Author Topic: 105$$ to spend on a Vid Card  (Read 1246 times)

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
105$$ to spend on a Vid Card
« on: August 05, 2008, 12:39:39 AM »
:rock

I got a PCI Express Slot with an Intergrated ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 video card. What can I get that'll do better for AHII? :rock :rock

I might just bust my butt for a couple more weeks and get a new comp... I'm debating on it though.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
Re: 105$$ to spend on a Vid Card
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 03:59:08 AM »
For in the ~$100 range you should be looking for a Geforce 9600gt.  For Aces High it'll set you up pretty well.

If you were willing to spend closer to $200 I'd say go for the ATI 4850, or the Geforce 8800gt.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 08:18:19 AM »
For in the ~$100 range you should be looking for a Geforce 9600gt.  For Aces High it'll set you up pretty well.

If you were willing to spend closer to $200 I'd say go for the ATI 4850, or the Geforce 8800gt.
We need to know what the power wattage/amps of his PSU is.  Otherwise you're going to have a computer that shuts off on you when you're trying to fly.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 12:05:30 PM »
You may be able to get a ATI 3850 or 3870. But lets just get it out there; anything is better than onboard video. Remember to remove the old drivers first and then use Driver cleaner or some such program to clean out any remnants. Then disable On board video in the BIOS.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 01:39:48 PM »
DO NOT BUY AN NVIDIA CARD WITH ONBOARD ATI EXPRESS

It's just that simple, there are potentially unsolvable driver incombatabilities since the onboard chipset is invariably OEM and does not have updated drivers for the MB etc. Stick with an ATI card. newegg has the 3870 gigabyte for $99 with a zalman fan. Thats your best bet...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 02:12:57 PM »
We still need to know the max wattage on his PSU.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 02:19:32 PM »
I'm guessing his PSU is in the 300-350W range.  He'll be hard pressed to find anything that doesn't require at least 400W.
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 02:23:27 PM »
If that's true, another $25 - $50 will fix that.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 02:31:12 PM »
I' assume he's got the standard 300W box PSU. The compaq 300W PS is actually not that bad, its got an 18@ 12V rail. If he's only got stock components then he might be ok...

some other options

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102704 $15

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121259 $20

Neither of these requires a seperate 6 pin 12v power lead so both should be fine...but both are marginal cards {but better then what he has by a lot}.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 02:35:33 PM »
I'm guessing his PSU is in the 300-350W range.  He'll be hard pressed to find anything that doesn't require at least 400W.

I know you can get a 450 watt PS pretty reasonable. Now the particulars of that I don't know. I used one for my Mom's build and it is working beautifully. However, she does not play online games.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 03:20:46 PM »
I know you can get a 450 watt PS pretty reasonable. Now the particulars of that I don't know. I used one for my Mom's build and it is working beautifully. However, she does not play online games.
But we have to consider that he's never done any of this before.  Replacing a PSU can be quite the challenge for someone that has just learned to take the side of the case off.  We all know it's really simple, but for the novice, it's a whole different scenario.

I believe humble's video card suggestions should be ideal for this situation without a real need at a larger PSU (thus replacing it).

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 03:25:12 PM »
But we have to consider that he's never done any of this before.  Replacing a PSU can be quite the challenge for someone that has just learned to take the side of the case off.  We all know it's really simple, but for the novice, it's a whole different scenario.

I believe humble's video card suggestions should be ideal for this situation without a real need at a larger PSU (thus replacing it).

Ditto Fulmar.

Pesonally I am still learning about Power Supplies. I've gained a little knowledge in the last couple of weeks. Nothing to right home about though.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 03:28:30 PM »
I mean I'm referring to unplugging everything and then plugging it all back in.  It's possible for a novice.  Draw a map of where every connection went etc., but when it comes to recommending actions to someone who I can't help in person with this....I choose the safer route.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 10:11:22 PM »
I've had he PS in and out so often in the last few months I can put them in blind folded.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 10:14:44 PM »
I've had he PS in and out so often in the last few months I can put them in blind folded.

I wish mine was that easy, even after 6 times it still is annoying.  The way that is said to be the way to remove it, is in fact not how it is done, take more complex work :cry
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"