Author Topic: XFire Compatibility  (Read 985 times)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: XFire Compatibility
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 09:14:32 AM »
Typically limiting the permissions of certain computer features will prevent some of the easier methods of malicious access through these programs. I have my own computer security auditing software to help me out with that.

SectorNine, HTC has no part of making AH accessible with the in-game chat functions of XFire. XFire staff does that, this is why we're asking you to request it on their website. It also seems that XFire consults the game creators to ensure its alright that they are adding the product to the list of supported games. And as we've mentioned, it seems HTC has already turned them down.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 09:33:28 AM »
Vent, Team Speak, & Skype are all good.

XFire & Steam messed my computer up.
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 03:52:15 PM »
My AV picked up multiple viruses from Skype.
FlameThink.com

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »
Vent, Team Speak, & Skype are all good.

XFire & Steam messed my computer up.
Teamspeak - horrible sound quality
vent - not free(?)
Skype - crashed my computer numerous times
xfire -  runs fine on my comp, no problems whatsoever

Honestly I don't care about in-game chat. I'd like it to at LEAST be able to detect that I'm playing it so it can count my hours and go into my profile. I've put lots of hours into AH and it doesn't even rack them up.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 07:52:06 PM »
Vent is free as well.

Well, maybe it's good that I asked it in this forum, maybe HTC will allow them to make it compatible with AH2! :aok
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 03:11:27 AM »
Teamspeak - horrible sound quality

Mic issue, not TS, TS is actually pretty good

vent - not free(?)

It is, but it's less convienient (imo) than TS

Skype - crashed my computer numerous times

That's cause Skype just sucks :D

xfire -  runs fine on my comp, no problems whatsoever

Same here, I've got a good enough firewall to block out the 'malicious software' heck... I think windows firewall probably could, what DOES try to get through comes through very rarely, and it's usually pretty basic/routine stuff...

Honestly I don't care about in-game chat. I'd like it to at LEAST be able to detect that I'm playing it so it can count my hours and go into my profile. I've put lots of hours into AH and it doesn't even rack them up.

Hey... 3 things I can agree with you on!!

I'd love to see Xfire in game... I know the 17th Air Warriors used to use it, and we tried to petition xfire to put it in game, but we got turned down on the xfire end saying that the game 'was of little to no benifit to the majority of Xfire users as it was so small'?? that was one of those...

:furious :noid :eek: :uhoh :rolleyes:

moments...
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 09:57:38 AM »
Ventrillo is free to use, however setting up a server will cost you.
FlameThink.com

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 01:17:06 PM »
Ventrillo is free to use, however setting up a server will cost you.
That's what I meant, sorry.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 01:21:18 PM »
I'd love to see Xfire in game... I know the 17th Air Warriors used to use it, and we tried to petition xfire to put it in game, but we got turned down on the xfire end saying that the game 'was of little to no benifit to the majority of Xfire users as it was so small'?? that was one of those...

:furious :noid :eek: :uhoh :rolleyes:

moments...
I went through 4 mic's with the same problem with TS.
I've setup my comp to run at least 2 firewalls and I also have Symantec corp version running too.
We just need to get maybe 20-30 guys on their forum to support it. It won't cause security leaks if it's simply detecting that you're playing the game.

FlyKommando.com

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 01:53:48 PM »
I think the security leaks they speak of are just part of running the program it's self since it's always connected to the internet when open.  I personally have had zero problems with the program and I don't even run anti-virus or a firewall.

The one thing I'm curious about is in-game chat and how AH2 would handle the overlay.  I know on my computer AH2 does NOT like it when my caps lock icon appears in the bottom right corner.  Finally had to disable it.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 01:57:23 PM »
Well, better get some AV software! If not, its the same as walking the desert without shoes. Eventually your feet get deep-fried.
FlameThink.com

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 02:40:10 PM »
I think the security leaks they speak of are just part of running the program it's self since it's always connected to the internet when open.  I personally have had zero problems with the program and I don't even run anti-virus or a firewall.

Without a firewall, you could have a dozen trojans happily phoning home and never even know it!

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 03:39:48 PM »
Actually, I've found anti-virus software does more harm then good in my particular case.  It may sound silly to some, but I am experienced enough with computers that I don't really need it.  I've seen MANY virus infestations in the past with anti-virus software and firewalls installed (Many of which I have been hired to fix).  In reality, it's the user more than the software, I'm my own anti-virus software, if that makes any sense.  Not a single pop-up, virus (I scan using an online virus scanner from time to time), or spyware (I use Ad-Aware every month or so) since I've owned this computer! :cool:

Here are a few of the big points for me:
-Install Mozilla Firefox (Incredibly secure internet browsing program, not one virus or spyware since I've used it.)
-Don't install anything if you don't know exactly what it is. (Rule of thumb, if a program is titled Run me!.exe... don't. :confused:)
-Keep any sensitive or important files on an external storage source, just in case.  This way, if you do get a trojan, they cannot access those sensitive files because you only plug it in when you need that file! (Hopefully you know you have a virus before then)  Best firewall there is! :aok
-Keep an eye out for suspicious programs, processes, memory and CPU usage.  A lot of viruses are actually smart enough to "blind" anti-virus software completely.

Now I by no means am saying this is what everyone should do, just a personal choice.  I decided I liked boot-up, sleep, and shut down times along with program performance over anti-virus and firewalls.  (Plus, my router has an SPI firewall, no real need for a software firewall.) :salute
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:45:55 PM by SectorNine50 »

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 05:24:14 PM »
I dislike software firewalls a whole bunch! I recommended the AV because the majority of people I run into have no knowledge of how to browse safely or how to detect the software. I'm sure you're coming along fine if you use that online scanner every once in a while.
FlameThink.com

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 09:09:13 PM »
Actually, I've found anti-virus software does more harm then good in my particular case.  It may sound silly to some, but I am experienced enough with computers that I don't really need it.  I've seen MANY virus infestations in the past with anti-virus software and firewalls installed (Many of which I have been hired to fix).  In reality, it's the user more than the software, I'm my own anti-virus software, if that makes any sense.  Not a single pop-up, virus (I scan using an online virus scanner from time to time), or spyware (I use Ad-Aware every month or so) since I've owned this computer! :cool:

Here are a few of the big points for me:
-Install Mozilla Firefox (Incredibly secure internet browsing program, not one virus or spyware since I've used it.)
-Don't install anything if you don't know exactly what it is. (Rule of thumb, if a program is titled Run me!.exe... don't. :confused:)
-Keep any sensitive or important files on an external storage source, just in case.  This way, if you do get a trojan, they cannot access those sensitive files because you only plug it in when you need that file! (Hopefully you know you have a virus before then)  Best firewall there is! :aok
-Keep an eye out for suspicious programs, processes, memory and CPU usage.  A lot of viruses are actually smart enough to "blind" anti-virus software completely.

Now I by no means am saying this is what everyone should do, just a personal choice.  I decided I liked boot-up, sleep, and shut down times along with program performance over anti-virus and firewalls.  (Plus, my router has an SPI firewall, no real need for a software firewall.) :salute
Um, yeah. My dad majored in computer science so he knows a lot and I've learned everything he knows.

FlyKommando.com