Author Topic: Weather!  (Read 1011 times)

Offline TheMan

• Copper Member
Re: Weather!
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 03:32:33 PM »
Historically, weather = grounded.

Sounds like fun?

Realistically, clouds = frame rate of 8

(Why is this, rendering a big mass of white you can't see through?)

Post the dead horse again?
Thats cute , now , weather did not always ground them , only severe did. When i mean weather I mean there should be night time , snow , rain , and wind. We have wind but only at high alt. And atleast make it an option for those who can handle it

wrngway
(past his bedtime)

Offline TheMan

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 03:33:58 PM »
My thought is that you have two posts this morning; both complaining about something.

Personally I'm not interested in spending a couple grand every year on new hardware just so you can see raindrops on your canopy. Then consider what the download times would be for such add-ons. FSX is what? twenty-something gigabytes?
What are you talking about>? This is for people that want it , read! Extra downloads for anyone that wants a real game.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 03:35:47 PM by TheMan »

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 11:13:21 PM »
Once upon a time in AH1 we had nice looking rain storms and fluffy white clouds.  What ever happened to them?  I don't know.  Been away for a while (about 4 years) and when I come back, the game has less features than before.  Go figure...

The hardware requirements of this game are now so far below modern specs there should be no reason to remove them except to appease the gamers amoung us.

Couple of screenshots of AH weather here:
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5742/ahss16he.png
http://www.savanne.org/ah/SC6.jpg
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:34:24 PM by Blue Mako »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 12:12:58 AM »
What are you talking about>? This is for people that want it , read! Extra downloads for anyone that wants a real game.

Then the people with slower computers wouldn't use this feature and those who did would post whining that those who didn't were gaming the game for an advantage (because for them there wouldn't be any clouds that the others thought they were hiding in).

This is the primary problem with enhancing graphics for this game in any way.  Every enhancement creates an advantage for those who can't run it.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 01:17:26 AM »
Then the people with slower computers wouldn't use this feature and those who did would post whining that those who didn't were gaming the game for an advantage (because for them there wouldn't be any clouds that the others thought they were hiding in).

This is the primary problem with enhancing graphics for this game in any way.  Every enhancement creates an advantage for those who can't run it.

So the game should be coded, setup, or designed or whatever you call it for the slowest computer that might want to play the game.  One end suffers no matter what.  I'm not picking ends, just wondering should the game be kept at a level of 5 (just throwing a number out there) year old technology, or should it somewhat keep up with the advancements in technology.

I'm not criticizing, just throwing a thought out there.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 01:37:03 AM »
My $0.02 on the matter is that games do have to advance with the times at some point.  Could you imagine if we were trying to play this game on an old Atari because they didn't want to make people have to buy updated hardware?

I too would love to have weather, and I know I would get a frame rate hit for sure, but the added realism and depth to the game would be really neat and make it worth it in my opinion.  There are already clouds in-game and no one complains about those, can't they just make storm clouds more opaque (Shorter draw distance)?

I do know of a game that has a "classic" graphics pack that takes considerably less resources than the "premium" graphics pack.  Both show the same things on screen, but one has less details than the other (ie. classic weather doesn't have the "Wow!" factor, but it has the same visual impairments as the premium weather).  Perhaps this is the way forward for this game so we don't lose the players that have been around forever and can't afford to upgrade their computers.

I know I've posted this idea before, but why not have an arena with weather, and one without? :)
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 01:38:22 AM »
If weather was included there would be moaning because I couldn't see or do anything about the massive gv raid that came to my fog shrouded air base. Or I  lost my 262 worth 300 perk points that I flew into a mountain because the clouds are so thick. Or I didn't pay to fly 2 hours to try & bomb a factory that I couldn't see from 25k due to the clouds below me. Or the  runways were covered in snow & I couldn't get off the ground. Be happy every day is a fine & sunny day in the world of AH11.

Offline Wyld45

• Copper Member
      • AH2 Rough Rider Bugler
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 02:16:44 AM »

Hey Man, sorry you have to read all the "stubborn-old-goats" "things-are-just-fine-the-way-they-are"
 "Take-a-crack-at-the-ZINC-member" half way down your page first. Instead of saying something decent
 like,"well,nice idea but heres why the problem". I thought you asked a pretty reasonable question as
 to WHY dont they have it. I would have to agree with some though,sure it would be pretty and to
 some extent,"realistic", but that would require more file loads,glitches,paying 20$ a month on the
 game to pay for "Hitechs" overtime on enviro-projects,....and we all know he drives the biggest
 SUV to work!   :eek:
RRWyld45  1138th "Rough Riders" Bomber Wing

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 06:18:13 AM »

Hey Man, sorry you have to read all the "stubborn-old-goats" "things-are-just-fine-the-way-they-are"
 "Take-a-crack-at-the-ZINC-member" half way down your page first. Instead of saying something decent
 like,"well,nice idea but heres why the problem". I thought you asked a pretty reasonable question as
 to WHY dont they have it. I would have to agree with some though,sure it would be pretty and to
 some extent,"realistic", but that would require more file loads,glitches,paying 20$ a month on the
 game to pay for "Hitechs" overtime on enviro-projects,....and we all know he drives the biggest
 SUV to work!   :eek:
They already have a weather system though, it's just turning it back on.  At least that's my understanding.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 09:42:12 AM »
They already have a weather system though, it's just turning it back on.  At least that's my understanding.

It wasn't really a weather system.  It was just different graphics (some more interesting than todays) but most of those were in AHI.  I'm not sure they would be immediately transferrable to AHII, at least not without some re-working.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 09:54:50 AM »
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 10:45:34 AM »
I would like to see weather added as well.  However, the frame rate issue for me would be the problem and i have a fairly new computer.  Just the other night, was hitting frame rates of about 58 and flew over a fog bank.  Frame rates went down to about 10 and things started getting funky. 
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 10:57:05 AM »
heck right now I cant even get into a fur ball because my frame rate falls to 3 but I am having to fly on a laptop (an issue I hope to set right in the near future), but it would be nice to see, I just couldnt fly against anyone in the game, LOL heck I cant now when 200+ players get in the arena I just have to log off, BUT like I say not for too much longer, he he he he
frank williams aka/ab8aac/dmdchief/damned ole trucker

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:01:43 AM by dmdchief »
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline Wyld45

• Copper Member
      • AH2 Rough Rider Bugler
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 11:59:09 AM »
It wasn't really a weather system.  It was just different graphics (some more interesting than todays) but most of those were in AHI.  I'm not sure they would be immediately transferrable to AHII, at least not without some re-working.

"WARBIRDS" old enviroment graphics??....nawww, couldnt be. :aok
RRWyld45  1138th "Rough Riders" Bomber Wing

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 12:03:51 PM »
All the things in the OP are already in game... they just aren't implemented in the MA.

Having flown in the SEA and AvA when we've had fairly extreme weather, I can say that it didn't effect my framerates any more than normal.