Author Topic: A running wish list...  (Read 646 times)

Offline NEARY

• Nickel Member
      • The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas
Re: A running wish list...
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 09:34:53 PM »
it is genius :rock
The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas.since tour 97.        CO: KCTHUNDR(me)
 ( NEARY tours 96- 107) 2nd in command: Penguin. www.freewebs.com/18thfg   in game i.d.: KCTHUNDR

OBey Teh ChIHuaHUa!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!11!!!1

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 09:41:39 AM »
Understand, I'm not complaining...I've learned (the hard way, by losing a wing or a tail) to use an aircraft within the envelope, but the blackout/red-out thing almost completely negates the turning abilities of the aircraft altogether.

G-LOC (G-induced Loss Of Consciousness) in older fighters, (loss of blood flow to the brain) was gradual, and symptoms like tunnel vision
could be relied on as warnings. G-LOCs between 6 and 9 g are characterized by temporary loss of colour vision, tunnel vision, or an inability to interpret verbal commands. Sustained high-G turns could result if blackout if the warning signs were not heeded. Today's aerobatic pilots, flying Sukhois, CAPs, etc., typically pull 8-10Gs in extreme maneuvers, which are far more aggressive than WW2 fighter maneuvers due to their smaller size and higher wing loading.

The G-loading of a P-51 is listed by the USAAF as +8/-4 (USAAF 44-14134, 2/27/45). Unlike today, where G force indicators are often buffered within safety margins, during WW2, those standards were considered 'danger zone' numbers capable of tearing a wing off. This means that pushing a P-51 to the G-force limits are still with the acceptable range of most pilots not blacking out, especially as quickly as we do in AH.

That being said, I think they've modeled the negative G aspects pretty well, but again, I think the closure rate of the 'red screen of death' is a bit too fast...again, only by a few seconds.

A buddy of mine is staying with us. He's staging his Yak-50 out our local airport going into EAA all this week. I'll talk to him about this. He's a Navy test pilot who's got more hours than I can possible imagine in performance a/c. I think he's in the 15,000 hour range...siiiiick.

I'll get his input and pass on what's he says.

Jeff
Skunkworks AvA Researcher and
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline 100goon

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 09:44:40 AM »
 :aok  :salute good list
Claim Jumpers

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 10:55:25 AM »
Best wishlist ever and not one idea I don't agree with.  <S>

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 03:09:14 PM »
I agree with everything you've mentioned as well. Some of these strike me as simpler and more urgent than existing plane graphics upgrades.

Add a better mix of mannable field ack (Big and Small) and you'd hit all of my wishes.

If only we could actually find out if any of these are actually in the works!

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 03:45:14 PM »
9. The blackout/redout thing... I've got more than 3000 hours of flight time in everything from Cessna 140s to Fouga Magisters. I've pulled some serious Gs in my time, and I've never blacked out that quickly. It takes a few seconds for that to occur in a sustained hard turn or dive (unless you're pulling 7-8 instantly in an F-18/F-16 type aircraft), and I feel the blackout/redout rate is too fast. Just my humble opinion... It would certainly allow players to be more competitive. The good pilots will always work within the envelope, but the less experienced pilots should have a buffer. Not asking for alot, perhaps slow the closure by a second or two.

Here is the AH model for G-lock explained...

The black out model is suppose to work as follows.

There are two types of blackout.
1. Unconsious black out (UBO)
2. Vission black out (VBO)

when in VBO, you still have complete control of your plane.
When in UBO, no controls are operational.

As long as you do not completly black out, I.E. never have VBO you should never have UBO. (except for pilot wound).

Once you enter VBO a fatagie factor starts rising, If you reach 3 secs of fatagie, you will enter UBO, UBO last for 10 secs.

If you did not reach UBO, and are not currently in VBO, Your fatagie factor recovers at 0.1 per sec, I.E. if you were in VBO for 1 sec, it would take 10 secs before your fatage factor went back to zero.

HiTech

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 04:41:17 PM »
#4 on the OP:  press F8.
#1 is second nature with a bit of time. It would be nice to have remote control of the turret from the other positions, though.  If not via the rudder from the pilot seat, then with four or eight buttons to rotate to cardinal headings.  And while we're at it, independent track control/torque invert to allow those GVs that historicaly could rotate on the spot, too..
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 04:45:58 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you