Author Topic: Next War?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline OldBull

• Copper Member
Re: Next War?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »
Strats-- can do without it. flying for 45 minutes in a bomber to drop on a target is my idea of watching grass grow. if its a air base or VBase for ack reduction, that's fine.
 Simple solution there Captain1Ma, fly what you like to fly & don't fly bombers, I find the constant furball boring beyond endurance but I don't advocate having no fighters because I don't like to fly them, I can also attest to the fact that I have provided ample targets for many of you fighter jocks when there is a bomber available worth flying, when there is not one I just spend more time down by the pond watching the pond scum grow, and you have one less target to shoot at, by the way, I think I mentioned the pond scum is a beautiful shade of green right now.
 Maj OldBull
XO Avengers
OldBull
XO ~Avengers~

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 12:54:39 PM »
Strats-- can do without it. flying for 45 minutes in a bomber to drop on a target is my idea of watching grass grow. if its a air base or VBase for ack reduction, that's fine.
 Simple solution there Captain1Ma, fly what you like to fly & don't fly bombers, I find the constant furball boring beyond endurance but I don't advocate having no fighters because I don't like to fly them, I can also attest to the fact that I have provided ample targets for many of you fighter jocks when there is a bomber available worth flying, when there is not one I just spend more time down by the pond watching the pond scum grow, and you have one less target to shoot at, by the way, I think I mentioned the pond scum is a beautiful shade of green right now.
 Maj OldBull
XO Avengers

:lol  :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 01:30:36 PM »
by the way, I think I mentioned the pond scum is a beautiful shade of green right now.

interesting choice of words, should i consider them an insult or an observation?

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 02:25:47 PM »
when there is a bomber available worth flying, when there is not one I just spend more time down by the pond watching the pond scum grow

Looks to me like he's talking about his own personal pond, and the usual summer growth.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2008, 03:11:47 PM »
edit

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2008, 04:59:46 PM »
 :noid :noid :noid

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 04:40:12 PM »
ATTENTION! THEORETICAL OFFICIAL QUESTION COMING UP!

OK, we have talked about the Rolling plane set - earliest to latest.

What would you guys think of a "ROLLING TERRAIN" set up? Every couple of days to once a week? Maybe based on how well one side did would determine which terrain would be next and what plane-set would be available.

If not - how about a specific place for the next war. ETO, MTO, PTO?  (Miami is out due to the tourist season.    :( )
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 08:58:50 PM »
Jester  :salute

I have seen some posts here about limiting the war/ setups.  I am one of those that believe that this will increase / reinforce the accomplishments of those who fly AvA.  With the number of resets that we can expect during the week, it only makes sense to me to have a new objective every so often days. 

My question to you is:  Is there a way that the staff can set default settings to mimic the desired settings for that frame.  Essentially, I am asking does a staffer have to manually retune the settings or is this something that could automatically be done in case there are any unexpected resets.

Even if the answer is yes, any progress made by previous players in nullified.  So, yes Jester I am in favor of shorter frames.  And I will keep posting about a mini one day experimental frame to try out new suggestions during the reset periods (I assumed caused by the Titanic Tuesday server juggle), until someone can explain to me why it is not a viable idea. (I am open to discussion, and hope no one thinks that I believe that my way is the only way).

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2008, 09:06:34 PM »
Any chance of giving this a try.   Really don't think there is much to lose trying it for a week or two.  At bare minimum the feedback from it will answer many questions and hopefully give a new direction for the AvA.  Guess I just don't understand...

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,239877.0.html
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline OldBull

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2008, 11:06:28 AM »
interesting choice of words, should i consider them an insult or an observation?
No insult intended Captain, the pond scum comment may be first referenced to an early post in the Fin-Rus thread. It is not my style or intention to generate or provoke personal vendettas, I try as best I can to use a humorous twist when ever possible to illustrate my point.
Maj OldBull
XO Avengers
OldBull
XO ~Avengers~

Offline lutrel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 12:21:52 PM »
I would like to see us try a new map every week with a rolling plane set; maybe with the plane set using a three week rotation.
Lutrel AkA "Lut"
CO ~Avengers~

Offline a4944

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 01:26:22 PM »
I would think no more than once a week for maps.  I'm assuming they take take some staff time and thought to get a good initial setup.  I don't mind replaying a setup for a week if one side hits a victory condition and we reset.   Might give the staff more time to focus on the next week so we can hit the ground running.

The staff already does a good job picking maps and planesets.  We could keep that because it seems to be working well and focus on introducing objectives (light war).  Wing it on the planeset rather than an official rolling formula may be the best to start with.  It gives more flexibility to make changes as we go rather than getting locked into a multiweek rolling planeset cycle.

Here is a thought.  We could have a light war from Wednesday through Sunday inclusive.  Monday and Tuesday can be furball days and preparation time for the next light war.  This is based on the maps getting porked by Titanic Tuesday if that is indeed the case.  It could be taken farther and only have one war a week (no reset and start over if the war ends early).  If it finishes early (such as a small map) then it could be furballing and practice only until the next Wednesday where the next war starts up.

I think Bugs war concept is as good as any if it can be supported by the staff.  I do think we should minimize the requirments on the staff. 

Venom

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2008, 02:22:09 PM »
No insult intended Captain, the pond scum comment may be first referenced to an early post in the Fin-Rus thread. It is not my style or intention to generate or provoke personal vendettas, I try as best I can to use a humorous twist when ever possible to illustrate my point.
Maj OldBull
XO Avengers

sorry, i focused on an association to green. guess i just get a little jumpy at times.  :)