Author Topic: Vista Performance Guide from Microsoft  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Vista Performance Guide from Microsoft
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2008, 06:41:10 PM »
From the technical calls our support center gets regarding Vista issues, the majority are not user related.

ack-ack

Support center? What are you supporting is it a level 2 Service Desk or higher? Can you post up a month of statistics, volume of calls,type of call. And most common root issue,action & resolution. Just interested to know what your actually refering to in more detail.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Geaux

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2008, 09:25:14 PM »
I just built a new system and have no problems with vista.  I was very concerned about it before the build but decided to go with it anyway.  I have had virtually no problems running AHII at max settings.  I do have an occasional stutter due to my hard drive choice but that is rare and doesn't cause any issues.  It is really only when I approach a furball and (6K or dot range) then it is done and I have no more problems. 

EVGA 780i (PCIe 2.0) MB, 4 GB Corsair Memory, Intel E8500 3.16 Ghz C2D, MSI 8800GTS OC 512 MB, WD 500 GB harddrive(7200 rpm AAKS5000), Samsung Syncmaster 2253bw, Antec P182 case.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2008, 11:24:10 PM »
I do have an occasional stutter...

Do you shut down the sidebar before you launch AHII? If not you should.  :aok You have more 'umph' then I do and I dont have stutters. Your HD is the same as mine too.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Geaux

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2008, 12:57:43 AM »
Nope no sidebar running that I know of...

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2008, 01:34:29 AM »
Onboard sound maybe?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2008, 12:39:38 PM »
Support center? What are you supporting is it a level 2 Service Desk or higher? Can you post up a month of statistics, volume of calls,type of call. And most common root issue,action & resolution. Just interested to know what your actually refering to in more detail.

<S>...-Gixer

Unfortunately, I am not able to post the figures as that's slightly confidental but I can say that depending on the time of the month we can average up to 2000 calls a day (usually at the beginning and end of the billing month) but on average about 700-900 calls a day.  Out of those calls, maybe 200 or so are technical related.  Out of those calls technical calls, the majority are related to driver issues in Vista (Vista users make up the smallest number of users but the majority of technical calls), specifically with Nvidia cards and Sounblaster sound cards (majority related to XFi cards).  Resolution is simple, update the video drivers and use the Creative Alchemy software for the Xfi cards.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2008, 06:52:54 PM »

Unfortunately, I am not able to post the figures as that's slightly confidential but I can say that depending on the time of the month we can average up to 2000 calls a day (usually at the beginning and end of the billing month) but on average about 700-900 calls a day.  Out of those calls, maybe 200 or so are technical related.  Out of those calls technical calls, the majority are related to driver issues in Vista (Vista users make up the smallest number of users but the majority of technical calls), specifically with Nvidia cards and Sounblaster sound cards (majority related to XFi cards).  Resolution is simple, update the video drivers and use the Creative Alchemy software for the Xfi cards.

ack-ack

That's not Vista OS related issues per say, if the majority of resolutions are solved by updating drivers from manufactures website it's more a case of people using incorrect/old software drivers for a given OS. It's like TRACKIR forums were full of people complaining about Vista 64bit because the device stopped working when they upgraded from XP to Vista 64bit. Almost a year later down the track TRACKIR realised they forgot to add 64bit drivers to their Vista driver release. Their technical support just kept shrugging their shoulders and saying Vista issue try rebooting your PC.  :lol

I'm not saying Vista doesn't have problems it does. But due to the Internet a lot of the problems are blown way out of proportion. Especially if majority of fixes are as simple as updating drivers, to me that's not a problem it's just common sense and another case of RTFM.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »
That's not Vista OS related issues per say, if the majority of resolutions are solved by updating drivers from manufactures website it's more a case of people using incorrect/old software drivers for a given OS. It's like TRACKIR forums were full of people complaining about Vista 64bit because the device stopped working when they upgraded from XP to Vista 64bit. Almost a year later down the track TRACKIR realised they forgot to add 64bit drivers to their Vista driver release. Their technical support just kept shrugging their shoulders and saying Vista issue try rebooting your PC.  :lol

I'm not saying Vista doesn't have problems it does. But due to the Internet a lot of the problems are blown way out of proportion. Especially if majority of fixes are as simple as updating drivers, to me that's not a problem it's just common sense and another case of RTFM.

<S>...-Gixer

It was a specific issue with Vista and the Nvidia drivers which was recently addressed by Nvidia 2 driver revisions ago.  Prior to the fixed driver revision, those with Geforce 8xxxx series were pretty much unable to play our game under Vista.  Back then our only resolution to the issue was suggest they revert back to XP or play our game on a PS2 or Xbox 360.  Same with the Soundblaster problem, until Creative released Alchemy, those with Soundblaster cards were pretty much arsed out as well.

That's not to say that XP has been a walk through the park for us either, XP users make up the majority of our tech support calls relating to connection issues.  We also see a large amount of XP users calling our support center to report their accounts being hacked, usually through the myriad of security loopholes within XP that make such things possible.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song