Author Topic: Ranger's M.E. Bug/Problem Report  (Read 4028 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Ranger's M.E. Bug/Problem Report
« on: July 20, 2008, 10:46:42 PM »
This is a list of the problems I have found so far.  It is mainly for Sudz, but anyone can feel free to chime in.

1. Spawn Location
No matter which flight of the mission you choose, your plane will spawn with the first flight on the field, separating you from your flight temporarily until you roll on over to rejoin them.

2. Cannot takeoff from more than 1 base correctly
Say you have FlightA taking off from A1 and Flight B taking off from A2.  If you choose to be part of FlightB and launch, your plane will take off with FlightA, while the rest of your FlightB takes off from A2(which takes us back to problem 1 above).

3. Inviso-planes
Is there a set number of AI that are allowed to be visible on-screen at a certain time?  In larger missions, invisible planes have been giving people problems.  In my Raiders mission, the enemy doesn't appear with icons until the 2 sides are about 500ft. from colliding.

4. Cue Card Event
I have yet to get this to work.  Ok, you put an event in as a cue card event. selecting Cue Card in the event choices and using a .txt document for the words.  Now, do you select a move time for how long it is up?  If not, that leads to the next question.  The event to bring the cue card down.  Ok, you set another event and choose Cue Card Stop.  To bring it down. do you select a start time for Cue Card Stop, or is that in the move time for Cue Card?  And that's not all!  Alright, we have an event for Cue Card Stop, which by definition should bring down the cue card, HOWEVER, what is the check box in the event properties called Stop Current Cue Card used for then?  Do you check it?  If so, then why have a Stop Cue Card event?  A step by step by someone in-the-know needs posted on this one.

5. Foo fighters
If a friendly flight is within dot range, but out of icon range, those dots will fly any way but forward(usually backward for a little bit, then warp back forward to restart the backward motion.  Only appears to happen with friendly flights.

6. The dreaded .res file
Anyone who was there for the opening week or so of my Raiders mission, knows the grief I went through with this.  I modeled the setup based on the default 1vs1 mission, as it contains a .res with one sound event, mine had more though.  I successfully created the .res, but when people flew the mission, it would crash the game.  Others along with myself tried everything to fix this, but could not.  In the end, I had to include the folder containing all the sounds with the mission download.  I chose to tell the mission to look for the events in Missres folder, simply because I knew everyone would have that folder.  It works, but anyone who doesn't have AH on their C: drive (which I do) has to go in and change all the events to look in the correct drive for their pc.  Not hard, but a pain in the arse since the .res is supposed to take care of this.

Sudz, or anyone else, could you please post a simple mission containing at least 3 sound events with a working .res file and instructions on how it works correctly?  If you have my Raiders mission, just take the sounds out of there, as they are already in the correct AH format(PCM 22khz 8-bit mono).  I have yet to see any working .res file for a mission besides the default.

Thanks all for reading and if anyone has anything to add, disprove, whatever, please chime in.  All I ask is for actual mission proof if someone disagrees with this stuff.  I can provide film/screenshots if need be.

EDIT: Almost missed a couple.
7. Sound Event Problem
If you have a sound that you assign to play for each flight on the same segment at the same event start time, when the sound plays, it will "echo" horribly, as in you here the sound for each flight playing about 1/4 second apart, which sounds like inaudible crap.  Only seems to play the overlapping sound if you set it for the conditions described above.

8. Briefing room problem
I created the map Missn2 for offline missions, which contains custom airfield that do contain a briefing room.  When starting a mission on this map, instead of the brief starting looking at the curtain, it starts off looking at the pilots sitting on the right side wall.  I went back into the T.E. and rotated the Briefing Room object 90 degrees, hoping this would fix it, but it made no difference.  This only seems to happen with custom airfields, which isn't a problem for most, but for me it will hinder future custom map-for-mission projects if we want to use the Curtain Opening event.

:salute
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 11:35:07 PM by USRanger »
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
Re: Ranger's M.E. Bug/Problem Report
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 02:35:10 AM »

3. Inviso-planes
Is there a set number of AI that are allowed to be visible on-screen at a certain time?  In larger missions, invisible planes have been giving people problems.  In my Raiders mission, the enemy doesn't appear with icons until the 2 sides are about 500ft. from colliding.

I sometimes get invisible planes even with missions that have only 1-2 AI planes in them and sometimes I even have problems with invisible planes after I shoot down the AI.

Like they have risen from the dead and want revenge.

By the way incase you are wondering I am serious about this happening I have even posted film earlier and recevied no response from the powers to be. I am sure they are on it though. I will try to locate the film again and respost here.

:salute
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 08:22:36 PM »
9. All flights show for player selection
When setting up the properties for a flight, there is a box to check or not whether you want that particular flight to be displayed when a player is selecting his/her mission flight.  This is supposed to keep the flight selection simplified if there are multiple flights of the same aircraft ,but, regardless if the box is checked or not, each and every flight still displays on the flight selection screen prior to starting a mission.

10. Clipboard map bug in missions
The clipboard map only shows the flightpath for the first flight of the mission when flying any flight.  As a result, if the flight you are in travels a different route than the first mission flight, it will look on your clipboard map like your flight is way off course.  Here is an example:

My LA5 flight and the Yaks flights in front of me are traveling on our preset northwesterly course , but,  on the clipboard map it looks like we should be farther north, traveling in a northeasterly course, which is actually the flightpath for flights of IL-2s.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 08:25:23 PM by USRanger »
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 07:37:51 PM »
11. AI able to fly underground
Says it all.  AI planes are able to fly underground and come back up at their choosing.  Makes low alt fights kind of difficult.
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 07:39:13 PM »
that one I noticed last night  :huh
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline bobtom

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 08:01:57 PM »
I noticed the one when it showed only the first flight's path last night also...but it was nice when we flew by the city.

<S>

bobtom

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 03:39:13 AM »
Ranger,
Aces High still has a 32 plane limit within 3k, that's what causes the inviz-o-plane issue.

HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 04:49:42 PM »
Rgr bro.  Did not know there was an official number.  Thx!
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 07:00:02 PM »
12. Bomber Formations
For B-17s in a Vee formation, ship #2 forms on the lead bomber’s right wing with ship #3 forming on the left.  I think #2 should be on the left with #3 on the right.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 08:28:45 PM »
Ooooh good one Mach ;)
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline ian5440

• Nickel Member
      • http://rollingthunder.spruz.com/main.asp
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 05:51:49 PM »
13. At least for me, unable to start a flight on a carrier
~~~~~~Hellkitty Dweeb~~~~~~
~~~~~~Wildcat Dweeb~~~~~~~

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 11:32:49 AM »
Since missions/AI work on a specific time/place timeline, launching & landing off a moving CV is impossible.  I remember a couple old H2H maps that had static(non-moving) CVs to take off from.  I'll be exploring that in the future, though I don't think it will still work as I believe the CV doesn't contain a briefing room(needed) and the takeoff length might not be enough for AI.  We'll see.
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline ian5440

• Nickel Member
      • http://rollingthunder.spruz.com/main.asp
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 03:47:03 PM »
Since missions/AI work on a specific time/place timeline, launching & landing off a moving CV is impossible.  I remember a couple old H2H maps that had static(non-moving) CVs to take off from.  I'll be exploring that in the future, though I don't think it will still work as I believe the CV doesn't contain a briefing room(needed) and the takeoff length might not be enough for AI.  We'll see.

oh ok thanx  :aok

my midway mission will have to wait then :(
~~~~~~Hellkitty Dweeb~~~~~~
~~~~~~Wildcat Dweeb~~~~~~~

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 09:33:02 PM »
B-b-b-bump

Sudz! Buddy!  Hook us up with a patch bro! :pray
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline -sudz-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 09:18:39 AM »
B-b-b-bump

Sudz! Buddy!  Hook us up with a patch bro! :pray

Okie-dokie.  I'm sure no one will mind if I delay the game patch for a month or so.  :D

- sudz