Author Topic: Drone?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
Drone?
« on: July 30, 2008, 04:02:03 PM »
So I was messing around online and came across this picture. I know a lot of kitties wound up being drones during the Korean war, are these Drones?

Then I came across this one that had a pilot? This one seem more experimental. Any thoughts?
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline pokecheck

• Zinc Member
Re: Drone?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 04:54:02 PM »
It would be great in the training arena until you get shot down by your noonbie student.
Quite frankly, I just don't give a damn.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 05:18:32 PM »
Yes, they're drones, likely laden with bombs.

In WWII, pilots would have to control drone B-24's to a certain point from which point on, the trailing a/c would remotely control the drone as the drone's pilot/co-pilot bailed out.

The F6F-5K was probably no different AFAIK.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 08:28:24 AM »
These could be the drones of GMU 90.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline pokecheck

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 10:13:58 AM »
Yes, they're drones, likely laden with bombs.

In WWII, pilots would have to control drone B-24's to a certain point from which point on, the trailing a/c would remotely control the drone as the drone's pilot/co-pilot bailed out.

The F6F-5K was probably no different AFAIK.
Then why would they be painted high-visiblity orange?
Quite frankly, I just don't give a damn.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 12:01:36 PM »
Then why would they be painted high-visiblity orange?
The drones actually were orange. Think about it as as a warning... This thing could blow your bellybutton up! Do some Google work on USS Boxer and GMU 90. :salute
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 06:30:50 AM »
I remember hearing about radio controlled aircraft before, but I do not remember their uses.  Were they actually used in WWII?
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 05:37:18 PM »
Then I came across this one that had a pilot?

Yeah, in those times the drones used for live fire practice had pilots. The bullets used would break on impact, planes were up armored a bit and air inlets had screens.

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 06:31:52 PM »
I remember hearing about radio controlled aircraft before, but I do not remember their uses.  Were they actually used in WWII?
they were never use in WWII i forget the guy who die but it did put the end to the project.
Fear and death in the wings, in thrall of those fallen from grace
Petty is as petty does, witness the mass disgrace.

Offline pops949

• Zinc Member
      • http://65yellowmustang.com
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 07:07:49 PM »
Back in the 60's I was in the Navy in a ulility Squad stationed at North Isl. in San Diego. (lived is socal and spent 4 years in SD).  Anyway I was surfing the web and found pictures of the planes I used to fly in.  I was a Drop Control Officer and my job was to fire up the drones and launch them.   We would fly out in the Pacific Missile range and let the ships or fighter try and shoot the drones down.  Of course we had flare on the wing tips so usually they only took off a wing tip.  The Ryan Firebee drone would fly about 550 knots and at about 50K.  The drone had a 100 foot chute so they landed in the water and were picked up by helos. 

And you guys thought you flew RC planes

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 08:41:04 PM »
they were never use in WWII i forget the guy who die but it did put the end to the project.

Actually they did use radio controlled aircraft, and not just in Project Aphrodite <the one
in which Joe Kennedy died>.  The navy used a small twin engine radio controlled aircraft to
destroy a beached japanese freighter during 1944.

Found a link to the type:

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app1/bq-4.html
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 08:51:39 PM by Rino »
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline expat

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 01:12:19 AM »
goggles on ,chocks away, last one backs a homo  hooraaaaaaaaay!

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 03:50:24 AM »
From what I understand, these drones were incredibly unreliable, is that correct?
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 01:53:03 PM »
     Thanks for the headsup expat.  I've been to Dayton 3 times, but never to the navy museum.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 01:06:25 AM »
Here is a neat Post-War shot - a LANCASTER Mk.10DC Drone Carrier of the RCAF with early model FIREBEE Drones.

BTY Pops....Great pics. What was the designation for the P-2 NEPTUNE Drone Carrier? DP-2?

:salute
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"