Author Topic: Large Hadron Collider  (Read 645 times)

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Large Hadron Collider
« on: August 07, 2008, 01:25:18 PM »
This weekend the Large Hadron Collider will begin to be turned on, this is a particle accelerator that is 17 miles in circumference, and cost over 5 billion just to build.  It will speed up particles to 99.99% the speed of light, and slammed into each other recreating part of the big bang.  There are some fears that it will create a black hole which will destroy the Earth, but the scientist say the chance of this happening are really small.  It won't be turned on completely until September 10th.

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/07/1252902.aspx
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: Large Hadron Collider
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 01:27:40 PM »
If before the big bang the entire universe was collected up in an incredibly dense and small ball, what did it collide with to set it off?

:P
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Slamfire

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 01:40:16 PM »
If before the big bang the entire universe was collected up in an incredibly dense and small ball, what did it collide with to set it off?

Allah!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:42:21 PM by Slamfire »
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Chief Marshal, Elite Top Aces
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 01:47:21 PM »
ace pilots  :furious
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline MoeRon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 01:55:49 PM »
William Shatner  :aok
Lotteries are a tax for people who suck at math.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 01:58:08 PM »
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Winks

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 02:00:14 PM »

mmmmmmmmm........ Good point :O
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:02:52 PM by Winks »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 02:01:50 PM »
I just want to take this oppurtunity to say its been nice knowing all... er... most of you.  :salute
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 02:32:53 PM »
Am I the only one who mis-reads the title of this thread? :eek
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 02:40:56 PM »

Nice joke but bad premise. I am supposing you know there was no universe until after the bang?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 03:07:33 PM »

The hand of God.

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »
Am I the only one who mis-reads the title of this thread? :eek

Mis-read?  Or Freudian slip?  Hmmmm........

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 03:34:09 PM »

There was no before.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 06:09:18 PM »
Put it another way, before the universe, there was nothing, since there was no universe for it to exist in. Then that thing that didn't exist, in a place that also didn't exist, blew up?  :confused:
 :devil
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 06:28:29 PM »
Put it another way, before the universe, there was nothing, since there was no universe for it to exist in. Then that thing that didn't exist, in a place that also didn't exist, blew up?  :confused:
 :devil

Cosmology holds that spacetime started at the BB.

As there was no empty space and there was no time... before ... the BB, before the BB is undifined.  It is off the time map.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!