You have to log off completely, then log in again with your login name. I'm not sure everyone knows that and a message explaining it might help. Or, having the arena screen update every 10 seconds or so would be nice.

You can also go into another arena and then exit back to the arena menu.  That's worked for me a few times.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 11:15:47 PM »
If this is going to continue make BOTH maps the same, I hate the tanktown map and NEVER fly that map if I can avoid it.  I know there are guys who love the GV game and that is fine I say make an arena for them since the mid war and early war are so under used (obiviously the Big Fast Iron is all anyone wants to play).

Are you kidding? Ndisles is t3h l33t!
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 09:43:13 AM »
I know there are guys who love the GV game and that is fine I say make an arena for them since the mid war and early war are so under used (obiviously the Big Fast Iron is all anyone wants to play).

We could retain the DA and AVA and other stuff but drop the early and mid and make them tanker/tank buster maps for those of that ilk.

The Mid War arena is just fine and healthy, and those of us who spend most of our time in there, like it just the way it is. Why is it when people have a "problem" ... one of the solutions is to get rid of EW and MW arenas ? ... and how would that solve their problem ?

Ummm ... "obviously the Big Fast Iron is all anyone wants to play" ... that is an incorrect assumption.

As far as making the 2 LW arenas having the same map ... you obviously missed the many whiny threads complaining when the LW arenas did have the same "stinky" map.

You say you don't like the "TT Map" ... if we were to use your request ... how would you feel when both LW maps had the TT map ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 10:37:42 AM »
It's frustrating, but really, how can you solve it?

We all run into this, but honestly its pretty simple to overcome. If the cap is just a few under current numbers, then try logging off, but without closing the AH client log right back on again. Check the numbers, rinse, and repeat. As people log off, the numbers drop steadily and within a couple minutes you'll have a slot. (And that's how the numbers can pop up again...if 5 people happen to log on when the server is seeing "198/200" they all get a slot reserved for them. So, if you don't check repeatedly you'll see the totals go from 201 to 200 to 203.)

If the low arena totals are far from the high arena, and the low arena is right on the border of being identified as critically lower, you can run into another problem. Say you get booted with the two being at 300/300 and 201/350. (Just making these numbers up.) If the low arena/high arena proportions fall too far out of whack the system will apply more pressure to the high arena by cutting the allowable slots, so things might suddenly change to 299/250 in high and 199/425. This makes it look like there'll be a long wait for the bigger arena, but usually what happens is that the limits will pop back into line within a few minutes...so you'll see 299/350 and 203/450 if you just keep trying.

At worst you can go to another arena for a sortie, and expect things to be reasonable in your preferred arena when finished.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 10:39:32 AM »
The Mid War arena is just fine and healthy, and those of us who spend most of our time in there, like it just the way it is. Why is it when people have a "problem" ... one of the solutions is to get rid of EW and MW arenas ? ... and how would that solve their problem ?

Slappy:

Have had some nice fights in the MW, but most of the time when I take a look there not much is going on (or there's an unbalanced base rolling swarm working). I'm betting this is a matter of timing...so what times do you tend to find the good stuff going on?
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 08:02:35 AM »
Slappy:

Have had some nice fights in the MW, but most of the time when I take a look there not much is going on (or there's an unbalanced base rolling swarm working). I'm betting this is a matter of timing...so what times do you tend to find the good stuff going on?

Usually prime time (Eastern) ... It seems that Knights and Rooks are always banging head so I look to that front for fights. The Bish have been pretty low on numbers at times when I log on, so I have jumped to their side to try and help out.

At times, it is hard to find a fight, but then I will usually then try to start one ... I get an F6F with bombs and rockets and take pot shots at a town and that will usually garner a response.

Also, as you have pointed out ... I try to find where the "unbalanced base rolling swarm" is "working" and see if I can put a stop to them.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 09:22:34 AM »
It's frustrating, but really, how can you solve it?

I think that the best way to fix it is to hold a person's place in the arena for about 5 minutes after they exit the game or disco.  If they enter another arena, this reservation is automatically canceled, but otherwise, they continue to "count" toward the current arena total and can reenter the arena until this reservation expires.   

This does two things - it fixes the disco problem, and prevents gaming the totals by jumping in and out of arena's as is currently done at times.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue