Author Topic: Adjustment to Scoring (idea)  (Read 8576 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Re: Adjustment to Scoring (idea)
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2008, 02:58:41 PM »
Still doesn't answer my question.  Why are you skirting it?  I'm just wondering.

Murdr freely admitted earlier in this thread that he enjoys vulching for its own sake, we equated it to something like, "Pulling the wings off flies", or "Zapping ants with a magnifying glass". The contention was made that human nature dictates some people are going to enjoy the sadistic pleasure of destroying the totally helpless. It's the "baby killer" phenomena in action. If Murdr is right, and singularly motivated people like that exist, they will still continue to vulch if that is their single motivation. However, if they are ALSO motivated by score, rank and post-flight text buffer puff pieces, they will have to choose which motivation is more important to them and behave accordingly.
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2008, 03:00:35 PM »
Murdr freely admitted earlier in this thread that he enjoys vulching for its own sake, we equated it to something like, "Pulling the wings off flies", or "Zapping ants with a magnifying glass". The contention was made that human nature dictates some people are going to enjoy the sadistic pleasure of destroying the totally helpless. It's the "baby killer" phenomena in action. If Murdr is right, and singularly motivated people like that exist, they will still continue to vulch if that is their single motivation. However, if they are ALSO motivated by score, rank and post-flight text buffer puff pieces, they will have to choose which motivation is more important to them and behave accordingly.

Would you say the score crowd outnumbers the" "sadistic" crowd?
2sBlind

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2008, 03:06:42 PM »
Donkey, sorry if my sense of humor was too cryptic.  Frankly you can go shove your skirt.  I already made it clear I consider it fun under certian conditions.  If you want, I can probably go pull quotes from other threads where I was more explicit if you feel I am avoiding something.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2008, 03:07:21 PM »
I would say it's not the first time his take on something has surprised me, and it won't be the last.

I would also say that it's not uncommon for me to play devils advocate, even if I fundamentally like the idea that I'm poking at.  This is not one of those times.  You give a no score risk period to a "defender", and it will be taken advantage of to the fullest extent.  Playing peek-a-boo with the vulch is a fairly old but actually good tactic, but the sortie does count, and it does affect score via the per_sortie stats.  I guarantee you that egg timers will be sitting on computer desks marking the period where the player "loses nothing", with the intent of wasting the attackers time and then ending flight.  

No risk period, equals more defenders, equals more fighting opportunities.  Sounds good if you are looking for a fight.

However if your Aces High focus is taking bases, this throws a bit of a kink in things.  The idea of not porking the base anymore than needed will no longer be palitable if people are free to up like cockroaches and have the option to renige with no consequences if they don't like what they see.  Seems to me the two possible answers to that is an SOP of flattening all hangers, and/or bringing a bigger horde.  

I like to tag along with base captures, sometimes good fights errupt.  If not, I'm satisfied to cap while the toolshedders do their thing.  Of couse, if the dynamics change where the game pretty much forces fields to be flattened if you want to achive a capture, I'll no longer have a reason to tag along.  Instead of more fighting, there is less.

I don't claim right, but it is a very plausible effect.

Yea I understand your point because when I thought of the idea I had the same concern, but then as I thought about it more it comes down to what zanzen said. The land grabbers would still likely and still could vulch the fields as there would be nothing to stop them. If the goal was to keep cons out of the air to capture the base well this wouldn't affect their goal in any way.

The only real effect would be against the people who are just there to vulch for score and wtg's by landing 20 kills. Granted I do understand there could be room for people to game the game on the other end. Meaning the "free to up with no risk" time period,  I'll admit I do baiting myself by ending sortie before they can vulch me. It's why my kills per sortie score sucks so bad.

The deal is, that's about the only real abuse that could happen in reguards to that and really what does that hurt or than pissing off the vulchers? If the con taking off commits to taking off well 30 seconds isn't much time for him to get in the air and do much and he's still a very easy kill or could still be vulched just the same as now.

In reality unless a lot of guys try to up at the same time, the 30 seconds for the uppers doesn't give them much of any advantage, it just give a little incentive to try. Also if a bunch of cons tried to up at the same time to break the field cap, well it wouldn't be any diffrent than if they did it now. If enough try to get up now they can break the vulch in the end it just come down to team work.
"strafing"

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2008, 03:07:23 PM »

Would you say the score crowd outnumbers the" "sadistic" crowd?

Based on my un-scientific subjective observations, by a 4:1 margin. If you add the people who will also continue to purely vulch to make base capturing easier it would drop to around 3:1 (a lot are very likely the same people that just have both motivations). If I am even close in my estimation, that means 75% of those that currently vulch would instead elect to allow the defender his 30 seconds to get his wheels up before pouncing.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 03:08:57 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2008, 03:07:36 PM »
If you don't vulch, then why are you so worried about what I'm suggesting?

:huh

But I do vulch, and I love it!
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2008, 03:09:46 PM »
I think you're missing something in Strafing's proposal. You can still vulch if you want. Like Murdr's example, if you're just the type that "gets-off", "ripping the wings off flies" or "zapping ants with a magnifying glass", there's absolutely nothing to stop you. The same holds true for those that will likely continue to do it occasionally to make a base capture easy or because they enjoy griefing other players. You can still fullfill yourself if those are truly your motivations, it just won't show up on your scoresheet or his. The people that will likely choose to wait the 30 seconds before they pounce will be those who's motivation is the buffer candy puff piece and score/rank which I strongly suspect are the vast majority.

Lol now I'm a sadist. This is getting good.  :rolleyes:
A kill is a kill. Deal with it.
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2008, 03:10:27 PM »

You can still vulch your arse off, it just won't impact your scorecard or that of the guy you vulch.

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2008, 03:16:15 PM »
Ok I can safely say I get your point.
However your going against some basic cashflow rules. The ACM of the player crossection can be formed into a pyramid, those with most ACM are at the top and therefore are the least in number, and those with less and less getting towards the wider bottom, where most of the player base resides. Would you agree with me?
If you cut the rewarding of being able to 'score' while 'vulching' for those at the lower end of the ACM pyramid, you might take their fun away, and they might take their business elsewhere. Some will choose to become better, some won't however.
While personally I like 1v1 combat, just not against the top dogs as I suck in comparison I love vulching, and when a field is being vulch and I have to protect it (most likely because my CO tells me he will boot me if I don't  :furious) then I switch to attack mode. And I don't get mad if I die.
Deal with it please! And let the guy get the kill he deserves, for you upping from a capped field.
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2008, 03:17:22 PM »
Lol now I'm a sadist. This is getting good.  :rolleyes:
A kill is a kill. Deal with it.

A kill is a kill in exactly the same way the big game hunter that pays 500 bucks to go to Montana to shoot a Tiger in a cage is the same kind of sportsman as the big game hunter that goes to Africa and kills a Tiger by stalking him thru the jungle...;) Sure, they both shot themselves a Tiger, but the 1st guy doesn't have quite the tale of a quality experience to tell when people admire its stuffed head on his wall as the 2nd guy..does he?

So, ya I agree on your scoresheet at the moment, a kill is definitely a kill, but in reality they aren't quite all the same from a "sportsmanship" or "quality" standpoint are they?...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 03:20:20 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2008, 03:19:38 PM »
You can still vulch your arse off, it just won't impact your scorecard or that of the guy you vulch.

I would argue that chances he could "still vulch your arse off" will diminish.  I really believe there are side effects that will change the dynamics of a base capture, it will be a rarity to find a capped field that is allowed to have any type of hanger standing for very long.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2008, 03:21:31 PM »
When the plane that just took off kills my plane ot GV near the town on second 25 - that won't count for him either I guess?  :devil
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »

lol well at least you are honest. Just remember the first step to recovery is first admiting you do have a problem..  :D
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2008, 03:27:40 PM »
When the plane that just took off kills my plane ot GV near the town on second 25 - that won't count for him either I guess?  :devil

Get in a plane and see how far you get from the point of spawning to 30 seconds.. It's barely to the end of the runway and if the base capture was the sole intent of the field cap, well the cappers could still vulch the heck out of him.  ;)

I however have a sneaking suspicion that most of the vulching going on is for score and wtg's..rather than capturing bases.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 03:30:59 PM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »
lol well at least you are honest. Just remember the first step to recovery is first admiting you do have a problem..  :D

I remember getting vulched by a player called Doom on multiple occasions. Thats all he would seem to do all day long. And yes I did make me mad. And I made it known to him that I'm $(*%$(*%)#% off.
But other than that, I didn't make a big deal out of it. Next time he came in I HO'ed him and he went down  :aok
I say let the base go, come in from a different base with some alt, and dish the buggers out what they gave you!  :D
And yes, I am known for clearing fields one ack at a time just to have a vulch fest. And then I reap some kills and my scoreboard looks better for it. Take this with a grain of salt, but bite me:lol
I just think its a natural point in the game, as in WW2 planes killed while taking off were attributed to your score board as well.
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF