Author Topic: Understanding the Plane/Pilot Dynamic Objectively  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Understanding the Plane/Pilot Dynamic Objectively
« on: July 29, 2008, 04:38:35 PM »

For you, a very experienced and skilled player, SA comes almost mandatory, near levels of instinct, that your choice of engagements are never bothered by the actual possibility of being shot-down from the sky. But like I said, guys like you forget that the rest 70~80% of the MA population, the average guys of the world, cannot all be like you. For them, gaining victories and having fun in the air comes with a premise that THEY HAVE TO SURVIVE THAT LONG TO BE ABLE TO HAVE ANY KIND OF FUN in the first place.

To them, speed (or rather, the ability to choose the engagements of their liking, and be able to disengage at will, that can be provided by being in speedy plane) is not a passive factor. It is THE primary factor, and an absolutely most important factor that keeps them in the air.

-Kweassa replying to Steve about the Pony's strengths and how people fly them differently...

This is so incredibly important to understand when discussing practically anything on these boards. It just amazes me that so few people understand this. I did ALOT of training back in the day, when Moses was in diapers, and I've seen literally thousands of players grow from complete N00bs to highly experienced players. I can categorically promise you the following is as true as gravity holds your arse to the planet...

Not Everyone...

1) Learns at the same rate.
2) Begins with the same innate conception of gunnery and flying respectively.
3) Has the same maximum potential gunnery and flying skill respectively.
4) Interprets air combat experiences or adapts to them the same way over time.

I know hundreds of people who have been flying many years and really try their butts off, but are still poor to mediocre at gunnery and/or flying. Conversely, I know hundreds of people who had never touched a joystick in their lives until playing, but within a year were "Air Gods" at gunnery and/or flying with very little effort.

Stang, is a great example, he was still a teenager when he started, but I noticed him right away, he stuck out like a virgin in a brothel. I told Soup (4510), "That kid is going to be way better than me one day, you just watch". Well,  it didn't take long for that "one day" to happen. Within a year Stang could fly circles around me, he was already better than I ever thought about being and I had 8-9'ish years (about a million air combat fighter hours) of flying experience on him. It all just made perfect sense to him right from the beginning.

I'm an example of another common type. By the 3rd day of playing AW I was making shots that made people shake their heads in awe. I was popping people from insane angles, never really having to outfly them to kill them. Deflection gunnery to me was like wiping your butt. In my mind, if you could hit your bunghole with a piece of toilet paper you could hit someone at 30 degrees deflection while inverted and doing the dishes. Shooting was so easy for me I never really had to do any fancy flying to kill with great efficiency. As a result I rarely landed kills in the beginning because I'd eventually get backed into a corner and outflown  even though I flew mostly Spits and 109s at the time. However, I became a decent flyer eventually, but never truly great and in almost 20 years, with much effort, I've only grown from decent to merely above average in the flying department. But, I'm still one of the more gifted shotmakers in the game even though I'm much older and half-blind now.

The point is we are all unique, we simply can't say anything vaguely close to.."Well, Steve can do X,Y,Z in a Pony so should RandomGuy13, if not now, eventually". The whole is greater than the sum of its parts when it comes to the plane/pilot dynamic in an air combat game. You have the plane, which is a hardcoded bit of imaginary data portrayed as a cartoon to us and you have the individual pilot which is an incredibly unique blend of innate talent, acquired skills, experience and perspective. Combine the two and you have an almost infinite variety of potential styles, approaches and skill levels,  even when comparing people who fly just one type of aircraft like the P51.

In the final analysis there's only two measures that can be compared between pilots...Effectiveness and Fun...You are either effective at killing people within a reasonable period of time, however you choose to do it (except vulching), or you're not, it's pretty simple and quantifiable. The same goes for fun, you're either having fun or not. If you're not having fun flying a certain way, fly another way. If you find dying un-fun, fly accordingly. If you find flying by the seat of your pants fun, even if it means getting horrendously defiled by a pack of ganging lamers from time to time, do that until the sun falls from the sky. Balancing fun and effectiveness, which are sometimes mutually enhancing or can be mutually exclusive, is the real goal of everyone who truly loves cartoon air combat. But, it almost never equates to the same exact thing for any two people, it's almost like your fingerprint in that respect...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 05:57:20 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
Re: Understanding the Plane/Pilot Dynamic Objectively
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:58:42 PM »
Nice  :aok
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 06:07:45 PM »
You know, I agree with this.

I agree with how you point out the facts, and skill levels etc...

But, one thing that does bug me is sometimes one persons idea of 'fun' translates into someone elses idea of 'I'm about to shoot my computer and hope that it hits this guy'...
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 06:12:27 PM »
Balancing fun and effectiveness, which are sometimes mutually enhancing or can be mutually exclusive, is the real goal of everyone who truly loves cartoon air combat.

Great write-up, all very very true.

The above quote is probaly the truest statement of all and that balancing act is probably the toughest thing to accomplish at times.

:salute
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline zoozoo

• Silver Member
      • http://myspace.com/zachisbackforasnack
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 06:13:35 PM »
agreed, and true!  :aok
Zoozoo
Jokers Jokers
zoozoo fighter ace issue one:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,240022.0.html

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 06:19:23 PM »

But, one thing that does bug me is sometimes one persons idea of 'fun' translates into someone elses idea of 'I'm about to shoot my computer and hope that it hits this guy'...

Well, this is a "war-game". We are supposed to, in a general, (NOT PERSONAL) way thwart the efforts of our cartoon adversaries. For example, when I wield "The Angry Middle Finger of God" (37mm AA) to destroy vulchers and porkers I am having a lot of fun, but I am also inhibiting the fun for those guys I kill if vulching and porking is their sole source of amusement. But, this is the source of all 'conflicts'. Without conflict derived from opposition of wills no one would actually have any fun. There would no longer be an emotionally charged motivation for fighting if no one had a chance to apply their skills and exert their will to affect the outcome of the other's experience relative to their own. The secret is to learn how to have fun whether you "win or lose" then, as if by magic, you find conflict and fun can amicably coexist.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:11:53 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 06:20:31 PM »
Well, this is a "war-game". We are supposed to, in a general way, thwart the efforts of our cartoon adversaries. For example, when I wield "The Angry Middle Finger of God" (37mm AA) to destroy vulchers and porkers I am having a lot of fun, but I am also inhibiting the fun for those guys I kill if vulching and porking is their motivation for playing. But, this is the source of all 'conflicts'. Without conflict derived from opposition of wills no one would actually have any fun. There would no longer be a motivation for fighting if no one had a chance to exert their will and affect the outcome of the other's experience relative to their own. The secret is to learn how to have fun whether you win or lose, then magically, you find conflict and fun can amicably coexist.

Yes, but, take for example, the DA...
99.9% of the people are having a good time getting shot down furballing... but that .1% likes to come in and BnZ or vulch...
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 06:32:17 PM »

Yes, but, take for example, the DA...
99.9% of the people are having a good time getting shot down furballing... but that .1% likes to come in and BnZ or vulch...

What you are talking about is griefers. They are totally different animals. They don't fit the mold because they are wired completely differently than most people. Most people learn what they enjoy doing then consciously place themselves into environments and situations most conducive to whatever pleasure that is.

Griefers don't have any concept of what they enjoy. They are the clinical incarnation of a sociopath personality. They perceive other people like you and I would a  kitchen chair, inanimate and soulless. In their minds they are the only valid entity in the universe. The only true pleasure they can obtain is vampiric, they instinctively seek to fill their own gaping void, your pain is their pleasure. The more they can make you react to their willful destruction of your fun, the more satisfied they are. This is even true to the extent that a griefer will do something they absolutely despise for hours/days/months/years, even if it's insanely boring and tedious to them, if there's even the tiniest possibility they may eventually have the opportunity to sadistically "get-off" on your displeasure with them for ultimately ruining your fun....

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:25:05 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 07:24:39 PM »
Very good post ZAZEN, a little creepy at one point but very good.

Our squad has the full range of players as described in this post. it may even be why we are fairly successful. Some of us are very good at bombing and others JABO or GV'ing. Some are pretty good at all aspects of the game and others just like to come here and have fun working as a team to accomplish objectives. I'd have to say we have a very well rounded squad and can definitely take something from this thread.

Deflection gunnery to me was like wiping your butt. In my mind, if you could hit your bunghole with a piece of toilet paper

Almost QUOTE

Skyrocks don't have any concept of what they enjoy, they are the clinical incarnation of a sociopath personality. They perceive other people like you and I would a  kitchen chair, inanimate and soulless. In their minds they are the only valid entity in the universe. The only true pleasure they can obtain is vampiric, they instinctively seek to fill their void, your pain is their pleasure. The more they can make you react to their willful destruction of your fun, the more satisfied they are. This is even true to the extent that a Skyrock will do something they absolutely despise for hours/days/months/years, even if its insanely boring and tedious to them, if there's even the tiniest possibility they may have the opportunity to sadistically "get-off" on your displeasure with them for ruining your fun....

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 07:31:33 PM »
Very good post ZAZEN, a little creepy at one point but very good.

Our squad has the full range of players as described in this post. it may even be why we are fairly successful. Some of us are very good at bombing and others JABO or GV'ing. Some are pretty good at all aspects of the game and others just like to come here and have fun working as a team to accomplish objectives. I'd have to say we have a very well rounded squad and can definitely take something from this thread.

Yup, if we were all cookie cutter versions of each other, in various stages of baking based purely on tenure, the game would not be nearly as fun or social as it is. The fact that we can interlock our infinitely diverse talents, skills and proclivities creates a macrocosmic expression of ourselves perfected. Our individual deficiencies compensated for by the gifts of the others in a symbiotic way.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:48:53 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 07:47:46 PM »
Part that sucks for me Zaz, is that I usually have too short an attention span to for purposeless tool-shedding, flying heavy bombers in general, tank-town captures, even waiting for lemmings at vulches, etc. So the only way I have left to piss in the other guy's cornflakes is shooting, either in a plane or a GV. And you'd think the BEST way to ruin their day good is by defeating them with correct ACM, but no, half of 'em will send you a <S>. And then you gotta <S> them back, just to keep up appearances. It plumb ruins my vampiric schachenfroed.

:devil

P.S. You all ARE objects like my kitchen chair...but thats okay, I LIKE my kitchen chairs, doesn't everyone?  :rofl

Griefers don't have any concept of what they enjoy. They are the clinical incarnation of a sociopath personality. They perceive other people like you and I would a  kitchen chair, inanimate and soulless. In their minds they are the only valid entity in the universe. The only true pleasure they can obtain is vampiric, they instinctively seek to fill their own gaping void, your pain is their pleasure. The more they can make you react to their willful destruction of your fun, the more satisfied they are. This is even true to the extent that a griefer will do something they absolutely despise for hours/days/months/years, even if it's insanely boring and tedious to them, if there's even the tiniest possibility they may have the opportunity to sadistically "get-off" on your displeasure with them for ultimately ruining your fun....

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 07:57:05 PM »
Great write up ZAZEN,  :aok think about how it would be if everyone flew the same whether it be good or bad, this game would suck balls! If everyone flew really great it would be a 400 person stalemate on any given night :P

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 07:57:34 PM »
So the only way I have left to piss in the other guy's cornflakes is shooting, either in a plane or a GV. And you'd think the BEST way to ruin their day good is by defeating them with correct ACM, but no, half of 'em will send you a <S>. And then you gotta <S> them back, just to keep up appearances. It plumb ruins my vampiric schachenfroed.

Sorry, BnZ, sadly for the griefer in that situation, the victim has mastered the reconciliation of conflict and fun, losing a fight alone won't ruin their fun. You'll have to figure out another way to successfully suck from them their fun-loving life-force.  :cry
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:03:10 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 08:01:56 PM »
Great write up ZAZEN,  :aok think about how it would be if everyone flew the same whether it be good or bad, this game would suck balls! If everyone flew really great it would be a 400 person stalemate on any given night :P

You're exactly right, it's a subtle but extremely important fundamental concept to understand. Once you understand it, you'll be far more tolerant of everyone you encounter as you realize everything that makes you vastly different is actually the kaleidoscopic manifestation of that which makes you exactly the same in essence...This goes for life in general not just this game...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:05:14 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 08:09:25 PM »
Excellent post.
Leads me to wonder what type of category the players that shoot you hanging in the silk for fun fall into.
Does that also translate to how they treat people on the outside world?