Author Topic: The Executive Ban? It's Gone! <sniker>  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Executive Ban? It's Gone! <sniker>
« Reply #225 on: July 22, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
Umm yes you can....that's why we have a "NATION WIDE" energy grid.  It's all connected.  The lines are allready ran accross the desert, all you gotta do is connect to them.  ...

Not really.

Texas has it's own grid, the Western Grid and the Northeast Grid are seperate...  There are 6 or 8 grids that cover the 48 and they are amazingly independant.  Texas wind power (about 4 to 5 GW) cannot effectively power Nashville.

There are several variants of the bio-diesel, if just one of them takes off it could be a replacement for regular diesel across the entire country.

This just in:

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) — Lane Transit District is ending its yearlong test of 10 biodiesel buses, saying the alternative fuel was too expensive and caused maintenance problems.

The transit district found biodiesel cost was an average of 5 to 16 cents more per gallon than conventional diesel.

Because the high cost of conventional gas is causing the district to cut service, the added cost to test alternative fuel seemed unreasonable.

“We want to have practices that are sustainable in the sense they’re economically sustainable as well as environmentally,” spokesman Andy Vobora said.

Oregon-based SeQuential Biofuels provided biodiesel for the bus district. Co-founder Ian Hill acknowledged that cost concerns can be an issue.

“You are buying a more valuable product than the petroleum diesel you’re replacing,” Hill said. “We’re certainly working as hard as we can to bring down the cost of biodiesel, but we’re being impacted like everybody else by a weak dollar and a strong export market.”

And Eugene Oregon is not a hub of right wing conservatism.

Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #226 on: July 22, 2008, 06:48:55 PM »
"Amazingly independent" and yet all linked.  My friend who works for Progress Energy here in NC's job is to buy and sell power to and from other power companies.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #227 on: July 22, 2008, 07:31:46 PM »
I need to find the link to back it up but I've read that this is contributing the most to falling oil prices:

1) Bush and crew backing off the war with Iran talk
2) Demand for next year seen leveling, not increasing as before
And the fact that oil has dropped every day since Bush announced the end of the 18-or-so-year-old end of the executive ban (an obvious attempt by the government to increase supply) is mere coincidence....
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #228 on: July 22, 2008, 09:10:29 PM »
I'd say Bush sending that diplomat to sit and listen (not talk as they keep saying) is actually a bigger factor.  If congress lifted the ban and the prices dropped I'd agree.  But they haven't.

People who support Bush (a minority of the country now for years) are looking for anything to say he's done something good.  Stretching it a bit.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #229 on: July 22, 2008, 11:25:08 PM »
"Amazingly independent" and yet all linked.  My friend who works for Progress Energy here in NC's job is to buy and sell power to and from other power companies.

I work for a 600 MW combined cycle power plant in Oregon and our company also has 4,000 MW of installed wind generation across the USA. 

Only that wind installed in Calif, Oregon, Colorado, and Wyoming, effects our 600 MW CS powerplant.  That which is in ND, Iowa,  NY etc. are on a different grid, and are sold to central and Eastern markets.  If the grid goes down as it did in what 2002? (shortly after 9-11 anyway) did not effect western or Texas grids as they are 99%autonomous.

I thought it was about 6, but it is 3 grids in the USA.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!