Author Topic: Carrier takeoffs  (Read 879 times)

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
Carrier takeoffs
« on: August 06, 2008, 04:10:26 PM »
If im in a carrier, and headed to a base, I often take a full F4U 1D (in terms of ordinance, not fuel). I try to take off in one, and use WEP but, that only has a success rate of 1 in 17. To take off, should i use my flaps or some such?
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Carrier takeoffs
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 04:13:41 PM »
If you have 2000lbs of bombs, 500lbs or more of rockets, and fuel, you MUST use full flaps, [Edit: Practically speaking] and even then you might barely make it depending on how well you can handle your ride. Full throttle, hit WEP, as you roll pop flaps so that at the end of the runway you have full flaps, and pull your gear up the second you're off the bow, as it acts as a speed brake.

As you gain a little altitude and speed slowly retract your flaps so that you don't instantly drop into the water once you are off the bow and think "Okay, now pull the flaps up".

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
Like Krusty said drop your flaps all the way and use WEP and you can get one off with 100% fuel and full ammo load. raise your gear soon as you get off the deck and try to level out then raise your flap one notch at a time as you get some speed. should be good to go.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 04:29:33 PM »
It might help to hold the brakes while the motor spools up. Also try to keep the nose from lifting before the end of the deck.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 04:35:25 PM »
One other trick that helps a lot is to back up on the deck first, so you can get a longer takeoff roll and have a bit more speed as you lift off.

To do that, start your engine and drop full flaps.  Now, advance the throttle a tiny amount, so the main gear brakes unlock.  You'll now start to slowly roll/blow backwards since the CV is moving forward at about 50 mph.  That's just enough wind resistance to allow you to back up.

Use your rear view to judge how close you want to get to the rear of the cv, and simply advance the throttle and takeoff when you're ready.

If you have your throttle advanced too little or too much.  There's a "sweet spot" you're looking for.

As you gain experience you'll probably find you don't need to back up, but at first it can sure make things easier.

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 04:54:02 PM »
Baby steps mtnman, let him crawl before he walks :)

Backing up is a little more on the advanced side and it helps to be able to take off (consistently) before he distracts himself with that extra step :)

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 04:58:13 PM »
A fully loaded aircraft always takes off from the CV using Autotakeoff, full flaps and WEP. Just sit there and retract flaps one notch at a time slowly after take off.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 05:00:49 PM by Rolex »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 05:24:42 PM »
I'm not too sure about that. I recall many a time in the past auto pilot would plow you into the water and ditch you (or worse let the CV ram you from behind), if you were in a slower plane with a very heavy load.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 05:29:57 PM »
If you're not sure, you should test it.

Another little tip for manual takeoffs is to bank right a few degrees after take off.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 05:38:21 PM by Rolex »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 05:30:11 PM »
A F4UD with full payload and internal fuel will take of on autopilot with full flaps & WEP engaged from start. It's wheels  may  briefly touch the water, but it will make it everytime.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Toof

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 05:59:06 PM »
I've manged to get off a carrier with most anything using the same method most 262/264 pilots use. Stand on the brakes, throttle up, and in the case of a prop plane, hit WEP and let everything get up to speed. It at least works for a fully loaded Hellcat(rockets + 2 100lber's) Not sure how much different the wing loading on a F4U may be, but it's a starting point. I never take off from a carrier with flaps down. May need to drop a notch or two in a Corsair, but that may be a starting point at least.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 06:08:50 PM »
never use the auto takeoff on the cv, manual take off like i described i never come close to hitting water unless the cv starts to turn without notice from someone.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 06:48:31 PM »
I had a couple of guys practicing in the TA getting off of a carrier with full loads of ordnance. They were only taking 50% fuel. Going to full tanks resulted in several crashes.

I showed them that full flaps solves the problem without undue drama.

I also showed them that you get airborne, turn around and land with the full load of ordnance still under the wings.

Proper technique is all that is required. Thus, if you are having issues, stop by the TA and log some takeoffs and landings. If you wish some personal help, PM me and we'll schedule it.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Marshal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 06:55:42 PM »
If you do use auto takeoff you can still retract your gear the second you leave the deck instead of waiting for the auto retract. This way you do not have to worry about water skiing.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 07:08:51 PM »
Hmmm... I've never used more than 2 notches of flaps in a fully loaded F6F-5 (WEP on).  I get a very very minor dip off the end of the deck but nothing dramatic.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.