Author Topic: Not sure about which plane i should go with  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Re: Not sure about which plane i should go with
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 03:15:42 PM »
Yea.. today i tried the F4U-1A and the F6F like Zazen mentioned i should..
I likeed the F6F a little more.. a lot more to tell the truth.. like he said.. has a lot of fire power. my first time up with it.. sucked.. but i took a lot of hits, which suprised me cuz i would never been able to take so many hits with the spitfire 16. and the second time up.. got 2kills and 1 asssists. and i landed (doesnt happen to often :D) and i still had a LOT of firepower left.. so i liked it and went at it again.. didnt do to bad.. i took it out 6times and got 4kills and 2 assissts.. not bad for a starter. not bad at all i thought..
doesnt turn like the spitfire16. it feels a lot heavier.. and it is. but man can i take some hits, and live to tell the story.

so my next question is.. since i felt it harder to turn.. and heavy. whats the best way to get out of a bad situation.. like someone on my 6.. is it going up.. down. or turn fight?

and thanks zazen.. im pretty happy and having fun with the F6F :cool:

No probelm sir, glad to be of some help.  :salute

Unlike the Spit, the F6F has tremendously useful maneuvering flaps. If you're in deep poo with a bandit closing on your six, turn sharply one direction, not a flat turn, but oblique (some horizontal and some vertical component), drop a notch or two of flaps then swing back the other way hard and look for Mr. Bandit, he's probably not on your six any more. Raise the flaps back up and either try to escape or glue to his arse and hammer away. This is called forcing an overshoot, if you're going slowly you may even be able to drop a notch of flaps before the first break-turn. The faster the enemy is closing on you the better, the greater the speed differential when you do this the more likely he is not going to be able to dump enough E to stay there and will fly right by you.

To quote "Top Gun"..."Hang-on Goose, I'm going to slam on the breaks and watch him fly right by!..."-Maverick (Tom Cruise)

Since you like the F6F, there's a few things you should know other than what I've already told you.

1) It holds its E really well which is a double edged sword. It's harder to "dump it" (slow down) but after a dive it takes a long time to slow back down to cruising speed often allowing you to chase down or escape from other, normally faster planes.

2) It's a really heavy bird so can get sluggish in turns especially if you don't use the flaps, get in the habit of throwing a notch of flaps out if you're doing a lot of sustained turning, just remember to pull it back in when you stop turning. The other part of being heavy is inertia. All heavy planes tend to zoom climb well due to their mass increasing inertia. So, after a dive on someone lower you can gradually pull your nose back up above the horizon toward the vertical then zoom back up before your energy dissipates. The F6F zoom climbs better than lighter planes.

3) To make use of the great visibility adjust your views with page-up, especially the normal front view, this way you're able to practice a lot of different varieties of deflection shots you wouldn't even be able to see otherwise. Just pick one of the complex looking crosshairs so you can have another reference point for aiming since you won't be able to see the boresight.

4) As mentioned the F6F is already pretty heavy, so you don't want to exacerbate that with a larger than necessary fuel load. Try to get a feel for how much fuel you need for flights and only pack what you think you'll need. I would recommend packing 50% gas but bring Drop tanks that you will drop at the first sign of trouble as your default load.

If you need any help Im sure one of our trainers would love to show you some things online. I am glad you are enjoying AH and the F6F.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 04:45:01 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 03:25:50 PM »
I rate the fw-190 at the moment.Its fast with a good roll rate,there is a variant and gun package for all types of fighting. I particularly favour the A8 as it kills bombers with ease,a reasonable shot will nail any aircraft out there with plenty of ammo to spare,you dont even need to take the 30mm cannon option.

Offline NEARY

• Nickel Member
      • The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 10:19:46 PM »
i use the seafire and spits for fighter interception, and i use the yak 9-t and il-2 for bomber interception, the il-2 maybe a bomber but it is widely used as a fighter because it takes so much damage without dieing. it took a p-51 800-1000 direct hits on the wing to bring me down and after 7 over shoots :eek:
The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas.since tour 97.        CO: KCTHUNDR(me)
 ( NEARY tours 96- 107) 2nd in command: Penguin. www.freewebs.com/18thfg   in game i.d.: KCTHUNDR

OBey Teh ChIHuaHUa!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!11!!!1

Offline Fatboy26

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 05:39:47 PM »
FM2......... :aok
Proudly campaigning (screaming, whining, begging, pleading) for the addition of the Me410 to AH2

Fatboy

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 07:11:16 PM »
F4U-1A- Good ammoload, a decent turner and very durable which will help with trigger-time.

Actually after flying F4U-1A quite a bit during my 2 week freebie, I found it one of the better turners.  Could just be rust on my part.

I'd chose the spit9 over the 8 anyday, while the 16 is nothing special imho.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 08:08:47 PM »
Actually after flying F4U-1A quite a bit during my 2 week freebie, I found it one of the better turners.  Could just be rust on my part.

I'd chose the spit9 over the 8 anyday, while the 16 is nothing special imho.

Yea, F4U1A is pretty slick. Alot like the Spit16 specifically because it can do the butter shurning panic stir really well.
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 11:26:53 PM »
I recommend flying whatever you want to fly, it took me over 4 years to learn I loved the Me-109 series, well lets just say I still suck in the 109,
but I am loving every time I take it up to fly.

If you do the same you will just enjoy the game more and more and not really care how amazing the plane is.

just my opinion  :aok

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 12:00:58 AM »
true, the 109f is a nice ride.. all of them are...
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 12:22:55 AM »

No, flaps out the F4U is one of the best at low speed. Sadly, at low speed the thing is over modeled, bigtime.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 07:52:03 AM »
I wouldn't recommend an F4U to a new guy.

The F4U's in this game get a good rep because the guys that fly it have experience and thus no way to judge what F4U's are like "out of the gate."  For a new guy, they are tough planes to learn.  If any one doesn't believe me, I invite you to completely switch your joystick set up.  If you had a very tight control, grab a very loose one.  If you used a twisty stick, grab some peddals.  Now go pick up an F4U to relearn in.  It's not so easy - and you'll actually have the advantage of knowing what you want to do, which a newer guy does not.

Also it's a plane that requires excessive control work to get good results out of.  Competent coordination of flaps, rudder, (heck, even gear) are necessary to truly get the most out of it.  That's an awful lot to think about when you're *just* starting this game.

Spit IX's are easy enough...  Forgiving and only one flap stage to worry about.  Much better, IMO, for learning on.  Just go easy on the shooting.  It's a gun, after all, not a firehose.
same goes for 109s IMO, i also agree with del
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 09:49:15 AM »
its alright to start off in an F4u - long as you stick with it through thick and thin. I think major problem some have is
they realize they can't fight "every fight" whether vert or slow speed what not and get frustrated and stop flying the particular plane.
Even for new pilot if you fly and learn the F4u you only get better and do less mistakes over time.

Granted I normally would agree new pilots shouldn't fly F4u, but I would actually recommend it if your willing to stick to the bird
and learn it. Plenty of good F4u sticks that can help ya.

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 04:40:39 PM »
its alright to start off in an F4u - long as you stick with it through thick and thin. I think major problem some have is
they realize they can't fight "every fight" whether vert or slow speed what not and get frustrated and stop flying the particular plane.
Even for new pilot if you fly and learn the F4u you only get better and do less mistakes over time.

Granted I normally would agree new pilots shouldn't fly F4u, but I would actually recommend it if your willing to stick to the bird
and learn it. Plenty of good F4u sticks that can help ya.
You definately notice that your not making less mistakes as you go.  I say that as a fairly new pilot too.  Here is an example of how u notice that.

When I started playing I used to always fall for the rope and then as i got more expericenced i got to where I wouldn't always fall for it and I'd say I think I have enough speed to keep up with him.  The truth was I was right only about 50% percent of the time.  Now 2 months later from that percentage I think I have gotten to the point of not falling for it 90% of the time and I also have killed many people who underestimated my E state and let me shoot them out of the sky.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 09:24:36 AM »
THe Spitfire Mk V is a great plane to learn in.  It turns very well (dont try to turn with a zeke, though), it had good speed (dont try to run with a Tyhoon or Fw190, though), and it has more than adequate firepower (but ammo is low).

THe Mk V will allow a new guy to learn the basics of a fighter plane, without being in a plane that excels at anything.  Also, the Spit V requires some landing to refuel and re-arm as well.  More practice in landing and taking off.  ;)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 09:43:21 AM »

THe Spitfire Mk V is a great plane to learn in.  It turns very well (dont try to turn with a zeke, though), it had good speed (dont try to run with a Tyhoon or Fw190, though),

:huh

The Spitfire Mk V is one of the slowest fighter AH2 has to offer. On the deck it's like #46 out of 58 fighters in terms of top speed, and unlike later Spit's, the accelration isn't stellar at all.

I don't recommend a Mk V to new players, because you need skill & discipline with it. In the LW MA's ist's hard to get into a good firing position because of the mentioned speed/accel weakness. And if you get there, you need to be a good shot - for a new player the ammo loadout is just too small.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:01:28 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 11:24:53 AM »

I don't recommend a Mk V to new players, because you need skill & discipline with it. In the LW MA's ist's hard to get into a good firing position because of the mentioned speed/accel weakness. And if you get there, you need to be a good shot - for a new player the ammo loadout is just too small.

Lusche, do you happen to know how many 1 second bursts you can get out of the Spit V (and other models, for that matter), before the cannon is emptied? 

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group