Author Topic: Carrier takeoffs  (Read 881 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Carrier takeoffs
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 07:42:10 PM »
I'm going to restate if it already has been, but when you get off the deck, don't jump the gun and pull all your flaps back up. You'll still crash into the water. Pull them up one at a time in 10 second intervals, if you start to dip too close again, pop a notch back out.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 03:13:15 AM »
tonight i paid attention, -1D 100% fuel, 2 1k bombs and 8 rockets and only needed 2 notches of flap with wep. probably didn't even need wep.

Offline HAMMERR

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 10:41:02 AM »
I agree whiteman, I never use more than 2 notches of flaps even in a full heavy -1D with 100% gas.

my process...

Hold brakes till full WEP spinup...
Wait till I pass the front turret..
tap 2 notches flaps
retract gear immediately off the end of the deck
plane usually falls 10-20 feet but i never tap the water.

The benefit is that since your carrying more speed than with the full flaps, the plane is more stable.  This method works even on fully turning carriers in either direction.

NOTE:  If the cruiser is cutting in front of the carrier, you can deploy full flaps 3-4 seconds AFTER you have left the deck and raised gear, your higher speed will allow the flaps to boost you gently over the cruiser.  Dont pull back on the stick, just extend flaps and youll rise up rapidly.  Sometimes i even have to push forwards to keep from buffeting.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 12:44:29 PM »
Or you could back up and use no flaps :P
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 12:55:28 PM »
Or you could back up and use no flaps :P

My luck my hand slips, hits the wrong button and i fall off the back of the ship.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 01:43:15 PM »

Hold brakes till full WEP spinup...
Wait till I pass the front turret..
tap 2 notches flaps
retract gear immediately off the end of the deck
plane usually falls 10-20 feet but i never tap the water.

Agreed, especially on the bolded part.  You can start dumping flaps at that stage, and you will drop a bit off the CV, but just be prepared for it and you will be fine.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 08:43:54 AM »
Using auto takeoff works off the carrier unless you are using a longer wingspan AC/ie P-38 etc.  :noid  :rolleyes:
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 11:54:44 AM »
My luck my hand slips, hits the wrong button and i fall off the back of the ship.

There used to be a bug that if you backed up on the carrier with your tailhook down it would sling you off the back of the cv. It might still do it but I haven't made the mistake of doing it in a while.

Lambo
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 04:02:43 PM »
Just gotta say-

I find it a tad bit humerous that in the Help and Training section, when someone asks for advice on takeoffs (a basic part of flight), an autopilot feature (Auto Takeoff) is recommended...

My 2 cents... (Which I'd wager is worth far less than it was when the saying originated...)

MtnMan

I remember back in the dark ages when I had trouble recovering from spins someone told me to hit Auto-level.  Did it work?  Maybe.  Did it teach me to fly/recover on my own?  Nope.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 04:04:39 PM by mtnman »
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson