Author Topic: Roger Wilco Defaut Key: Please Change!  (Read 708 times)

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
Roger Wilco Defaut Key: Please Change!
« on: September 09, 2000, 05:13:00 PM »
Please change it!

At first I was not thrilled about the way RW tuning works in AH, and I initially criticized it. But more and more, Resounding seems to have problems with their server and my squad cannot rely on their RWBS server for squad comms, as we used to do. So we resort to in-game RW tuning using radio channel 5, and I increasingly find it very useful. After all, it's not such a bore to tune .radio 5 1 to disactivate in-game RW tuning and alt-tabbing to the desktop to tune an external server. I can live with that, while radio 5 tuning usually works fine.

One thing really, really, really bugs me with in-game handling of Roger Wilco communications though: the default transmit key.

Please change it!

The default transmit key, "T", is so often used in English that when using in-game RW tuning I keep getting spammed with mike clicks because of text typed in the chat buffer!

[Since by default, RW transmits a mike click sound every time we push the transmit key. Just count the number of Ts in this message!]

My squad will eventually get around making all members change their RW transmit key, but when sharing RW comms with countrymates (such as during Zigrat's famed Nit missions), we are bound to keep getting spammed with mike clicks.

HTC, could you please change the defaut transmit key to something else?

I'm using F12, which hasn't been assigned anything.

Thank you!  

Nevertheless, once again, many thanks for the inclusion of RW support in AH.  

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)

WingMan

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2000, 12:46:00 PM »
umm, you may want to talk to the RW people about that.  I don't think AH has anything to do with the default key that RW has chosen.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2000, 03:49:00 PM »
Incorrect wingman.

My PTT key is     \     (just above CTRL on this keyboard)

When I run AH it changes to T.  One ALT-TAB later it's back to \.  This is now automatic......run AH, ALT-TAB, change PTT key, back to AH.

Swoop

funked

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2000, 04:44:00 PM »
Amen Doc.  I am on a one-man campaign to get people to remap.  Sounds like somebody is making popcorn on RW sometimes!

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2000, 06:00:00 PM »
Jeeezz.. now if this ain't a worthless whine, I dinnae what is.

How to fix the mic clicks
1.  Start Roger Wilco
2.  Choose 'Adjust' tab
3.  Uncheck 'Play mic clicks'
4.  Resume use of Roger Wilco

Swoop, about AH changing your PTT key, remap it in AH.  I forget which set of keys it's in, though I think it's in the Global set.  I did this a long time ago and AH has never changed my PTT key in RW.

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2000, 06:01:00 PM »

Originally posted by WingMan:
umm, you may want to talk to the RW people about that.  I don't think AH has anything to do with the default key that RW has chosen.

You're wrong. "T" is the key mapped by AH to voice comm ("Key Mic").

When you configure AH to use RW, everytime you load AH, it changes the RW preferences so its transmit key matches the one in the AH setup ("Key Mic"), then loads RW.

If you don't change the AH voice comm key, it will stay "T" and AH will remap the RW transmit key to "T" everytime you load AH. So when you're on RW with people in AH, you're getting spammed with mike clicks by players who did not re-map their AH voice comm key ("Key Mic").

I would be eternally grateful to HTC if they change the default transmit key in the next patch...  

Of course that won't fix the problem right now, since an update installs over existing preferences, so we still have to campaign to make everyone change their transmit key.

The default transmit key in RW is DELETE, which is really not a good idea either.

The only non disruptive choices I see right now are F12 and END. Neither are assigned anything I believe.

------------------
DrSoya

Don't inflict the Chinese torture of mike clicks to your countrymates! Change your AH Key Mic!

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2000, 06:34:00 PM »

Originally posted by CavemanJ:
How to fix the mic clicks
1.  Start Roger Wilco
2.  Choose 'Adjust' tab
3.  Uncheck 'Play mic clicks'
4.  Resume use of Roger Wilco

I thought that fixed the problem only for the sender. I thought that if I did it on my end, I would still keep getting spammed with mic clicks because it would only refrain RW from sending mike clicks, not from receiving them.

I just checked on the RW server, and I was wrong. By doing what CavemanJ describes, you won't hear mike clicks at all.

Well it saddens me a little, since the mike click is supposed to add to the immersion, but repeated mike click spamming can amount to Chinese torture!  

BTW to remap the voice comm/transmit key:

AH Setup / Key Mapping / Global Keys / Key Mic.

Jeeezz.. now if this ain't a worthless whine, I dinnae what is.

Was that comment really necessary, Caveman?

Careful, or I'll start believing in what RAM and StSanta have been saying these past few days (God Forbids  ).

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2000, 06:57:00 PM »
"So we resort to in-game RW tuning using radio channel 5, and I increasingly find it very useful. "

Excuse the ignorance, but why do you have to use any radio channel to use RW? I haven't been able to get RW to work, so wondering if I've missed something? Don't I simply turn it on in SETUP and then hit the transmit key to send?

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2000, 07:36:00 PM »
neg Viking,
hehe, that would be a mess  

If you would like to use RW,you and your squad(or any other person's') Will need to pick a channel, like say 100, then you would type  .radio 5 100

Then use transmit key to speak

Fire up RW, or ALT TAB out of AH next time you login, and do what Caveman suggest.  

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2000, 10:31:00 PM »

Originally posted by Viking:
Excuse the ignorance, but why do you have to use any radio channel to use RW?

We don't. But it's much simpler.

If you enable in-game use of RogerWilco ("Enable RogerWilco" and "Enable auto-start" both selected in Setup / RogerWilco), then radio 5 can be used to tune RW to a shared channel. No need to alt-tab to the desktop to go type an IP address in RW.

Selecting a radio frequency between 100 and 200 tunes a country-only RW channel.

Selecting between 200 and 300 tunes a global channel (any country can listen).

The first guy that selects a specific radio 5 channel will host the RW channel, but it's the AH server that will keep track of the IP address, so when the others join, the AH server instructs your copy of AH to join the correct RW channel.

- "What's frequency for the lanc raid to the bish HQ?"
- "182"

then ".radio 5 182"

that's all it takes now to share voice comms.

If your squad uses a private RW server, then what you need to do (if RW is enabled in AH setup) is to tune radio 5 to 1. This untunes RW from any channel. Then you alt-tab to the desktop and manually type an IP address in RW to join the correct channel.

I haven't been able to get RW to work, so wondering if I've missed something? Don't I simply turn it on in SETUP and then hit the transmit key to send?

Who do you want to talk to? Like Camel wrote, you got to join a RW channel first... by selecting a frequency, with

.radio 5 xxx

where xxx is some number between 100 and 200 for country comms, and 200-300 for global comms.

The first guy to join a channel gets to host the channel, so it's a good idea to make the DSL and cable modem guys create the RW channels. (I haven't tested the "Disable Hosting" option, but it probably forbids AH from hosting a RW channel on your computer.)

[Oops this has been ommited from the 1.04 readme] Make sure you have the latest version of RogerWilco, "Mark Ic". Usually, when people have problems, that's because they don't have the right version. (You downloaded it and installed it, right? It's not provided with the AH installer.)

http://www.rogerwilco.com

To verify that your RW works, try joining the RogerWilco test server at

An automated message goes on and on; if you don't hear it, then something's wrong with your setup. (The voice says that everything you say should be echoed back to you, but that's wrong, it doesn't work on that server.)

------------------
DrSoya

[This message has been edited by DrSoya (edited 09-11-2000).]

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2000, 08:30:00 AM »
You can use your squad RW basestation through radio 5.  I use it all the time.  This is how to do it:

When you log into AH, tune radio 5 to some channel.  I usually use 134.  Alt tab to windows and check RW.  If you're alone on the RW channel, it means that AH now has ch134 "tagged" to your IP.

Now unjoin from that channel and join your RW basestation.

When you go back to AH, any player who joins 134 will be sent to your IP and redirected to the basestation.

As simple as that!

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

Brewster into AH!

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2000, 11:25:00 AM »
RUT-RO!

I change the default RW transmit key from "T" to "DELETE"

I thought "DELETE" would be OK.  I have had no problems yet!

DAMN!  This thread just told me why Im always hearing those mic clicks!  People are typing!  HA! Cool!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2000, 07:26:00 PM »

Originally posted by LLv34_Camouflage:
When you go back to AH, any player who joins 134 will be sent to your IP and redirected to the basestation.

Hey! This is Great!  

Uh... it works even if a subchannel is selected?  (e.g. something like 205.240.163.10/ah/nit/ ?)

I'll be sure to try it on next squad night.

DrSoya

------------------
DrSoya

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2000, 07:32:00 PM »

Originally posted by Swager:
I thought "DELETE" would be OK.  I have had no problems yet!

I used DELETE at first. Until I helped my brother figure out RW use from the desktop, and proceeded to delete half a dozen icons from my desktop.  

That's when I changed it to INSERT.  

INSERT is taken in AH, so I use F12.

------------------
DrSoya

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2000, 12:58:00 AM »
I use keypad_enter.

My hand is on the keypad anyways for working the views.  It doesn't seem to be used for anything else.  And it's a large button--hard to miss.