Author Topic: Not sure about which plane i should go with  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Re: Not sure about which plane i should go with
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 11:29:25 AM »
Sadly, at low speed the thing is over modeled, bigtime.

Perhaps at full power...  When you start tinkering with your throttle it starts to get pretty easy to wind up in flat spins (not exactly the best thing to be in at 1k off the deck :) )

I'm sure every plane in the set has its innaccuracies, but I wonder how much is due to people just being able to auger & up and learn in here, as opposed to just auger & die in real life, as well as considerations like running around full power everywhere and such.  I think innaccurate "pilots" would get pretty innaccurate results.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2008, 11:38:15 AM »
Lusche, do you happen to know how many 1 second bursts you can get out of the Spit V (and other models, for that matter), before the cannon is emptied? 

The charts at http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php can tell you. Firing time for Spit V cannons is 5 seconds
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2008, 11:43:15 AM »
The charts at http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php can tell you. Firing time for Spit V cannons is 5 seconds

Thanks for the link, I forgot about that one :)

Five seconds is 0-10 kills depending on aim...  Not a bad way to judge your improvement :aok
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2008, 12:00:38 PM »
I don't like getting the F4U under 250mph TAS if I can avoid it. She may have one of the best turn radii in the game, (this isn't the place to debate how things are modelled) but the turn RATE suffers so she'll ultimately lose a prolonged turning contest against most opponents--you HAVE to take the scalp QUICK or he's going to be around on you. It takes an experienced stick to know where to put his nose to get that shot in a low-speed fight, and moreover takes someone who's a good shot to be able to take advantage of that opportunity when it arises. As has been pointed out, the F4U requires a lot more hands-on work to really take advantage of what she can do in a fight. The flaps are superb, but it takes experience to know when to deploy them. Too soon and you'll overshoot the turn. Too late and you won't get around enough. Also, changing directions while hovering at the stall is very dicey. Stability may be a little better in the stall than it should be (but this can be said to varying degrees for ALL planes as well) but as much time as I've had in her I still let her get away from me, especially when changing from a left to right turn.

Additionally, unless you're in a -4 (and considering the circumstances of the post it's a pretty good bet he's not) once you shed all that speed to turn with the Spitties you're in BIG trouble. More than most other aircraft in any multi-plane engagement the F4U needs to stay fast.

There's a rare few pilots that can hover around at 75mph and rack up 5+ kills in a 30-plane furball and get out of it alive to land them, but I don't recommend it for most players, especially those just learning her. Keep her between 250-350mph though and she's one of the best all-around fighters there is (build up the perks to take the -4 for a ride and you'll find out why she IS the best). She just takes time and practice to really become rewarding.

But if you're looking for motivation, just remember...

:D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2008, 01:35:55 PM »
She just takes time and practice to really become rewarding.

...Which would require getting below 250 IAS and mixing it up.  Often. 

(I'm not a big fan of the "keep it fast" mentality :D)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 01:57:31 PM »
I'm in the 250 below club as often as possible.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 04:28:31 PM »
Whenever I take a hog up I have lots of fun in it until I inevitably spin it around somehow st00pid and kill myself.

Navy birds just don't get along with me very much.  F6F is probably my favorite.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »
F4U-1 is the only one i manage to get some crazy stalls from, others aren't as bad.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 08:48:42 PM »
The reason for this is that if you fly a really really really good plane like the ones you were asking about, they're essentially so good that it's very easy to develop 'bad habits' with them, because they're just so good that you can still make mistakes and be successful (thus causing you to repeat the mistakes etc).  However, a not-so-good plane forces you to do things 'correctly' (whatever correctly is  :rolleyes:) and thus helps you to become a better pilot.

This is very intelligent advice.  Not flying a ufo ride like the Spixteen has good long-term effects on a new pilot.  He may not land kills as quickly as the new guy in the spixteen, but he will learn a lot more about acm and energy management, and a few months down the line the spixteen pilot will plateau while the new pilot who flies an OK airplane will surpass him.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!